SASS Wire Forum

Question for Schofield shooters

DeaconKC

Okay, question for you other Schofield shooters. I have a 7" .45 I love and want to pick up a 5". Will it fit holsters made for a 5 1/2" OMV?

Unfortunately, no, it's a Texas Jockstrap style.

1 hour ago, Silver Rings SASS # 27466 said:

The Schofield is shaped very different than a OMV or any other SAA style gun and will not fit the same holsters. 

Yup, I am aware of that, that it will not work in all. Some do fit.

Ditto what Abelene said.  My Schofields don't fit in a 51 Navy holster, but the Army might be just enough larger that it might work (but I wouldn't bet on it).  If you're going to shoot the 7" and the 5" together, be aware that the extra weight on the barrel of the 7" can change the position of your grip just enough to put enough finger pressure on the trigger so that, this being a Schofield, you can't cock the hammer.  This leads to much cussing until you figure out what you're doing.  Voice of experience speaking.

My 71/2” 44WCF fits well in a 71/2” open toe double loop cheapie Oklahoma leather holster, The only hold up is the front of the frame ahead of the trigger, it’s what keeps it from droppin in but the barrel stops where it’s supposed to 

image.jpg

image.jpg

The U.S. Army M1881 holster would fit both the Colt's SAA and the Schofield revolver.  Of course, the originals (and my replicas) are butt-forward on the right side, but it wouldn't be a big problem to reverse the pattern and make it a civilian style.

Stay well and safe, Pards!

Archived