SASS Wire Forum

Rossi/Interarms '92s?

Dantankerous

Found two of these locally. Seem to be in very unused condition. 44 mag and 44-40.  Nice wood and nice blueing. Actions OK. Both model 65 SRC.

I'd personally not use them for CAS as I shoot Classic Cowboy, so how are they for general useage and quality? Might be a good loaner for new shooters though. Certainly would be used for casual shooting.

All helpful comments appreciated!

Thanks!

I've had nine, and still have five - two .357's, two .44-40's, and one .44 mag. No problems, other than a broken firing pin in one of the .357's my daughter used extensively in CAS.

Replace the extractor ejector spring with something lighter, and they're GRREEEAAAAT!

TonyTiger.jpg

14 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

...Replace the extractor spring for something lighter, and they're GRREEEAAAAT!

I know you meant ejector spring.  ;)

Hi,

They would be fine for CAS or casual plinking in either caliber. They are lightweight, easy to use, pretty reliable and very 'cowboy looking' given all the western TV programs and films that made use of them.  Pick the one you reload for as ammo is expensive and hard to find in normal times (even harder now) for 44-40,  44mag cowboy loads and 44 special. (If you want to go cheaper ammo-wise (factory or handloads), hold out for a 38/357 caliber one.)

(Sometimes with the dual caliber models (38/357 and 44mag/44 spec), you need to make longer than normal OAL rounds if shooting the shorter case ammo for proper feeding. This isn't always a problem, but it can occur.)

It's called 'pitcher mouthing'  and occurs as the case is extracted and ejected; the rim of the case mouth can catch on the top inside edge of the barrel as it is being pulled out of the chamber and kicked out of the action.  I've had it occur with some 44-40s, but I have not had it happen with any other calibers.  Like the other 'Johnson' said, have the ejector spring replaced and that should improve if it is a problem.

Check out this thread as well:

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Found two of these locally. Seem to be in very unused condition. 44 mag and 44-40.  Nice wood and nice blueing. Actions OK. Both model 65 SRC.

I'd personally not use them for CAS as I shoot Classic Cowboy, so how are they for general useage and quality? Might be a good loaner for new shooters though. Certainly would be used for casual shooting.

All helpful comments appreciated!

Thanks!

The InterArms rossi's can be pretty rough depending on when they were made. 

For years dating back to about 1975 the made in Brazil Rossi 92 was imported by InterArms of Alexandria VA. Before InterArms. From about 1968-74 Garcia Corp. of Washington DC imported Rossi. Before that Firearms International of Washington DC imported Rossi in the mid 1960’s.

InterArms was the first to market the Rossi made 92 as their Puma model. By the late 80's the machines were wearing out so through the 90's Rossi 92’s were really rough. The parts were poorly fitted and then terribly over sprung. Rossi’s philosophy was to make the parts slightly too big then rather than hand fit them, just use excessively heavy springs. This saved many man-hours that keeps the prices low. When you picked up one of these guns even before you loaded it you could tell it was very stiff right out of the box. Because of this, these earlier guns Rossi got a bad rep. But, that is also what got me started re-working these guns in the early 90’s. The CAS game was growing big time but the availability of guns for the game was limited.
        About 1999 the owner of InterArms passed away. It is my understanding the heirs didn't care to continue with the operation of InterArms so the stock on hand was sold off at a reduced price. (I bought new Rossi 92's at that time for $190). 
       About this time, around 2000, Rossi completely re-tooled with all new CNC machines. This new machinery has allowed them to make parts better fitted. There are still some that are over sprung but overall the current guns are much nicer than the late pre-2000 92’s. About this same time Navy Arms had started importing the Rossi 92's. Then not long after, the ex-employees of InterArms started up Legacy Sports International (LSI) and began importing the Rossi 92 as their Puma. These were the first to have the ugly bolt top safety. LSI was even in the same building as the old InterArms company there in Alexandria Va. and were using the Puma name as the model name, too. Then and I don't remember exactly, LSI moved to Reno NV.
During this time frame EMF and Navy imported the Rossi's as well.

About 2009 Taurus acquired Rossi and the 92's and have taken over the distribution.

It's hard to date the InterArms Rossi's. There are some clues. They didn't have the ugly bolt top add-on safety. They all had these BB gun sights.

DSCN0006.thumb.JPG.18b54e0230da5a069fc809d7e0b51fd3.JPG

DSCN0004.thumb.JPG.c1518309190567576676dd1ae405c785.JPG

For CAS I figured out a way to get a more useful set.

DSCN0296.thumb.JPG.01a9770ba8a2da460447d7215e9a0920.JPG

I started working the Rosasi 92's back in the early 90's because of the 44-40 guns. Those guns were so stiff over sprun they would crush the case mouths. But, if you refit the various parts so they will run with lighter spring you will end up with a smooth running gun that won't lauch your brass in to orbit.:)

I have 2 rifles a short and a long.  For me being timed with 2 sundials they work fine.  The short barreled rifle holds a tighter grouping than the long one.  Neither one had the safety when manufacture, both imported by Navy Arms.  Both are in .44-40 and handle full cases of black Swiss or Goex and either 200gr or 240 gr .429" dia. bullets.  I like the short rifle or Lighting for main match though there is also a 73 in .44-40 or a Marlin in .45 Colt.  The long 92 was worked on at one time before me by  Nate the short was worked on from a CD by Nate.  The black powder 240 gr round makes short work of Indiana deer.

I had a 357/ 38 SP. Rossi when I first started CAS, took it apart smoothed it up and it was a pretty slick running rifle, very accurate and fun to shoot, wish now I would have kept it!  SCJ

I have two: One is the older Puma in .44-40 and the other a Model 65 in .44 Mangle-em.  Yes, they were stiff at first.  I disassembled them and cut 1-3/4 turns off the ejector springs and then compressed them heavily in a bench vise.  I also rounded the right side of the extractor cut in the back end of the barrels.  Not enough to interfere with the alignment of the extractor, but enough to stop the "pitcher-mouthing" on the ejected cases.  Depending on how much ammo I have loaded in which cartridge, I grab the proper cylinder for my convertible OM Vaqueros, and the matching cartridge rifle, and I'm good to go!  Of course I haven't been to a match in over a year-and-a-half but when things clear up, I'll be ready!

Stay well and safe, Pards!

There were two current production Rossis here a .357 and .45 Colt. I was talked out of the .357 but use the .45 Colt. Both good runners, the .357 was a bit picky on OAL but with proper length stuff was great. The safety is ignored, but if it starts causing a problem, will be removed. I am very happy with the Rossi stuff and would gladly grab another, especially in .44-40.

21 hours ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

The InterArms rossi's can be pretty rough depending on when they were made. 

For years dating back to about 1975 the made in Brazil Rossi 92 was imported by InterArms of Alexandria VA. Before InterArms. From about 1968-74 Garcia Corp. of Washington DC imported Rossi. Before that Firearms International of Washington DC imported Rossi in the mid 1960’s.

InterArms was the first to market the Rossi made 92 as their Puma model. By the late 80's the machines were wearing out so through the 90's Rossi 92’s were really rough. The parts were poorly fitted and then terribly over sprung. Rossi’s philosophy was to make the parts slightly too big then rather than hand fit them, just use excessively heavy springs. This saved many man-hours that keeps the prices low. When you picked up one of these guns even before you loaded it you could tell it was very stiff right out of the box. Because of this, these earlier guns Rossi got a bad rep. But, that is also what got me started re-working these guns in the early 90’s. The CAS game was growing big time but the availability of guns for the game was limited.
        About 1999 the owner of InterArms passed away. It is my understanding the heirs didn't care to continue with the operation of InterArms so the stock on hand was sold off at a reduced price. (I bought new Rossi 92's at that time for $190). 
       About this time, around 2000, Rossi completely re-tooled with all new CNC machines. This new machinery has allowed them to make parts better fitted. There are still some that are over sprung but overall the current guns are much nicer than the late pre-2000 92’s. About this same time Navy Arms had started importing the Rossi 92's. Then not long after, the ex-employees of InterArms started up Legacy Sports International (LSI) and began importing the Rossi 92 as their Puma. These were the first to have the ugly bolt top safety. LSI was even in the same building as the old InterArms company there in Alexandria Va. and were using the Puma name as the model name, too. Then and I don't remember exactly, LSI moved to Reno NV.
During this time frame EMF and Navy imported the Rossi's as well.

About 2009 Taurus acquired Rossi and the 92's and have taken over the distribution.

It's hard to date the InterArms Rossi's. There are some clues. They didn't have the ugly bolt top add-on safety. They all had these BB gun sights.

DSCN0006.thumb.JPG.18b54e0230da5a069fc809d7e0b51fd3.JPG

DSCN0004.thumb.JPG.c1518309190567576676dd1ae405c785.JPG

For CAS I figured out a way to get a more useful set.

DSCN0296.thumb.JPG.01a9770ba8a2da460447d7215e9a0920.JPG

I started working the Rosasi 92's back in the early 90's because of the 44-40 guns. Those guns were so stiff over sprun they would crush the case mouths. But, if you refit the various parts so they will run with lighter spring you will end up with a smooth running gun that won't lauch your brass in to orbit.:)

Nate...are you still tuning up/working on the '92's????

PLUS ONE or even TWO for Nate Kiowa Jones.  Guru do Rossi 92.  Buy the Rossi's.  Immediate send for Nates instructional video on making the 92 RUN.  I cleaned up 92 can be very fast indeed!! 

Archived