SASS Wire Forum

Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk.

Heybob

I have a pair of New Ruger Vaquero`s and wish to change the original hammers for low profile hammers. I have made up my mind that I would like to use 'Blackhawk Hammers'. Looking at posts on the web there are several posts about hammers that can be dropped straight into the New Ruger Vaquero without much gunsmithing to make them fit, however, some posts say use 'Blackhawk' others say 'Super Blackhawk'. My question to members is :- Which hammers should I use for my 'New Ruger Vaquero`s ? Any advice would be welcome. Thank you in advance. Heybob.

Blackhawk hammers are not "low".    Some folks posting must think they can drop the "Super" part with impunity.  Well, they just caught you.

You want the Super Blackhawk hammers.

Good luck, GJ

That would be the "Super Blackhawk" hammer.  The Blackhawk is more Colt-like in its profile.

Original Vaqueros were based on the Super Blackhawk .44 mag.  The Super Blackhawk hammer was an easy retro fit.

New Vaqueros are based on the 50th anniversary .357 Blackhawk.  It is a smaller pistol in many/most dimensions.

HeyBob,

A good many GF'ers and Duelist have switched to the SBH hammers and love them.

BUT, for the Traditional style shooter (thumb'rs),  Many of those that I know still prefer the original style/profile hammer.

Just wanted to pass along some  general info about those hammers.   They do make a difference.

Good luck.

..........Widder

Super Blackhawk hammers drop into 50th anniversary as well.  At least they did in the four 50th I've changed out. 

Midway has them in stock 

Wow, I only joined SASS Wire about 11 hours ago, and have had my question answered by these members, Garrison Joe, Griff, Joke'um, Widder, Twelve Mile Reb and Canton Chris. I am so surprised at the response I got to my question, no " O`h you could try this or try that" just a straight answer to my question. Thank you guy`s for helping me. SASS Wire Forum is really for me. Heybob.

Been using Super Blackhawk hammers on my four NMVs for years - love 'em - and I use both hands. Much easier to thumb the hammer with my somewhat arthritic right thumb since the hammer spurs are much lower than the original ones.

Hi Joe Cross, thank  you for your input, I too have problems with my left thumb so I am glad to hear the Super Black Hawk hammers will help with that. Heybob.

Archived