SASS Wire Forum

73 winchester timing problem

Currahee

34 minutes ago, Ranger Dan said:

Does your rifle still have the lever safety and does it work? Next most likely is you are hitting the hammer with your thumb and slowing it down.

My thoughts also.

J.M.

The Hammer spring may be too light.  I did that when I started to get faster and had light hits and and occasional OOB.  I have the lever safety.  I solved the problem by increasing the hammer spring tension.

guess that the timing problem is with your trigger finger

VERY VERY common for 73 shooters to start going faster, and find they kick out an occasional round with a light dimple on primer.   To solve, you have to practice while paying VERY conscious attention to getting the lever fully closed, then tripping the trigger.  

If you still have the factory spring installed on the lever safety (the spring-loaded tip of metal that sticks out behind the trigger through the lower tang of the 73), you REALLY have to pay attention to pulling the lever snugly against the lower tang.  At speed, it's very hard to close that up enough to disengage the lever safety 100%, with the factory spring in.  Put in a torsion coil spring (aka, mousetrap spring) available from many parts suppliers like Cowboys and Indian or Longhunters Supply.

THEN you can practice - LEVER then TRIGGER.    See how fast you can keep repeating that.  Then see if you can shoot so the gun (and your hand) matches the words.   When you can keep up with that tempo, then stop verbalizing and just shoot.   I've seen shooters who can get past this stage in a couple of weeks, and others who don't figure it out reliably for months.

Have someone watch your trigger finger to see if you have it

*  outside the guard or

*  inside the guard

as you close the lever.  If your finger is inside the guard, you need to learn to keep it out of the guard as long as you can (until lever is full closed).    Both for ensuring you don't pull the trigger early, and to avoid jamming the tip of the trigger into your trigger finger!!   Seen several shooters do that, too.  It really hurts!  The finger gets trapped between the end of trigger and the front edge of the lever's loop, and as you put effort on the lever to close it, the trigger grabs the finger tip and cuts into it.

good luck, GJ

I agreed it’s likely a timing issue with your technique vs the rifle. 

23 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

outside the guard or

*  inside the guard

I shoot my rifle a little different as I keep my trigger finger in the guard and time it so I am on the trigger as the lever fully closes one the lever safety.  For me, I find it faster. 

May be another technique the OP can try. 

Totes

Archived