SASS Wire Forum

What's a reasonable price for primers

Go West

I have 1,000 Remington LP primers and would like to know what a reasonable price would be for all or per 100. I also have 400 CCI SP primers and would like to know what is reasonable for those. I'll bring them to one of the matches next month.

4 minutes ago, Go West said:

I have 1,000 Remington LP primers and would like to know what a reasonable price would be for all or per 100. I also have 400 CCI SP primers and would like to know what is reasonable for those. I'll bring them to one of the matches next month.

Right now small pistol seem to be going for a lot more than large pistol. Small pistol should sell pretty fast at $10 per 100. If you look at prices on Gunbroker, small pistol are going for over $200 per 1000. If someone is out and can't shoot I think they would be glad to pay $10 per 100 for a few 100 and hope the shortage will loosen up. I think large pistol should go for at least $6 to $8 per 100 or more.

Just my opinion.

Randy

No primers being sold right now have reasonable prices.   :excl: 

The price I'm willing to pay - $0 a thousand.  Almost everyone is marking prices up too much, considering I stocked up at end of LAST primer shortage.

Sometimes at the big-box sporting stores (Bass Pro, Cabelas, Sportsman's) you may find they got a shipment in the last 15 minutes that has not sold out.  They are resisting raising prices at most stores.  But that also means they have no inventory almost all the time.

At this point, if you need primers, don't worry about the price.  Either pay the asking prices when you find what you can use, or stop shooting.   Hard choice, but becomes easy when you realize that panic buying and hoarding and profiteering has once again screwed up the just-in-time stocking systems that almost all stores/distributors/factories are using.   Trying to price-shop right now is just about impossible.

Good luck, GJ

LGS I went into 2 weeks ago wanted $99 for 209's or $9.99 for a sleeve of 100. They had 2K.

Call me weird, I have 15,000 each of large and small pistol. I won't shoot that much in 6 years. I offered my club members a deal. I'll give you a 100 or a thousand if you replace them when the shortage is over.  So far only one member has asked for some SPP.

If someone has an excess of primers they need to help out fellow shooters and give them a fair price. I'd say $40 per thousand would be fair. For those trying to gouge people by charging $100 per thousand, folks will remember. Or, do what Irish Ike has proposed above. Kudo's to those that do the right thing.

I'm sure a good friend would eventually replace your primers down the road. But offering them to someone and having them being replaced (when the shortage is over) or (when prices come back down) could be a problem. So far in past shortages prices have come back down close to what they were before. But one day we may be wrong. What if the future price for a thousand bottoms out at 50, 60 or 70 dollars, if not forever but for a couple of years? I can see some of the wheeler dealers becoming hesitant to replace primers at $70 cost. How long do you want to wait to see if they return to $30?

I realized back in November that I was kidding myself about eventually being able to resume shooting. I had about 50,000 primers on hand and decided to go to the Save Fort Parker shoot and rid myself of some. I priced the Winchesters at $65 epr 1000, the CCI at $55 and the Tula's at $45. I didn't come home with very many. These people were and are my friends, so I saw no reason to hammer them with prices that are ridiculous. By the way, I sleep very well at night.

2 hours ago, Go West said:

I highly suggest that you hold onto what you have at this point. Selling 1,400 primers is not going to amount to much money in your pocket and if you reload...you will regret selling them later.

If they "before panic" were priced at about $33 per thou, then it would be very kind to pass them on to your buddies somewhere around $50 per thou.

GJ

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Call me weird, I have 15,000 each of large and small pistol. I won't shoot that much in 6 years. I offered my club members a deal. I'll give you a 100 or a thousand if you replace them when the shortage is over.  So far only one member has asked for some SPP.

This is my policy as well.

I currently have 3,000 LPP out with this agreement.

To be honest if I don't get them back....... Oh well.

I would not have made the offer if I were desperate for primers myself.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Go West said:

I don't reload these primers and am not looking to gouge. I thought some might want them more than I.

Why not look for a trade instead of selling them?

BTW, I got some Federal SPP for $79.99 for 1000 which is twice as much as before the craziness! That's my limit!

4 hours ago, Go West said:

I'll take them off your hands.  I'll send you a PM.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Why not look for a trade instead of selling them?

BTW, I got some Federal SPP for $79.99 for 1000 which is twice as much as before the craziness! That's my limit!

I would have bought 10,000 at that price. 

I purchased 2,000 Federal Large Pistol for $140 from a local range two weeks ago.   By todays standards that's a steal. 

Federal Small Pistol are going for .25 each and up on Gunbroker and getting plenty of bids.

Use your best judgement. Showing up at a club gouging will cost you reputation and friends. I just sold some for what I paid for them and strengthened a friendship.

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I would have bought 10,000 at that price. 

I purchased 2,000 Federal Large Pistol for $140 from a local range two weeks ago.   By todays standards that's a steal. 

Federal Small Pistol are going for .25 each and up on Gunbroker and getting plenty of bids.

They were only allowing 100 at a time. ($7.99 for 100) My sons went in at different times for a couple days and racked me up 1000. They would buy 100 and then go back in 10 minutes later and go to a different cashier! They did this in a couple weeks time. It's a big local store with about 4 locations. They usually have 3 cashiers working. My sons did up their Pops!!:lol:

Sell them for what it would cost you to replace.   If you can't buy new ones for less than 200 that's a fair value.  If you can replace them for 40 a k then that's what you do.   Right now I won't sell any of mine for less than 100 a 1000. my supplier said I won't be able to get another pallet anytime soon, so what I have may need to last me years. 

I paid $70 for 1000 Winchester LPP this morning. Not happy, but realistic at this time. I may pick up some more from him later.

Last summer when I started shooting SASS I had only about 500 LP primers.  A club member graciously sold me 2000 for the price marked on them when he bought them: $30/1000.  Two weeks ago I found a brick of LP at a gun store for $50/1000.  So my average is just under $35/1000 for what I have.

My gut feel is primers will start to become available late this year, and I think the price will eventually settle at around $50/1000.  I might buy a few more if I find some at $70/1000, but not any higher than that.

DARN, and my best bud came over yesterday and picked up several thousand primers, mostly SP, LP and LPM,  and lots of bullets!  No black powder, BP Subs,  round balls or caps are going to leave my house though!!!  He is going to now crank back up on halves for me, great deal for me as I am almost out of 9mm range ammo!  When the shortages end is the time to start shopping, not after a crisis begins!  My weak spot seems to have been LR primers, who new I would want to load a few 45/75s, darn-it ??????

If primer costs go $50 or higher after this current episode, the manufacturer’s  will be gouging unless labor costs go up materially. Just before the shut down, I paid $38 a brick for Federal LR and LP

I expect the prices on all ammo and components to stay higher for a few months more due to paying so much overtime and training expenses.

At gunshow in Corpus Christi today. A vendor had primers for $400/K!

I just gave a friend the option of replace or buy for $40/1000. He said he would buy 2000 that I offered to sell him. I figure that is about what I paid for them. I don't have enough that I would feel comfortable selling any more. I am not going to charge a Cowboy more than I paid for them.

kR

6 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

I just gave a friend the option of replace or buy for $40/1000. He said he would buy 2000 that I offered to sell him. I figure that is about what I paid for them. I don't have enough that I would feel comfortable selling any more. I am not going to charge a Cowboy more than I paid for them.

kR

True words spoken Kid Rich & I agree with yah. 

Archived