SASS Wire Forum

Auto Racing is Back!!

52 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Yep, looking forward to it.

Same here.

For multiple reasons, I really slowed down on watching NASCAR over the last 10 years.  But last year's love fest and butt kissing of Bubba Wallace sealed their fate with me.  I love auto racing, so I'm going back to watching IMSA / Indy / F1 again.  Pizzon NASCAR.

Gonna be tough watching it with a six hour time difference, but I'm gonna try.  I don't have a way to DVR it to watch it at a decent hour.

Green flag drops at 2130 local.

1 hour ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Same here.

For multiple reasons, I really slowed down on watching NASCAR over the last 10 years.  But last year's love fest and butt kissing of Bubba Wallace sealed their fate with me.  I love auto racing, so I'm going back to watching IMSA / Indy / F1 again.  Pizzon NASCAR.

After last year when they let a mediocre, at best, driver dictate policy based upon the driver's color. Nascar can kma. I'll watch a little of Daytona probably but the rest of the season will be a non event at my house. For some reason, Daytona has been in my blood for as long as I can remember. You know....back when stock cars were real cars and  men settled differences at the track not in the courts or boardroom.

IMSA is some of the best racing around.  Road courses and mixed classes all on track at the same time!

I’ll watch NASCAR when I am home with nothing to do.  I figure I can laugh at Bubba Wallace and the idiots that back him as he runs laps down to the real talent.

By the way, IMSA is owned by NASCAR!

My big hope is that there’s a full field in NHRA this year!! 

29 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

IMSA is some of the best racing around.  Road courses and mixed classes all on track at the same time!

I’ll watch NASCAR when I am home with nothing to do.  I figure I can laugh at Bubba Wallace and the idiots that back him as he runs laps down to the real talent.

May # 23 be plagued with mechanical difficulties all season.  :ph34r:  I'll watch the road course races, they are my favorites and there's more this year. And, the wife likes #9.  :)

9 minutes ago, Joe Cross, SASS #13848 L said:

May # 23 be plagued with mechanical difficulties all season.  :ph34r:  I'll watch the road course races, they are my favorites and there's more this year. And, the wife likes #9.  :)

The Elliot kid can drive a road course, can’t he??  I’m a fan of those who can turn both ways! I’m hoping that William Byron does well and I’m tickled that Hendrick picked up the Larson kid!!

10 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I agree with you on IMSA and NHRA.

NASCAR - ranks right up there with football and basketball.  I don't even want to see the results.

I prefer rodeo and PBR to anything, to be honest.

I have been a NASCAR fan since I went to my first race at Riverside, Ca min 1960. I also raced in NHRA. Today I think most of the NASCAR drivers and overpaid spoiled jerks. There are a few I do like , Kevin Harvick for one. I do like most types of racing.....cars , boats or 2 wheelers., just can't stand F1.

Four years ago, I attended the 24 hour race, from start to finish!!

The weather overnight was lousy and they ran portions of the race under caution for rain.

The Cadillac with the Taylor boys and Jeff Gordon won overall by five seconds with two other Daytona Prototypes on the lead lap.

The GTLM cars finished in a bunch with four manufacturers represented, all within ONE SECOND!!  You could have thrown a blanket over all four cars as they finished, literally nose to tail, after 24 hours!!

I will watch from the comfort of my LazyBoy this year!

I just checked my local NBC listings and no racing at any time!

NASCAR is for man boys.  Last year the championship goes to a semi good driver. But the guy who won 7 or 8 races wasn't in contention because of one bad finish.

NHRA is dying  a slow death in the pro categories. Too much money and its the same thing over and over. TF and FC you're lucky to see both cars actual race side by side. Pro-stock really is Chevrolet pro-stock. No Fords or Mopar. The shortened tracks are a bore also. No such thing as 1/4 mile racing anymore.

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I  No such thing as 1/4 mile racing anymore.

They go too damn fast and lots of tracks don't have enough shut down room for them to stop safely

With just over four hours left to race, a few things surprise me:

- The intensity/aggression of the racing within classes

- The almost complete lack of attrition due to mechanical failures

- How nice the weather has been/is

On 1/30/2021 at 11:27 AM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

NASCAR is for man boys.  Last year the championship goes to a semi good driver. But the guy who won 7 or 8 races wasn't in contention because of one bad finish.

NHRA is dying  a slow death in the pro categories. Too much money and its the same thing over and over. TF and FC you're lucky to see both cars actual race side by side. Pro-stock really is Chevrolet pro-stock. No Fords or Mopar. The shortened tracks are a bore also. No such thing as 1/4 mile racing anymore.

The NASCAR Champion is far better than “semi good” as he won five races himself.  As is usually the case, just winning races isn’t all that there is to it! He also proved his talent by winning, both on oval track and road course! “Semi good“??

As far as NHRA goes, the ONLY cars not running the whole quarter mile are TF and FC!!  As someone else said, most tracks don’t have the shutdown area to accommodate 300+ mph cars!!  

Yeah, the Pro Stock division is all Chevrolet powered. The other “marques” chose not to develop engines and fuel systems to compete.  No one’s fault but their own!

And as to slowly dying?  NHRA has the highest participation of ANY sanctioned auto racing endeavor!!  Some tracks run programs two and three nights a week during their regular season!! One of our local strips regularly hosts a hundred or more competitors weekly.

36 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Then how come they're having a hard time fielding 16 cars in TF/FC/PS

Until John Force temporarily shut down his operations in the face of the virus last spring, the ranks of the two top classes were full for every race!  Even after that, there were cars and teams turned away, having failed to qualify at several big events!!

NHRA is far broader based than you might imagine.  There are sanctioned tracks all over the country, running programs, often year round and supporting the next level in tiers all the way to national events. 

There are over seventy separate classes that participate in local events and Divisional points meets in order to qualify for spots in the National Events that you see on TV. What you see on television is the result of racing across the country.  The “pro” categories are a very small tip of the “iceberg” that is sanctioned drag racing!

I can take an inexpensive home built car or truck or motorcycle that’s properly modified with the appropriate safety equipment and compete at national events all over the country, so long as I meet the rules for the class I choose to compete in and collect enough points to get an invitation.

I know NHRA is a national deal. And there are local tracks all over. Theres a big movement for nostalgia gassers in the south. Pro-mod and no prep are big. NHRA is just barely getting on board with pro-mod. 2020 was impacted by the disease but they have had instances in 2019 where Pro-stock and TF were not filling the field.

Back in the day 60 and 70's there'd be 32 car TF races.

NHRA told the mustang guys they could run pro-stock with Chevy motors. That went over real big.

NASCAR is loosing attendance, before 2020. Look at the stands. The big draws like Daytona, Talladega etc had empty seats in 2019. The Bubba deal, the Confederate battle flag, ticket prices, and the race within a race within a race most don't like.

One of my hot spots is rain.  Races all over the world race in the rain. NASCAR finally had a race in the rain this year at the roval. No one died!

NHRA has recognized Pro Mod for at least a decade!!  A couple of good friends ran one at Indy years ago!!  

There were SEVERAL Mustangs campaigned last year in Pro Stock!! There was also at least one MOPAR bodied entry.

The Pro guys themselves lobbied for the 16 car fields!  There aren’t thirty-two competitive TF or FC cars out there!! ALSO!! Turning a fuel dragster around in 90 minutes, four times in a day is tough! That’s six hours work without even counting making a pass and the startup and retrieval!  Takes five minutes to start, do a burnout, back up and set everything, and stage the car, so first round takes a minimum of forty minutes!

The thirty-two car field was so rare, and almost NEVER filled, that NOBODY wanted to try to run such a production!!

NHRA has also added COPO/Factory Stock and “Nitro Harley” , (basically TF motorcycle) in the past couple of years and regularly have eight or sixteen entries.

I don’t know what you have been watching, but there’s a lot you’re missing!!

Archived