SASS Wire Forum

Family "Groups of Guns"

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

This is an idea that's been kicking around in my head for a while, and I've mentioned it before in other contexts but after doing some research, I thought I'd bring it up as its own concept and see if anyone knows of anything else that can be added, should be deleted, or a modification to the list that should be made.   Or for that matter, if the "Families" are even properly classed as such.

So here we go...

Group 1:

Winchester 73 or Uberti 66 in .22 RF

1860 Henry/Winchester 66/Winchester 73
Winchester 76

Group 2:

Winchester 9422

Winchester 92

Winchester 86

(Note:   Although the 9422 does not have the same action as the 92 and 86, the outline of the gun is very similar, so I included it)

Group 3:

Small Frame Colt Lightning

Medium Frame Colt Lighting

Large Frame Colt Lightning

Group 4:

Henry Golden Boy
Henry Big Boy
Henry Brass Lever Action

(Note:  I am not an expert on the Henrys.   There are other guns listed on their website that could be swapped out for one or more of these, but I chose these specifically because they are the most similar to each other.)

Group 5:

Marlin 39

Marlin Marlin 94

Marling 95 or 336.
(Note:  The 95 and 336 visually different from the 39 and the 94, but they are still Marlins)

So, what I am going for here is a battery of rifles that are essentially the same, or very close to it, in .22, pistol and rifle caliber cartridges.   I know that Groups 2, 3, 4 could also include a Mare's Leg type pistol, and maybe even group 1 if you consider the Volcanic, but since those are more of a novelty and somewhat rare, I did not list them in the groups.

Do you think these groupings are legitimate?   Is the 9422 to different from the 92/86 to be considered a family member?   Are the 95/336 to different from the 39 and 94 to be considered a family?   Can the Henry really be classed with the 66 and 73?   Is there some other combination of guns made by someone else I can't think of that could be considered this way?   What about a bolt action, or even a semi-auto family?  Or some other pump action group?

Heck, an AR type gun in .22 Rimfire, 9mm and .308 could qualify.

This is a dangerous inquiry.   As I think about it, I find myself wondering if it's another way to look at "collection enhancement."   :)  

What I think ain't important... my idea of a grouping is a bit different.

Group A:  Winchester 94 from every decade they were made... (no need to include any 94AE, ugliest rifle after the Henry tomato stake model): 

Group B:  A Winchester 94 in every configuration made:  Rifle, Short Rifle, Carbine, Trapper, round bbl, full octagon, ½ rnd/½ octagon, pistol grip, curved buttstock, shotgun butt, full length mag, ¾ mag, ½ mag, button mag... 

Co-mingling groups A & B as a cost saving measure... 

23 minutes ago, Griff said:

Group A:  Winchester 94 from every decade they were made... (no need to include any 94AE, ugliest rifle after the Henry tomato stake model): 

Gee, Griff, I still have a Win '94 carbine AE.  My first CAS rifle even though I had to load some on the clock.  Not a good rifle for CAS, but it never failed.

ok, I want to play this game.

How about:  A Ruger 10-22 with the M1 carbine stock, one of those M1 carbines that shoots 9mm out of beretta mags, and a honest to goodness M1 carbine made by the inland lamp division.

Or, down a different path how about looking at the genealogy of a gun.  For example:  you could start with a M1 Garand, which kinda gave birth to the M14 (M1A) which kinda gave birth to the Mini-14.   Or in our cowboy world, the Henry led to the 1866 which led to the '73... etc.

GEEEZ thanks  Griff!  To think when the lady told me I reminded her of her Henry rifle at the last match it never dawned on me that she was saying that I was ugly as a tomato stake!!!!   I had hoped she was referencing me to an old reliable or sum other such BUT now???:wacko: 

22 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

GEEEZ thanks  Griff!  To think when the lady told me I reminded her of her Henry rifle at the last match it never dawned on me that she was saying that I was ugly as a tomato stake!!!!   I had hoped she was referencing me to an old reliable or sum other such BUT now???:wacko: 

Surely she meant that in regards to all the positive attributes of a tomato stake!  :ph34r:

I’ve never thought of my guns as a “group” or “collection” either.  Mine are more an “accumulation”.

Archived