SASS Wire Forum

WTB Ruger cylinders

Copenhagen Kid

questions guys since you have been in the game longer than this youngster;  If I buy a Ruger Vaquero in 40 caliber can I find a 38-40 cylinder anywhere for it?  I already bought one that has the 38-40 and 40 cylinder in 4.75  I see another one posted but it is a 40 caliber only I would be tempted to buy it if I can make that work with my other one.  Thoughts??

I looked for over a year for one and never found 1,finally someone offered one to me for the price of a new vaquero. 

I couldnt justify it, after another year or 2 I sent the gun off to hamilton bowen and he rechambered one. Not cheap, cheaper though. 

Since then I've given up on rugers and shoot a pair of 3rd gen colts in 38-40 and currently have a pair of 1890 remington uberti in 357 off to bowen waiting to have cylinders rebored and barrels cut and rifled for 38-40.  A stupid waste of money but I love the caliber and the guns

Be careful about buying other cylinders to ream out, there is alot of length differences, both in the overall length and even the actual length of the cylinder.  I found that out when making the 44/40 cylinders for my Vaqueros.  .357 cylinders were way to short and the revolver barrel would have to be set back to get a decent end gap.  Finally used a 41 mag cylinder and it was actually too long!

If the gun you're looking at was originally a "convertible" from the factory(2 cylinder gun), you most likely could send it back to Ruger and get them to make/fit the missing cylinder.  Being a less common caliber, you should call them first to make sure though...

Archived