SASS Wire Forum

El CupAJoe

@Creeker, SASS #43022 and @OK Dirty Dan had some great ideas about Putting CAS on TV and lowering the bar to entry,  Pro SASS might work to draw attention, lowering the barriers creates the bait, Getting to know this fine community and get away from daily life is the Hook.  Here's an idea of how to implement the lowered barrier part of the bait.

The Story

In the late 1890's, people started streaming to the Yukon because there was gold in them hills!  Much of the west was already won at this point, but for men and boys looking to stake their claim in the world, this was truly the opening of the last frontier.  The locals started referring to these newcomers as Cheechackos (the etymology I learned for this term is that this is what it sounded like when the local Indian's pronounced the word "Chicago" where many of these newcomers were from),  they were generally ill equipped mentally and physically for the rigors of the northern life.  Some stayed and became sourdoughs, and some left to go back south.  Those who stayed learned the ways, picked up the equipment needed to survive and found the treasures of the North by learning and living alongside those who were already there.

Here in SASS I think there is room for a new category, one that tries to get back to the ways of old, but welcomes outsiders.  Some will stay, some will go, but hopefully many will see the opportunity to strike it rich(I'm not talking about prizes)!  So what's the Gold of SASS?  Fellowship with people who (hopefully) are willing to dress up don't take themselves too seriously?  A chance to make a tangible connection to a place and time many have only experience in games and movies?  A chance to win fame and glory for shooting prowess?  A chance to get out of the norms of life and experience a whole new world?  (it's probably all of these, but I think the last one is primary, entertainment and distraction)  Whatever the reason, there's gold here in SASS, but as many have said, there are barriers to entry.  I think I read yesterday that SASS was started when a shooting contest broke out at a costume competition, or something like that.  SASS used to only require 3 guns, stages used to be built to offer more variety in the game.  

My first shoot, I brought two broken cap and ball revolvers (I shot my first stage with them because I wanted to say that I had), a 22 revolver and a double barrel shotgun.  I also brought my brother in law with his double barrel shotgun and .22 revolver and a friend with his double barrel shotgun.  Our hosts were very generous with offers to use rifles and ammo, but with several other new shooters that day, there just weren't enough guns or ammo to go around and allow the hosts to shoot all the stages.  I borrowed a couple different '73's from some people and shot the last two stages with the .22 revolvers we brought with us.  My brother in law and friend mostly took part in posse tasks, visited with the cowboys and made jokes about how much slower I was than the others.  After the 3rd stage one of our hosts took us back to the first stage and all three of us ran through it a couple times with just the guns we brought with us.  All of us had a great time and would like to come back someday.  

So here's my proposal and I feel like it would work best for my intended goals if it was a SASS sanctioned Category and if the SASS website encouraged new shooters to start here. 

Cheechako Category, this is the category where every gun is welcome and the points don't matter.

General Rules,

Not eligible for rankings or shooting prizes, excepting clean shoot, age based and sub-categories also not recognized. 

Eligible for costume/best dressed prizes if awarded.

Permissible to award prizes for no Procedurals in Cheechacko

Stages to be shot on the normal course of fire, interspersed with the normal posse same as you would include frontiersman category shooters. 

Stage Design

3 strings of fire, strings can consist of any combination or multiples of the following, 5 rifle targets, 5 pistol targets, 4 shotgun targets.

Unless the Stage writer determines which targets are not engaged for shooters in this category then the default is as follows: 

Use guns in order specified for the stage, omitting guns not currently equipped.

Engage the targets specific to the gun you brought, rifles on rifle targets, pistols on pistol targets, shotguns on shotgun targets.

If only shooting one string in rifle or pistol, engage the 1st 5 targets called out for that firearm. (4 for shotgun)

If shooting all three strings with the same type of firearm, engage targets in order per stage instructions, then reengage 1st string targets for 3rd string. 

In case of knockdowns, shoot where the target is supposed to be.

if shooting 2 or more pistol strings with 1 pistol, reload and shoot the pistol when the stage calls for the second pistol.  

in case of needing more shotgun targets then present, reengage in order until string requirements are met, 

with permission of the RO and SO, the posse is permitted to make 1 suggestion or challenges to make the stage more interesting for cheechackos example "staged ammo for reloads must be obtained from such and such legal location" or, after shooting each string, guns must be tabled and you have to go ring that bell and come back for the next string"

Equipment

The minimum equipment requirement is 1 gun with approved ammo.

All guns must be main match, side match, buckaroo or wild bunch approved guns (exceptions listed below).

All ammunition must be main match, side match, wild bunch, or buckaroo legal, no rifle calibers, no exceeding the main match velocity requirements or deviation from permitted bullet construction.

All rifles and pistols must be, limited to 5 rounds loaded. 

Tube mag shotguns allowed to load 4 in tube. (not permitted to move from one shotgun position to another with live ammunition in the shotgun.

1911 magazines limited to 5 shots per magazine.

Mare's Leg rifles, revolving rifles and pistol grip 1887/1897 shotguns permitted (no twirling/breaking the 170* rule :D). I'm disinclined to allow pistol grip only or short barreled sawn off doubles due to safety concerns involved with manipulation.

the generic costume rules apply, but should be reiterated to avoid confusion.

Speed loaders permitted for Scofield.

normal rules for sights stocks and modifications not enforced, but no optics are permitted.  IE a Henry Big Boy X (edgeglow sight, composite stock) could compete. but an RMR mounted on a 1911 is not permitted.

No limit on number of guns brought to the line as long as they meet the above requirements, if you want to run a 15 shot stage using 8 bond arms derringers and can safely stage them, go for it.

Here is what I think this category accomplishes

1, lets people shoot what they brought, and have options to tryout a variety of options without overburdening the hosts to provide ammo and guns.  

2, shoot less ammo, and you can be selective about the type of ammo you shoot, if a newbie walks into cabellas or walmart right now, they are unlikely to find good cowboy loads and most people don't stock cowboy ammunition even if they have one or more cowboy guns.  what they will probably find are shotgun shells, well, it looks like that's what we're shooting today!  at $25 for 100 target loads of 12 gauge, I can shoot 5 or 6, 16 round shotgun stages if that's all I have.  And if I did, I just got 4-5 matches worth of shotgun manipulation training. Also, most people do have some stockpile of .22LR that would get them through a couple matches of Cheechacko category.  

3, It spreads out the cost of jumping in.  Let's say I have a starting budget of $800, I could shop around and try to find the dirt cheapest deals and maybe cobble together some guns that I'm not going to be thrilled with in the long run, or I could go out and buy a nice Vaquero and maybe some leather and start shooting now and get to know this gun really well while I'm saving up for my next game gun.  The Vaquero will hold it's value better if I want to trade it later, and if I end up going all the way to the big leagues, I can do it with a gun I started with.  

4, it mitigates the risk and ammo consumption of loaning guns.  Let's say 1 Vaquero Toting El CupAJoe shows up at your match and wants to shoot with you.  You sign him up under Cheechako, make sure he has 10 rounds of reloads staged and instructions on what to shoot.  He yells "I have 1 gun, that's not enough for each of you" and he shoots, reloads, shoots, reloads, shoots, time and misses are called.  Next stage, someone loans him a '97 for one stage,  3rd and 4th stage someone gives him a 1860 henry and 10 rounds covers him for 2 stages.  5th stage he runs with his Vaquero and someone's Ruger Old Army, a lot of experiences, minimal hosting risk and cost, and El CupAJoe can focus on one new thing at a time.

5, It allows more guns.  Some that younger, or older folks may have picked up due to exposure in video games or shows like the terminator, namely pistol grip shotguns and mare's leg rifles, and 1911's.  with the 5 round requirement in rifles, these are viable for playing around with.  because there are no points awarded for shooting, prohibitions on using small caliber firearms that are more popular in the non-CAS are also not an issue.  It can also give you incentive to try out your side match or guns in a main match if you're club is too small or isn't holding side matches today.  More guns means more people can shoot with what they have now and don't have to wait to afford something else.

6, Get people involved sooner after they make a decision to try out SASS.  Let's say I watch the "Uberti Cowboy Cup" on ESPN 62, and I'm like, that looks cool, I want to go try that out.  I pull up the SASS website and there's a section that says New to Sass?  Start here,  I read through the requirements and am like hey, I picked up a Remington new model army and a conversion cylinder during the pandemic because that's what the preppers said to do... "Honey, I'm going shooting this weekend"!  

7, this isn't a side match, people can shoot what they brought and 100% take part in the posse, duties, fellowship, heckling etc.  they are on the line with the people who will soon become their shooting friends and mentors.  With fewer guns to load, and operate they can spend more time focusing on safety, trying out new things to see what they like and picking up Posse Duties.

8, people who want to dive right in and start competing and have the money to do so can with the standard SASS matches.  People who want to just dip their toes in the water can do so and make a decision on whether or not it's for them right away without having to invest almost anything.  

9, Accessible, maybe for whatever reason a person has a handicap or disability that prevents manipulations or comfortable use of certain types of firearms, well, now you can choose to just shoot what works for you.  bad thumbs?  leave the pistols home and just shoot the long guns.  that frontier doctor remove a limb when the badger bite turned gangrenous, well, stop getting yer arms bit by badgers, and shoot em with yer 3 peacemakers!

10, It'll be fun!  More people with less logistics to get them in the game means more shooters, and when they see how easy it is to get started, they'll bring more shooters.  Also offers variety in guns and scenarios for old timers who want to do something different without the pressure to bring their fastest gun to place where they want on the charts.

21 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Interesting idea.   It has a lot merit.   But I will add one thing.

Make the Mare's Let Main Match Legal!

as a main match pistol or rifle??? :D

You seem to have a lot of interest in SASS and bring up some great talking points but aren’t a SASS member. Is there a reason you won’t join?

17 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

You seem to have a lot of interest in SASS and bring up some great talking points but aren’t a SASS member. Is there a reason you won’t join?

Plan to join before my second match, my wife and i are working to get out from under my school debt, we keep a tight budget so we'll get out sooner and have more fun later.  I get $30/month discretionary funds for all my hobbies, and have only been to one match so far.  

18 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

Plan to join before my second match, my wife and i are working to get out from under my school debt, we keep a tight budget so we'll get out sooner and have more fun later.  I get $30/month discretionary funds for all my hobbies, and have only been to one match so far.  

Check your PM’s.

17 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

The only thing I will say is find a simpler name for the proposed category.

Just give them a bonus if they can pronounce and correctly spell it from memory. :P

8 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

They are pistols, so, as pistols.

I mean, come on, I REALLY wanna shoot a match with these where I don't need special permission to do so...

RidiculousB.thumb.JPG.67ec37e3ba7746e3f8daab29ae591d84.JPG

That looks like about 8 handfuls of fun!

Well, my idea is run what you brung. Whether it's using a handful of irons, one wood and a putter for a round of golf; dads old bait caster a few hooks & worms for a day fishing; or Saturday night at the local race track with an old junker. If you really enjoy yourself then you can invest in better equipment and practice to get better. The games aren't changed, your level of commitment changes. 

Hasta Luego, Keystone

PS It took me several months to get equipped. I participated with match setup, attended matches to shag brass, spot and put away targets/props prior to shooting my first match. I was raised, neither a borrower or lender be and couldn't bring myself to use someone's equipment. If I couldn't replace it, I wouldn't borrow it. 

18 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

That looks like about 8 handfuls of fun!

Oh they are.   I have used the Lighting Bolt and the 87 together with my Lightning rifle and Big Iron revolver to shoot a clean match, but I have only test fired the Mare's Leg and I have not used these four together yet.

I don't ask questions, I just have fun.  --  Bugs Bunny.

Thanks for the effort but I have a couple of comments. Call me a snob or not but I don't mind new shooters showing up for one or two matches not meeting the minimal dress standards, but some shooter showing up every match through the season just diminishes the match for the rest of us. SASS has dictated standards for ammo for a reason, eg; my club just spent approx $10,000 in new steel in the last 2 years, using SASS standards we should be able to eliminate ricochets and have the steel serviceable for 15-20 years. With multiple types of firearms you cannot guarantee that ammunition meets the required specifications. You are going to require all these shooters to be on a separate posse, otherwise you are going to radically screw with the flow of the stage timings. Unless you have ever been a match director you don't have any idea the problems that can be caused.

I could carry on with other points, but I will leave that for others. Hobbies are not cheap, ours is no exception. There are many shooters ready to help you. Many of us when we were younger struggled to compete in our hobby of choice, your generation is no different.

Thank you all for the responses so far and I appreciate your input!  I forgot to add revolving carbines to the list!  since they can only load 5 they could be used in this category for the rifle!  Also added some clarifying items.  

I've taped up the headlights and taillights on my Silverado and safety wired the drain plugs. So I'm ready to race stock car now!

Sorry for the sarcasm, and I appreciate your enthusiasm, but SASS it what it is. If it will help you out I will offer you a 25% discount on any of my leather gear. And I have a big old Herter's #3 press you can have for shipping to get you started reloading.  If you decide on 38 special I can send some brass and soft cast bullets with that press also.

Save your enthusiasm and writing skills to maybe write some stages, I know I am sick of 10-10-4 myself. One of the reasons I joined WASA years ago, for some variation and fun.

2 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I've taped up the headlights and taillights on my Silverado and safety wired the drain plugs. So I'm ready to race stock car now!

Sorry for the sarcasm, and I appreciate your enthusiasm, but SASS it what it is. If it will help you out I will offer you a 25% discount on any of my leather gear. And I have a big old Herter's #3 press you can have for shipping to get you started reloading.  If you decide on 38 special I can send some brass and soft cast bullets with that press also.

Save your enthusiasm and writing skills to maybe write some stages, I know I am sick of 10-10-4 myself. One of the reasons I joined WASA years ago, for some variation and fun.

I appreciate the offer and maybe I'll take you up on some of that, I just know that at the match I showed up to, there were many who were willing to share, but we had more new people there than guns/ammo available and many new people, myself included, are disinclined to use other people's guns for more than one or two stages.  I'm willing to try out someone's gear to see if I like it, I don't care to go to multiple matches where I will have to rely entirely on another person's generosity to play along.  Incidentally, I'm hopefully going to be doing some gun trading this weekend to pick up a Rossi92 then I will technically have the requisite number of firearms, the fact that the C&B's aren't up and running yet are just details...  Even though I'm looking at having all four guns come this weekend, I could see myself getting out and shooting with people more if I could not have to worry about cleaning and loading for all 4 of them.  caps and 209's are easier to come by then SPP's so it would make sense to limit my rifle usage to one or two stages a match if I was so inclined.  I'm not coming to compete yet, I'm wanting to be able to learn my guns and practice safely manipulating them in a match environment, meet and become part of the posse and hopefully building the skills I need to get to the place where I can start to compete.  

2 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

................ safety wired the drain plugs...................

Hmmmmmmmmm      Not a lot of folks use that term. Wondering what you did in a previous life. :lol:

Shooting Bull, MSgt, USAF (Ret.) ;)

11 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Hmmmmmmmmm      Not a lot of folks use that term. Wondering what you did in a previous life. :lol:

Shooting Bull, MSgt, USAF (Ret.) ;)

I missed that in his post, in my former life I took some A&P classes my freshman year of college, figured out I preferred Calculus to dealing with the FAA and switched majors.

SB: Nothing so serious as the USAF, just a motorcycle mechanic and wannabe racer. Still have my safety wire pliers and some wire after 40 years.

When I started my service schooling after bootcamp. The first class was aviation fundamentals. In addition to the basics of flight and the major parts of an aircraft, there were classes on proper use of hand tools.

One class involved proper safety wiring of fasteners. The instructor was a little surprised at how well I could hand twist wire and wanted to know where I learned that skill as the rest of the class pretty well sucked at it. Told him that I had build miles and miles of hog wire and barb wire fence with T posts and that you fastened the wire to the post with short section of wire twisted the same way as the Navy wanted the safety wire twisted. (This was before those fancy wire clips were common.) It was practically muscle memory for me.

First time I a pair of Safety wire pliers them I fell in love with them and wondered why we never had a pair on the farm.

SD

AT1 AW

USN Ret

On 1/29/2021 at 9:22 AM, El CupAJoe said:

@Creeker, SASS #43022 and @OK Dirty Dan had some great ideas about Putting CAS on TV and lowering the bar to entry,  Pro SASS might work to draw attention, lowering the barriers creates the bait, Getting to know this fine community and get away from daily life is the Hook.  Here's an idea of how to implement the lowered barrier part of the bait.

The Story

In the late 1890's, people started streaming to the Yukon because there was gold in them hills!  Much of the west was already won at this point, but for men and boys looking to stake their claim in the world, this was truly the opening of the last frontier.  The locals started referring to these newcomers as Cheechackos (the etymology I learned for this term is that this is what it sounded like when the local Indian's pronounced the word "Chicago" where many of these newcomers were from),  they were generally ill equipped mentally and physically for the rigors of the northern life.  Some stayed and became sourdoughs, and some left to go back south.  Those who stayed learned the ways, picked up the equipment needed to survive and found the treasures of the North by learning and living alongside those who were already there.

Here in SASS I think there is room for a new category, one that tries to get back to the ways of old, but welcomes outsiders.  Some will stay, some will go, but hopefully many will see the opportunity to strike it rich(I'm not talking about prizes)!  So what's the Gold of SASS?  Fellowship with people who (hopefully) are willing to dress up don't take themselves too seriously?  A chance to make a tangible connection to a place and time many have only experience in games and movies?  A chance to win fame and glory for shooting prowess?  A chance to get out of the norms of life and experience a whole new world?  (it's probably all of these, but I think the last one is primary, entertainment and distraction)  Whatever the reason, there's gold here in SASS, but as many have said, there are barriers to entry.  I think I read yesterday that SASS was started when a shooting contest broke out at a costume competition, or something like that.  SASS used to only require 3 guns, stages used to be built to offer more variety in the game.  

My first shoot, I brought two broken cap and ball revolvers (I shot my first stage with them because I wanted to say that I had), a 22 revolver and a double barrel shotgun.  I also brought my brother in law with his double barrel shotgun and .22 revolver and a friend with his double barrel shotgun.  Our hosts were very generous with offers to use rifles and ammo, but with several other new shooters that day, there just weren't enough guns or ammo to go around and allow the hosts to shoot all the stages.  I borrowed a couple different '73's from some people and shot the last two stages with the .22 revolvers we brought with us.  My brother in law and friend mostly took part in posse tasks, visited with the cowboys and made jokes about how much slower I was than the others.  After the 3rd stage one of our hosts took us back to the first stage and all three of us ran through it a couple times with just the guns we brought with us.  All of us had a great time and would like to come back someday.  

So here's my proposal and I feel like it would work best for my intended goals if it was a SASS sanctioned Category and if the SASS website encouraged new shooters to start here. 

Cheechako Category, this is the category where every gun is welcome and the points don't matter.

General Rules,

Not eligible for rankings or shooting prizes, excepting clean shoot, age based and sub-categories also not recognized. 

Eligible for costume/best dressed prizes if awarded.

Permissible to award prizes for no Procedurals in Cheechacko

Stages to be shot on the normal course of fire, interspersed with the normal posse same as you would include frontiersman category shooters. 

Stage Design

3 strings of fire, strings can consist of any combination or multiples of the following, 5 rifle targets, 5 pistol targets, 4 shotgun targets.

Unless the Stage writer determines which targets are not engaged for shooters in this category then the default is as follows: 

Use guns in order specified for the stage, omitting guns not currently equipped.

Engage the targets specific to the gun you brought, rifles on rifle targets, pistols on pistol targets, shotguns on shotgun targets.

If only shooting one string in rifle or pistol, engage the 1st 5 targets called out for that firearm. (4 for shotgun)

If shooting all three strings with the same type of firearm, engage targets in order per stage instructions, then reengage 1st string targets for 3rd string. 

In case of knockdowns, shoot where the target is supposed to be.

if shooting 2 or more pistol strings with 1 pistol, reload and shoot the pistol when the stage calls for the second pistol.  

in case of needing more shotgun targets then present, reengage in order until string requirements are met, 

with permission of the RO and SO, the posse is permitted to make 1 suggestion or challenges to make the stage more interesting for cheechackos example "staged ammo for reloads must be obtained from such and such legal location" or, after shooting each string, guns must be tabled and you have to go ring that bell and come back for the next string"

Equipment

The minimum equipment requirement is 1 gun with approved ammo.

All guns must be main match, side match, buckaroo or wild bunch approved guns (exceptions listed below).

All ammunition must be main match, side match, wild bunch, or buckaroo legal, no rifle calibers, no exceeding the main match velocity requirements or deviation from permitted bullet construction.

All rifles and pistols must be, limited to 5 rounds loaded. 

Tube mag shotguns allowed to load 4 in tube. (not permitted to move from one shotgun position to another with live ammunition in the shotgun.

1911 magazines limited to 5 shots per magazine.

Mare's Leg rifles, revolving rifles and pistol grip 1887/1897 shotguns permitted (no twirling/breaking the 170* rule :D). I'm disinclined to allow pistol grip only or short barreled sawn off doubles due to safety concerns involved with manipulation.

the generic costume rules apply, but should be reiterated to avoid confusion.

Speed loaders permitted for Scofield.

normal rules for sights stocks and modifications not enforced, but no optics are permitted.  IE a Henry Big Boy X (edgeglow sight, composite stock) could compete. but an RMR mounted on a 1911 is not permitted.

No limit on number of guns brought to the line as long as they meet the above requirements, if you want to run a 15 shot stage using 8 bond arms derringers and can safely stage them, go for it.

Here is what I think this category accomplishes

1, lets people shoot what they brought, and have options to tryout a variety of options without overburdening the hosts to provide ammo and guns.  

2, shoot less ammo, and you can be selective about the type of ammo you shoot, if a newbie walks into cabellas or walmart right now, they are unlikely to find good cowboy loads and most people don't stock cowboy ammunition even if they have one or more cowboy guns.  what they will probably find are shotgun shells, well, it looks like that's what we're shooting today!  at $25 for 100 target loads of 12 gauge, I can shoot 5 or 6, 16 round shotgun stages if that's all I have.  And if I did, I just got 4-5 matches worth of shotgun manipulation training. Also, most people do have some stockpile of .22LR that would get them through a couple matches of Cheechacko category.  

3, It spreads out the cost of jumping in.  Let's say I have a starting budget of $800, I could shop around and try to find the dirt cheapest deals and maybe cobble together some guns that I'm not going to be thrilled with in the long run, or I could go out and buy a nice Vaquero and maybe some leather and start shooting now and get to know this gun really well while I'm saving up for my next game gun.  The Vaquero will hold it's value better if I want to trade it later, and if I end up going all the way to the big leagues, I can do it with a gun I started with.  

4, it mitigates the risk and ammo consumption of loaning guns.  Let's say 1 Vaquero Toting El CupAJoe shows up at your match and wants to shoot with you.  You sign him up under Cheechako, make sure he has 10 rounds of reloads staged and instructions on what to shoot.  He yells "I have 1 gun, that's not enough for each of you" and he shoots, reloads, shoots, reloads, shoots, time and misses are called.  Next stage, someone loans him a '97 for one stage,  3rd and 4th stage someone gives him a 1860 henry and 10 rounds covers him for 2 stages.  5th stage he runs with his Vaquero and someone's Ruger Old Army, a lot of experiences, minimal hosting risk and cost, and El CupAJoe can focus on one new thing at a time.

5, It allows more guns.  Some that younger, or older folks may have picked up due to exposure in video games or shows like the terminator, namely pistol grip shotguns and mare's leg rifles, and 1911's.  with the 5 round requirement in rifles, these are viable for playing around with.  because there are no points awarded for shooting, prohibitions on using small caliber firearms that are more popular in the non-CAS are also not an issue.  It can also give you incentive to try out your side match or guns in a main match if you're club is too small or isn't holding side matches today.  More guns means more people can shoot with what they have now and don't have to wait to afford something else.

6, Get people involved sooner after they make a decision to try out SASS.  Let's say I watch the "Uberti Cowboy Cup" on ESPN 62, and I'm like, that looks cool, I want to go try that out.  I pull up the SASS website and there's a section that says New to Sass?  Start here,  I read through the requirements and am like hey, I picked up a Remington new model army and a conversion cylinder during the pandemic because that's what the preppers said to do... "Honey, I'm going shooting this weekend"!  

7, this isn't a side match, people can shoot what they brought and 100% take part in the posse, duties, fellowship, heckling etc.  they are on the line with the people who will soon become their shooting friends and mentors.  With fewer guns to load, and operate they can spend more time focusing on safety, trying out new things to see what they like and picking up Posse Duties.

8, people who want to dive right in and start competing and have the money to do so can with the standard SASS matches.  People who want to just dip their toes in the water can do so and make a decision on whether or not it's for them right away without having to invest almost anything.  

9, Accessible, maybe for whatever reason a person has a handicap or disability that prevents manipulations or comfortable use of certain types of firearms, well, now you can choose to just shoot what works for you.  bad thumbs?  leave the pistols home and just shoot the long guns.  that frontier doctor remove a limb when the badger bite turned gangrenous, well, stop getting yer arms bit by badgers, and shoot em with yer 3 peacemakers!

10, It'll be fun!  More people with less logistics to get them in the game means more shooters, and when they see how easy it is to get started, they'll bring more shooters.  Also offers variety in guns and scenarios for old timers who want to do something different without the pressure to bring their fastest gun to place where they want on the charts.

I like it.  Only 2 comments.  #1 I don't think it's a good idea to allow the newcomers to stoke the shotguns.  Don't get me wrong, I wish we could stoke our SGs on the clock, but it's not exactly preparing them for the game to allow it at the beginning.  #2 the meat of your suggestions can already be done.  You can show up to a match undergunned, shoot the same stage everyone else does, and just take misses for the guns you don't have.  Granted, you wouldn't be eligible for clean match prizes and I think that's a good add.  I like the idea of adding things like ringing a bell between guns, but I'd like to see that for everyone, and that has gotten a lot of pushback from shooters in the past. 

As described, I'd be likely to sign up for cheechako and still use all my guns just so I could stoke my SG and ring bells between targets.  Just make sure any shooting style is legal so I can shoot gunfighter. 

13 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I like it.  Only 2 comments.  #1 I don't think it's a good idea to allow the newcomers to stoke the shotguns.  Don't get me wrong, I wish we could stoke our SGs on the clock, but it's not exactly preparing them for the game to allow it at the beginning.  #2 the meat of your suggestions can already be done.  You can show up to a match undergunned, shoot the same stage everyone else does, and just take misses for the guns you don't have.  Granted, you wouldn't be eligible for clean match prizes and I think that's a good add.  I like the idea of adding things like ringing a bell between guns, but I'd like to see that for everyone, and that has gotten a lot of pushback from shooters in the past. 

As described, I'd be likely to sign up for cheechako and still use all my guns just so I could stoke my SG and ring bells between targets.  Just make sure any shooting style is legal so I can shoot gunfighter. 

I'm glad you'd be interested in shooting this category, I was hoping this category would have a little something for everyone. I also acknowledge that much of this can be accomplished without a change to the rules, but a new person might not know that unless we write it down somewhere. As far as stoking the shotgun tube, I think this is an artificial handicap to keep various types of shotguns competitive with each other.  Since this category isn't about competition, a person may choose to load the tube or not depending on what they want to get out of their gun.  If training for sass, leave the tube alone.  If wanting to shoot in the way JMB intended while dressed to kill, go for it. 

Although I didn't mention it about,  I do feel like times and misses should be recorded so a new person can track their personal progress with certain scenarios, even if they aren't eligible for competitive standing against normal categories. 

Archived