SASS Wire Forum

Old Powder

Pat Riot

A friend of mine moved to Hawaii. He couldn’t take reloading supplies with him due to their laws (please don’t get into it over laws...thanks)

Anyway, he gave me a bunch of powder canisters that are obviously old. They all have powder in them. They have all been opened. There are no seals under the caps. 
I have never used any of these powders and I sure won’t use these. 
I was going to dump the powder and get rid of the cans. 

Would anyone like to have them?

0104A966-ABAA-44E9-855A-66F85626AD12.thumb.jpeg.3c07599bc033f6f3ddb030ddfd4e48c3.jpeg

231 is a great powder for low/medium power pistol loads, I've used it since it was 230 in most all my handgun loads except heavy magnums. Couple I might adopt depending on the shipping cost. Shipping is a killer nowdays.

JHC

29 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

231 is a great powder for low/medium power pistol loads, I've used it since it was 230 in most all my handgun loads except heavy magnums. Couple I might adopt depending on the shipping cost. Shipping is a killer nowdays.

JHC

Yeah, I don’t know l, Capt. This stuff has been stored in a garage in the high desert for I am guessing at least 25 years. I was just wondering if anyone wanted the cans for decoration. I wouldn’t trust the powder. 

I don't think that anyone without a HazMat is allowed to ship powder or primers. I find that fire ant mounds really dislike SMOKELESS gunpowder that has been ignited. The cans are interesting though. Win 231 is a great powder!

I have used powder that old.  Worked fine.  Years ago I did a lot of shooting and reloading.  We started our own business and had no time to shoot for 20 years.  When I started up again,  the powder measure on the Dillon 450 was half full of Unique.  I just adjusted the dies and started loading.  No problems.   I found I had an unopened 8lb can of Unique. The can was a paper type.  I know it was at least 20 years old. 

I would probaly use it if it didn't smell funny    But no reasonable to get it         GW

I am shooting military surplus 4895 that my Dad and Grandfather bought in 1950. If it was kept dry and doesn't look powdery, it is probably good. I would try a little in a light load, if it goes bang ....use it.

11 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I am shooting military surplus 4895 that my Dad and Grandfather bought in 1950. If it was kept dry and doesn't look powdery, it is probably good. I would try a little in a light load, if it goes bang ....use it.

Few years ago I loaded some 4320 in my old Mauser that was back when I started reloading in the 70's, worked fine. The price tag was 8.99 so it had been around awhile.

JHC

Pretty much prefer it if was in the hight desert. Low ambient humidity in a closed container.

Now if it was Florida or Louisiana I might be cautious testing it but I've used powder 10-15 years old.

None of this powder smells funny. But I don’t have a Haz-Mat license. Cannot ship it. I could ship the cans though. I thought about keeping them, but I have enough crap to pack when I move again. 

I will not be reloading with this powder. 

The old cans are collector items.  Blue Dot is a fine pistol powder, I could use all of those old powders.  Unless the are really strong smelling they should be fine.  Put the cans on Ebay and see if the  fish are biting.

STL Suomi

Take them to a match and give them away. I have used powder that was over 40 years old and had been moved all over the country. Just finished off some  bullseye powder that I bought in the 70's. Just my experience. 

Silver Rings 

I’d take the cans to add to my collection, if they’re still available.

20 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

They are. They’re yours if you want em. We’ll just have to figure where to meet up sometime soon. I can’t shoot a match yet. My wrist ain’t up for it yet so I won’t be doing that anytime soon. 

PM me your address. It can’t cost all that much to ship some cans. 

Pat,

I'd be interested in the 231 powder, Yul can have the cans unless he wants the powder too. I am using some 231 now (in those same cans) and it works great. 

Let me know.

Ethan

3 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

9 minutes ago, Ethan Cord said:

Pat,

I'd be interested in the 231 powder, Yul can have the cans unless he wants the powder too. I am using some 231 now (in those same cans) and it works great. 

Let me know.

Ethan

Maybe we could meet up next weekend. I’ll give you gents the cans with the powder in em and you can do as you wish with them. 

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Maybe we could meet up next weekend. I’ll give you gents the cans with the powder in em and you can do as you wish with them. 

Thanks!

Let Ethan have what he wants. I’m just interested in the empty cans to add to my wall art.

If its been kept dry, isn't clumping, has a good "solvent" smell,  and no acrid odor I'd try it a few rounds.....if its okay shoot it up!  I've powder at least 40 years old kept dry and still good.   Only had one powder go bad in near 60 years of loading and that was a lb container of Accurate 3100.   It had been opened but again stored in dry conditions and none of the other of the same powder degraded.  It was a smelly acrid mess.   Note that this powder is no longer available.

Archived