SASS Wire Forum

What to do....

Black RZR

I got a semi auto pistol. Springfield XD in 40 s&w. It's a double stack holds 12. I plan on selling, but what to replace it with. I have alot of 9mm but only 1 gun to shoot it. My wife's micro SIG. My favorite semi to shoot is a 1911, it's in 45. So I'm torn between getting another 1911 but in 9mm or another pair of ruger wranglers. I would use them for practice at home and since our club adopted a 22 class. They would be useful. The pair I already have are for my daughter. And I don't want to keep wearing hers out on me....what to do

In order to keep this thread "SASS-related", I would advise selling the XD and purchasing a pair of Ruger Wranglers.

(I got mine at Bi-Mart) 

;)

Ooh I did check out the blackhawk conversion. I like the Matt black though it seems it's only in 45 Colt/acp. 

I wish they made these conversion cylinder for vaquero...

Just got back from the range with my Ruger Wranglers after doing a little smoothing up of metal and lightening of springs. Fun to shoot and decent practice guns.

Depending on the ammo used they ranged from 100% reliable (180 rounds with 0 FTF of Federal bulk and 100 rounds CCI mini mag) to 97% (100 rounds of Thunderbolt bulk 3 FTF)  to 90% with Winchester bulk (110 rounds with 11 FTF). Lots of fun to shoot so my recommendation is get the Wranglers if you have the ammo. Loading gate is still a bit of a pain but livable.

Then if you have a little bit of extra cash maybe a sig 938 (my personal favorite) :D:D

Respectfully

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

2 hours ago, Black RZR said:

Ooh I did check out the blackhawk conversion. I like the Matt black though it seems it's only in 45 Colt/acp. 

I wish they made these conversion cylinder for vaquero...

I have a pair of .45 Colt/ .45 acp Vaquero convertibles but I haven't seen .357/ 9mm Vaqueros.

Randy

ammo used ranged from 100% reliable (...Federal bulk and CCI mini mag) to 97% (Thunderbolt...)  to 90% (Winchester bulk)

Reliability of cheap .22 ammo is LUCKY to be at 97% function these last 15 years. The primer compound is not distributed uniformly around the rims.  Thunderbolts are notorious.   Cheap Winchester are notorious.  Even Federal Champions have some problems.  If you don't believe this, take one round that did not fire.  Chuck it carefully in a vise between wood blocks, but put no pressure on the rim!  Pull the slug with pliers.  Dump the powder.  Use strong light and examine primer.  Bet it's missing at the spot where firing pin strike was.   You can rotate those dud rounds to hit the rim in a different spot and you usually get it to fire.   It's all about lack of quality assurance on the cheap ammo!   It's not the firearm, almost always.

Best bulk .22 ammo for reliable function I have found is the Federal Auto Match. If you want a good standard velocity .22 with great accuracy in most guns, get the Fed #711B  standard velocity Gold Medal Match ammo.    A little pricey, but very good.

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Reliability of cheap .22 ammo is LUCKY to be at 97% function these last 15 years. The primer compound is not distributed uniformly around the rims.  Thunderbolts are notorious.   Cheap Winchester are notorious.  Even Federal Champions have some problems.  If you don't believe this, take one round that did not fire.  Chuck it carefully in a vise between wood blocks, but put no pressure on the rim!  Pull the slug with pliers.  Dump the powder.  Use strong light and examine primer.  Bet it's missing at the spot where firing pin strike was.   You can rotate those dud rounds to hit the rim in a different spot and you usually get it to fire.   It's all about lack of quality assurance on the cheap ammo!   It's not the firearm, almost always.

Best bulk .22 ammo for reliable function I have found is the Federal Auto Match. If you want a good standard velocity .22 with great accuracy in most guns, get the Fed #711B  standard velocity Gold Medal Match ammo.    A little pricey, but very good.

good luck, GJ

Totally agree with the junk ammo observation. I was actually quite surprised that I had so FEW FTF. Took the FTF rounds turned them 90 degrees and all went off on the second go. Began the search for decent 22 ammo years ago. I have some Browning Buckmarks that are very picky and will not run a full magazine of anything except CCI mini-mag or some of my very limited supply of older Stingers. My Rugers like Auto match, others guns like other makes of ammo. Sometimes hard to keep it all straight so I mark some the boxes of ammo as to which firearm it goes with.

YMMV

Regards

Gateway Kid

14 hours ago, Black RZR said:

I got a semi auto pistol. Springfield XD in 40 s&w. It's a double stack holds 12. I plan on selling, ...

Sale a firearm?   What a foreign concept. 

12 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I have a pair of .45 Colt/ .45 acp Vaquero convertibles but I haven't seen .357/ 9mm Vaqueros.

Randy

I do also.  The ones I have are the old model Vaquero, I have not seen them in the new models.

10 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Totally agree with the junk ammo observation. I was actually quite surprised that I had so FEW FTF. Took the FTF rounds turned them 90 degrees and all went off on the second go. Began the search for decent 22 ammo years ago. I have some Browning Buckmarks that are very picky and will not run a full magazine of anything except CCI mini-mag or some of my very limited supply of older Stingers. My Rugers like Auto match, others guns like other makes of ammo. Sometimes hard to keep it all straight so I mark some the boxes of ammo as to which firearm it goes with.

YMMV

Regards

Gateway Kid

We have .22 Matches every other Tuesday at our local range.  For some reason my Anschutz are most accurate when firing the Eley Ammo.

1 hour ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

I do also.  The ones I have are the old model Vaquero, I have not seen them in the new models.

Mine are Original Models as well, they are what I started with. I originally bought them when I was shooting Bullseye Pistol to shoot up .45 acp rounds that I didn't like. I never put the .45 Colt cylinders in until I started CAS.

Randy

It is a small world, I was president of the Brassmasters' Precision Pistol Club, Bullseye, at the White Horse Education and firearms Center in West Virginia at one time.  I never thought of using my Vaqueros there.

Archived