SASS Wire Forum

Ides of March - S.A.S.S. 2021 Florida State Championship 3-18-21 - 3-21-21

The Outlaw Travis James

IDES OF MARCH 2021 SASS Florida State Championship March 18-21, 2021

The Lake County Pistoleros and the Eustis Gun Club are pleased to announce that The Ides of March 2021, will be the SASS Florida State Cowboy Action Shooting Championship.

Anyone on the range with you will need to complete a waiver (even if they are not shooting). Updated information can be found at http://actionshootingnetwork.com/lcp/

Posse Requests - If you wish to posse with someone in particular, please indicate the person’s ALIAS on the “Posse Me With” line on the registration form. Do NOT put down a club name or location (ex. “Other folks from PA” or “Roughshod Raiders”). Trust me, we are not aware of who is a member of every club in the US; therefore, you may not end up with the folks you want to be with if you go that route! This is a request only and we will do our best, but it’s not guaranteed.

SASS Scholarship Fundraiser

We will be offering a few options to raise funds:

• A bucket will be kept at registration – please consider donating a few dollars when you register.
  • We will be having a Man-vs-Man challenge stage, Thursday during side matches. The cost to compete is $5.00 per run or $10.00 as many runs as you want. You may prepay for this with your application or you may pay when you register onsite.

Side Matches

Thursday, March 18th – 10:00 am - 3:30 pm - Free (with the exception of the Man-vs-Man)

Shoot all day – best time wins – Awards will be given for

• Speed Rifle
  • Speed Shotgun
  • Speed Pistol
  • Pocket Pistol
  • Derringer
  • Long Range
  • 100 and 200 yards
  • Warm up stage (no scores, practice only)
  • Man vs Man (bragging rights only)
  • Wild Bunch - 4 stage mini-match – Thursday, March 18th – 9:00 am – No charge – you must pre-register

**If you’re available to help RO a side match on Thursday, please notate it on your application.

Registration

Thursday, March 18th – 9:30 am – 4:00 pm

Friday, March 19th – 7:30 am – 8:30 am and 10:30 am – 11:30 am - Main Clubhouse at the Range

Camping

There is a limited number of DRY spaces available at the range. No water or electric. You must pre-register and pay. We also need you to provide size of trailer/camper/etc. You may arrive Tuesday, March 16th and must depart by Monday, March 22nd. Please abide by this as I’d hate to ask anyone to leave. Before paying, please verify with Greta (greta.brucester@gmail.com) that there is still space available.

RANGE RULE – NO ALCOHOL ON RANGE AT ANY TIME.

Match Info

Scoring will be based on total time.

5 stages Friday and Saturday, March 19th – 20th

Top Gun shoot-off Sunday, March 21st.

The dinner is included in your match fee. There are a limited number of extra tickets available, please order/pay in advance.

Awards will be given out Saturday during the dinner. We will award a maximum of 5 deep per category. 6+ shooters, we will award up to 5th place; 5 shooters, up to 4th place; 4 shooters, up to 3rd place; 3 shooters, up to 2nd place; 2 shooters, 1st place only will be awarded.

Schedule

TUESDAY, MARCH 16

8:00 am – Range Setup starts – help is welcome

8:30 am – 4:00 pm – Vendors may arrive and setup (provided proper paperwork submitted)

8:30 am - 4:00 pm – Campers may arrive and setup (provided proper fees/paperwork has been submitted)

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 17

8:00 am – Range Setup starts – help is welcome

8:30 am – 4:00 pm – Vendors may arrive and setup (provided proper paperwork submitted)

830am-4pm – Campers may arrive and setup (provided proper fees/paperwork has been submitted)

THURSDAY, MARCH 18

8:00 am – Range opens

9:00 am – 4:00 pm - Registration – held in main pavilion

9:00 am – 4:00 pm – Vendors open

9:30am – Wild Bunch Side Match (must pre-register)

10:00 am – 3:30 pm - Side Matches

12:30pm – RO 1 Class (must pre-register)

12:30 pm – Wild Bunch RO Class (must pre-register)

Time TBD - Posse Marshall Walk Thru with Match Director and Range Master

FRIDAY, MARCH 19

7:00 am – Range opens

7:30 am – 8:30 am – Registration – held in main pavilion

8:00 am – 4:00 pm – Vendors open

9:00 am – AM Flight - MANDATORY shooters meeting – held outside Main Pavilion

9:30 am – 12:30 pm – 5 stages – AM Flight (times are approximated)

12:00 pm – PM Flight – MANDATORY shooters meeting – held outside Main Pavilion

12:30 pm – 3:30 pm – 5 stages – PM Flight (times are approximated)

SATURDAY MARCH 20

7:00 am – Range opens

8:00 am – 4:00 pm – Vendors Open

8:30 am – AM Flight – 5 stages

12:00 pm – PM Flight – 5 stages

5:00 pm – Elks Lodge opens for drinks

5:00 pm – Costume Contest Judging

• Town Lady
  • Town Gent
  • Cowboy (Classic)
  • Cowgirl (Classic)
  • B Western Cowboy
  • B Western Cowgirl
  • Young Man
  • Young Lady

5:30 pm – Elks Lodge dinner starts and will run until 7pm

7:00 pm – Side match awards, Announcements, Main Match Awards, Door prize/raffles (must be present to win)

**Elks Lodge - 2540 Dora Ave - Tavares, FL 32778-4976 (click for directions)**

SUNDAY, MARCH 21

7:30 am – Range opens

8:00 am – Cowboy Church - held in main clubhouse

8:00 am – 12:00 pm -Vendors open

Time TBD (Approx. 10am) Top Gun Shoot-Off

• Juniors
  • Ladies
  • Top 32

Hotel info

Hampton Inn

Address: 9630 US 441, Leesburg FL 34788

Phone: (352) 315-1053

Group is Lake County Pistoleros

Microtel Inn & Suite Leesburg

Address: 9700 US-441, Leesburg, FL 34788

Phone: (352) 315-1234

Group is Lake County Pistoleros. Rate is $79.00

Comfort Inn & Suites

Address: 1380 E Burleigh Blvd, Tavares, FL 32778

Phone: (352) 253-2378

Group is Lake County Pistoleros.

Applications

Shooters Application: https://actionshootingnetwork.com/attachment/download/?url=2020/12/ec05b67e65c54d5ef0786366bc5497eb.pdf

Vendors Application: https://actionshootingnetwork.com/attachment/download/?url=2020/12/2c4f94e7b09a561d50da30eb834f8614.pdf

Sponsors Application: https://actionshootingnetwork.com/attachment/download/?url=2020/12/455bac4698a9538ce271ca1f7cb95c8b.pdf

More Information: https://actionshootingnetwork.com/event/174/ides-of-march-2021-outlaws-and-lawmen

IOM 2021 Application - Fillable Ver 1.1 (2).pdf 2021 Vendor PDF.pdf 2021 Sponsor PDF (1).pdf

IOM 2021 Application - Fillable Ver 1.1 (2).pdf 2021 Vendor PDF.pdf 2021 Sponsor PDF (1).pdf

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, with the EOT frenzy fading into the background, it's time to start thinking about the Ides Of March!  With just a little bit of luck, I will be in Sunny Florida 30 days from now re-acclimating to the warm weather.  Of course, for those of you who have followed long on my journeys in the past, they never go as planned, but as long as I get there, it's all that really matters in the end.

Haven't had any major snowfalls yet, just what seems to be a steady stream of weekly 3-5" drops that have kept me busy shoveling, but still a lot better than some of you pards that got hit with the recent major ice-storm.  After just dodging a big ice event this past weekend (we ended up with maybe 0.10" of ice that melted off rapidly on Sunday) we are yet again sitting on the ever shifting borderline of another Rain/Ice event this evening and another 3-5" of snow on Thursday.  Hopefully, it will again be rain for us, but as usual, we won't know until we know.

Looking forward to another great match at the Ides and chance to see everyone again! 

6 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Anybody know if they have a Who's Coming List posted anywhere?

I've always heard that there is not a Who's attending list for the Ides. In 20 years, I've never seen one. Not a bad thing though.

4 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've always heard that there is not a Who's attending list for the Ides. In 20 years, I've never seen one. Not a bad thing though.

They can be a real P.I.T.A at times, and lead to other issues as well.

I guess we could start a Who Doesn't Want To Shoot With Dogmeat list.   That will probably cover just about everybody.  :lol:

31 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

They can be a real P.I.T.A at times, and lead to other issues as well.

I guess we could start a Who Doesn't Want To Shoot With Dogmeat list.   That will probably cover just about everybody.  :lol:

You sell yourself short my friend.  People like me with (low) class would be honored to shoot you...I mean with you, yea with you. :D

1 hour ago, Tequila Shooter said:

You sell yourself short my friend.  People like me with (low) class would be honored to shoot you...I mean with you, yea with you. :D

You will have to get in line behind Lil, she gets first shot by rights of marriage.  :P 

1 hour ago, Tequila Shooter said:

He used to be known as Dogbone Dad....had to tie a bone around his neck to get the dog to play with him.:o:lol:

15 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

He used to be known as Dogbone Dad....had to tie a bone around his neck to get the dog to play with him.:o:lol:

@Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L  

CS - I know with a name like Dogmeat I’d be worrying about the steaks he’s servin ;) :ph34r: 

3 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

I guess we could start a Who Doesn't Want To Shoot With Dogmeat list. 

Ain't nuff paper around for that one.:P:D:P

35 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L  

CS - I know with a name like Dogmeat I’d be worrying about the steaks he’s servin ;) :ph34r: 

Ya know, I seem to remember him saying "When in Korea......" Or it was something like that.:o Or maybe not.

1 minute ago, Cypress Sun said:

Ya know, I seem to remember him saying "When in Korea......" Or it was something like that.:o Or maybe not.

Never been to Korea, and you can't prove it.  B)

Taiwan, Brazil, Puerto Rico, a few "scenic" spots along the Med, but never Korea.  To be honest, I tried to never ask what it was I was served but I will tell you this...NEVER, EVER, EVER, EAT SEA CUCUMBER, EVER!  IT AIN'T A PLANT!  It's like chewing boiled, rancid, gristle.  Took all the will power I had to make myself swallow it so as to not insult my host. Nasty, Nasty, Nasty...

58rtgm6y-1394012442.jpg

On 2/16/2021 at 8:45 AM, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Anybody know if they have a Who's Coming List posted anywhere?

Greta does not release a who's coming to avoid headaches with the Category Wafflers who want to keep changing as "faster" shooters sign up in their categories.  

17 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Never been to Korea, and you can't prove it.  B)

Taiwan, Brazil, Puerto Rico, a few "scenic" spots along the Med, but never Korea.  To be honest, I tried to never ask what it was I was served but I will tell you this...NEVER, EVER, EVER, EAT SEA CUCUMBER, EVER!  IT AIN'T A PLANT!  It's like chewing boiled, rancid, gristle.  Took all the will power I had to make myself swallow it so as to not insult my host. Nasty, Nasty, Nasty...

58rtgm6y-1394012442.jpg

I was stationed in Korea and they eat kimchi. dog meat, cat meat, horse meat, you name it.  If it is meat they will eat it.  I stuck to cheeseburgers and pizza while I was there.  

17 minutes ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

I was stationed in Korea and they eat kimchi. dog meat, cat meat, horse meat, you name it.  If it is meat they will eat it.  I stuck to cheeseburgers and pizza while I was there.  

Worked with quite I few guys from there over the years.  To say their cuisine was interesting, would be an understatement!  :rolleyes:

Used to have an old "Chinese" restaurant near my offices that had a really good buffet lunch on Fridays, and we would go there once or twice a month.  we used to call it the Flaming Cat (or Cat Flambeau when we were feeling fancy) and would often joke that there were never any stray cats in the area.  I was young, it was cheap, and I lived through it.  :P

Boy did this conversation go sideways.  Started out as advertisement for the Ides of March and ended up with Dogmeat eating sea veggies.  All I know is we are a month away from the Florida State Championships (Ides of March) in Taveras Florida.  Just booked my Hotel room.  Gonna be a great shoot for sure.  I Know one thing, I ain't eating any cucumbers in my salad at the banquet.  No telling if Dogmeat Dad was in the kitchen.

45 minutes ago, Realtree said:

Boy did this conversation go sideways.  Started out as advertisement for the Ides of March and ended up with Dogmeat eating sea veggies.  All I know is we are a month away from the Florida State Championships (Ides of March) in Taveras Florida.  Just booked my Hotel room.  Gonna be a great shoot for sure.  I Know one thing, I ain't eating any cucumbers in my salad at the banquet.  No telling if Dogmeat Dad was in the kitchen.

Chicken of the sea, pard, chicken of the sea!  :rolleyes:

I cannot wait to get the heck south of this weather.  Got 7 hours into shoveling ice off my mother's driveway and had to sit before my back quit on me.  Just in time to have my culinary skills questioned. :P

Another hour and I will be done and heading home for some dinner (purely land based I assure you!) and some medicinal fluids. ;)

Match can't get here soon enough!

Sitting here sipping my morning coffee, looking out the window in my office, watching it snow, again!  Shouldn't be too bad, just a couple of inches and then turn to rain, but I certainly have Florida on my mind.  Sunshine, warm weather, No Snow, and away from the craziness of Washington, DC.  This place really wears on you!

Did an ammo check this weekend and we are good on Lil's 32's, and she has been churning out shotgun while I was shoveling, so all we need to catch-up on is some 38's.  One evening this week and we will be good to go, hopefully for the next few months.

All this talk of food had me wondering if the restaurants were open for indoor dining down there?  A few years ago, Wiamea got me hooked on the Lake Harris Hideaway as a dinner spot and I was wondering if Florida had opened up for indoor dining yet.  We just did takeout or ate at the range for Ides of November and The Darkness Twins.  They just restarted indoor dining up here, with limited seating, so I was wondering about Florida.  Restaurants everywhere have been really hurting and a lot of them in our area have outright closed for good.

Some are even getting desperate!

KoreanDiner.jpg.5aa2ad42e36573f7c00ac51b5846c5a0.jpg

Florida is open for business, come on down!  Maybe someone local to the match can chime in but where I live near Destin we are pretty much back to business as usual.  Some places still require a mask be worn when not at your table but even those are dwindling. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Spade said:

Florida is open for business, come on down!  Maybe someone local to the match can chime in but where I live near Destin we are pretty much back to business as usual.  Some places still require a mask be worn when not at your table but even those are dwindling. 

Sounds Great!  Tired of dealing with the insanity of the "Mask Police" we have up here.  I constantly see people wearing a mask, a face shield, and latex gloves, while driving in their car, ALONE! 

b1b9d74933dd372811949b70c67c2011.jpg

35 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Sounds Great!  Tired of dealing with the insanity of the "Mask Police" we have up here.  I constantly see people wearing a mask, a face shield, and latex gloves, while driving in their car, ALONE! 

b1b9d74933dd372811949b70c67c2011.jpg

They're not wearing all of that stuff because of the virus. They're wearing it because they don't want to be seen driving Chevys.

Oh, most of the eateries are open with some requirements as JS mentioned. Quite a few smaller establishments have gone under. They couldn't withstand the lack of cash flow from the shutdown(s). The same ones that were open in November should probably still be open.

10 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Read a bumper sticker the other day that said “wearing a mask alone in a car is like wearing a condom alone in bed”

And I have a strong suspicion that they do both....:P 

At least now I have new stories for my grandkids! :lol:

toilet-paper-meme.jpg

The Lake County Pistoleros are still accepting applications for the Ides of March - The 2021 Florida State Championship. The applications are attached above.  Print it, fill it out, and mail it in to Greta Dee.  This is her last year running the Ides so let's send her off in style.  If you have any questions shoot her an email.  

I hope to see y'all in Eustis in less than a month. 

The OTJ

2 hours ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

The Lake County Pistoleros are still accepting applications for the Ides of March - The 2021 Florida State Championship. The applications are attached above.  Print it, fill it out, and mail it in to Greta Dee.  This is her last year running the Ides so let's send her off in style.  If you have any questions shoot her an email.  

I hope to see y'all in Eustis in less than a month. 

The OTJ

For anyone who has not filled out their application yet, the applications in the opening post are fillable.  Open it with Adobe Reader, and you should see all of the data entry fields highlighted in blue.  Click on the fields, type in your info, print, and mail it in.   It will even do the math for you! B)

Category selection boxes work like radio buttons, click one and it clears any other selection.

See you at the match!

9 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

This is going to be fun I don’t care who you are.

You got that right!!!  

Weather is finally breaking here, and the snow is rapidly melting.  Hit 60 Degrees, which is a heat wave for us this time of year.  Looks like we may be in for a couple of weeks of decent weather so maybe, just maybe, my trip south for the Ides won't be another episode of the Ice Capades!  :P

I was just thinking as I was heading home that exactly 21 days from right now, the Range will be set, our cart will be built and nestled into it's not too secret hiding place, I will be checked into the hotel, the truck unloaded, and I will be sitting at Orlando International Airport waiting for the arrival of Lil's plane.  Short drive back to the Hotel and early to bed 'cause I am going to need a good night sleep before Sidematch Day!  Actually planning on shooting a few things this year.  Derringer for sure, just got them back from Bond after some work, and I even challenged Lil to a Head to Head challenge match.  Figure it's safer to have her shoot Against me than AT me!  :lol:

Clock Is Ticking, and I cannot wait!

91GnCu5lCgL._SL1500_.jpg

Well, after almost 2 decades of playing Cowboy, I have finally decided to get serious.  Ok, well maybe not SERIOUS serious, but you know, maybe subject myself to that thing some folks call "Practice", heaven forbid.  :o  I've heard about it, but never really tried it before, but I understand it can help reduce a persons stage times. :P

Figure I will start off with a remotely possible, but maybe obtainable goal.  At the Ides of March my goal is to be half as fast (or is that twice as slow :blink:) as Santa Fe River Stan.  I think half-fast is better 'cause there ain't much slow in Stan!  ;)

Either way, I've got a lot of work to do to get there and me and my Shotgun need to have a serious discussion about getting the shells into the chambers instead of around the chambers and on the ground! :P

So that's my personal challenge, other than making sure I have a lot of fun at the match.  What's Yours?

(Figure I will just go ahead and post this now and get it over with! :lol:)

568229839_atleastyoutried.jpg.cf8b08783a53c5f0aa39a4f3279db8a0.jpg

7 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

A clean match. (Even if it takes all day :D)

I did that for a long time.  Actually got to the point where I was shooting about half my matches clean, but you could time me with a Sundial.  Cut my internal clock speed to about half of what it was when I was "trying" to shoot fast, granted Fast for me is a relative term.  Now, as long as I can keep my stupid left eye closed when shooting my pistols so I can keep it from trying to tell my left hand gun to trust it, my accuracy is fine.  Speed however has suffered, and even when everything goes right, it can still go wrong, case in point "Squibby" from the Ides of November.

Shooting with Preacherman and Mudslide Mike at Dark Day and Darkness Falls inspired me to up my speed game a bit.  Rifle and pistols times were respectable, not Santa Fe River Stan, Bucky Buckskin, or Delta Glenn, respectable, but decent.  Then, of course, there is my nemesis, my shotgun.  I think that devil spawn of a firearm doubled my times on a couple of stages.  :angry:  Has me contemplating pulling my '87 out of mothballs again. :o

At the end of the day, regardless of my times, I will no doubt have had a good time, with good people, in warmer weather, its Gonna Be Great!

And best yet, the only snow I expect to shovel in Florida is...

snow-cones.thumb.jpeg.388a84da165e6f86be8ee040ddadbbe7.jpeg

23 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Either way, I've got a lot of work to do to get there and me and my Shotgun need to have a serious discussion about getting the shells into the chambers instead of around the chambers and on the ground

Is your shotgun a Stoeger?

On 2/27/2021 at 11:40 AM, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Well, after almost 2 decades of playing Cowboy, I have finally decided to get serious.  Ok, well maybe not SERIOUS serious, but you know, maybe subject myself to that thing some folks call "Practice", heaven forbid.  :o  I've heard about it, but never really tried it before, but I understand it can help reduce a persons stage times. :P

Figure I will start off with a remotely possible, but maybe obtainable goal.  At the Ides of March my goal is to be half as fast (or is that twice as slow :blink:) as Santa Fe River Stan.  I think half-fast is better 'cause there ain't much slow in Stan!  ;)

Either way, I've got a lot of work to do to get there and me and my Shotgun need to have a serious discussion about getting the shells into the chambers instead of around the chambers and on the ground! :P

So that's my personal challenge, other than making sure I have a lot of fun at the match.  What's Yours?

(Figure I will just go ahead and post this now and get it over with! :lol:)

568229839_atleastyoutried.jpg.cf8b08783a53c5f0aa39a4f3279db8a0.jpg

Make the Top 10 and win my category.  

Archived