SASS Wire Forum

What is the most "Colt Like" of the non Colt revolvers in our game?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I have an interesting question.  In the opinion of those who actually have them, and after comparing them, what would you say is the most "Colt like" revolver that is usable in our game.

Let me define some terms.

I am NOT referring to various SAA Clones made by other manufactures.

I am not referring to guns like a Smith and Wesson top break or a Nagant revolver that are very different guns from the Colt.

I am referring to other revolvers that are very similar to the Colt SAA, originals or replicas thereof, not made by Colt, but are similar in operation and maybe even similar enough in appearance that a novice might actually think it was a Colt from a distance.

In other words, things like...

Ruger Vaquero

Remington 1858 (Factory Conversion)

Remington 1875

Remington 1890

Other pistols that may be similar that I am not aware of off the top of my head.

I don't own a Ruger, but I have handled and fired them, and they seem very different to me somehow.   While visually similar, the Remington 75 also has a very different feel.   I also have Factory Conversion 58, the ones from late in production that left the Remington plant as cartridge guns, and while more visually distinct, to me it has the most Colt like feel of all the candidates.   Have never handled a Remington 90, so I can't comment.   Hard to quantify, I know, but that's just my opinion.

Any other opinions on the topic?

To me the difference between a Vaquero and a Colt SAA is very significant, frame and grip size, trigger size, shape and position, all different. 

OTH, a Ruger Single Six in .32 H&R feels more like a Colt SAA to me, other than trigger size, shape and position, which are similar to a Vaquero.

I don't currently have an Uberti, but I have owned them, and to me they are much closer to a Colt in all respects than Vaqueros are, but then they're clones. 

I am far from an expert, but in my opinion (and it is worth what you paid for it), is that the Ubertis have a similar feel and are the closest to the Colt feel of the ones I have held

The Pietta GW II is the most "Colt-like," but then you didn't want to hear about clones. None of your list are close to the Colt, although non-gun folks wouldn't figure it out even up close. The frame of the Remingtons are quite different from a Colt. The grip and frame are one in the Remington models, while the Colt has a separate grip and frame. Only the new Ruger is approximately similar in size to a Colt, but the feel is still different. A '58 even with a conversion is very different. YMMV

Just as a point of departure,  I understand that when Colts re-introduced  the 1873 they used Uberti small parts to build them.

The Uberti's I have worked on over the years resemble the early Colts very closely.  That said the, Quality of the units lately swings a different direction.

Ol' #4

1 minute ago, Ol Number4 said:

Just as a point of departure,  I understand that when Colts re-introduced  the 1873 they used Uberti small parts to build them.

The Uberti's I have worked on over the years resemble the early Colts very closely.  That said the, Quality of the units lately swings a different direction.

Ol' #4

This oft repeated myth is just that, a myth.

Well H. K., your Original Post eliminated ALL of the Replicas.  In point of terminology, there are NO Colt "Clones."  Were there "Clones" they would be identical.  No Cigar.

The only reference you cite "things like" that qualifies is the Ruger.  There were some close replicas being made in Germany but they are also "Replicas."

Your question of itself, makes no sense at all.

It certainly ISN'T the Ruger Vaquero or New Vaquero or even a NM Blackhawk.  It IS however, the OM Blackhawk and original Single-Six.   Then there are the Virginian "Dragoon" and JP Sauer & Sohn "Hawes" revolvers.   They had the Colt type lock work but could handle much stouter loads.  ie, 44Mag.

I've read your question over several times and not sure I understand what you are asking. The best clone was/is the USFA. Most of the Italian copies were very close to the early Colts in design. None of them were of the same quality unless you compared them with the Colt Cowboy which was a POS IMO. 

Snakebite

USFA was the best look-a-like and fell butter no longer made and cost as much as a new COLT or more.  Blindfolded you can't tell the two apart.  At one point QC on the USFA was better than a COLT.  I have both an would take the USFA's over the 3rd gen COLT's ant day of the week.  By the way they all are in .44-40 black powder frames.

Third MAJOR point from the OP ELIMINATED consideration of various SAA made by other manufacturers.  Ergo, consideration of USFA, Hawes, etc. are out of the running.  The conditions of the OP actually eliminate EVERYTHING even close.

OK Grizzly, You're wrong.  The suit by Colt as over the horse Logo/Medallion on the Grip Panels.  Colt won.  The penalties and "cease and desist" were more expensive than the original AWA could afford.  AWA went bust.

Unless you're talking about the "Second" AWA.  "AWA USA."  Different story.  Different Circumstances.  Same result.

By the bye, The guns sold by the "first" AWA were manufactured by Armi San Marco.  Richard never told me who made the major parts for the "second" AWA USA.  

Archived