SASS Wire Forum

Entering the DARK AGES.

Warden Callaway

There looks to be an increased interest in shooting black powder.  Everything we come to expect when shooting smokeless,  be it guns, ammo, brass, bullets,  powder and primers are somewhere between short to non-existent supply.  Also bullet casting and reloading equipment. MidwayUSA and Grafs is completely out of all smokeless powder.

Now there looks to be a run on cap gun, black powder,  subs, caps, and balls.  MidwayUSA is of black powder and subs. Grafs is out of ffg and fffg in most popular brands.  

Are there more people switching to the DARK SIDE?  Or trying to hoard up in some contingency plan? 

7 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

There looks to be an increased interest in shooting black powder.  Everything we come to expect when shooting smokeless,  be it guns, ammo, brass, bullets,  powder and primers are somewhere between short to non-existent supply.  Also bullet casting and reloading equipment. MidwayUSA and Grafs is completely out of all smokeless powder.

Now there looks to be a run on cap gun, black powder,  subs, caps, and balls.  MidwayUSA is of black powder and subs. Grafs is out of ffg and fffg in most popular brands.  

Are there more people switching to the DARK SIDE?  Or trying to hoard up in some contingency plan? 

Partly due to Covid impacting production & raw material suppliers, partly due to the companies allocating production resources to loaded smokeless ammunition,  partly because it is the beginning of the year with shooters ordering their annual supply and partly people hoarding due to concerns related to politics.

15 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I was gifted a 1860 and a 1858 both last year, I really enjoy shooting them and I don't want to burn up my meager stockpile of smokeless supplies on hobby shooting, so I'll be shooting a lot of BP recreationally for the foreseeable future.  due to the reduced consumption/time spent at the range, I get a lot more enjoyment/$ shooting PB anyway.

Been shooting the Black since the early '60's. There was a lot of interest in black-powder shooting in the '60's, and 70's, and seemed to taper off in the 80's. There was once a lot of interest in the rendezvous, and re-enacting, costumes, and period-clothing, and the like...and many events were held all over the country. Many still are, they just don't get "top billing" anymore. The movies: "Jeremiah Johnson", and "The Mountain Men", helped the sport along a lot. The N.M.L.R.A.'s membership increased, then, over time, started to decline. Of course black-power firearms, and the culture did not pass away, but it did take a hit. However, today, we have more of a variety of black powder firearms available, than in the heyday of the popularity. If you look at an early Dixie catalog, they had a few styles for sale, such as the 1851 Navy, the 1860 Army, the New Model Remington (erroneously called the "model 1858"), and a few single shot pistols. The 1866 lever action was only available in .38 special, back then. So...I take it as a good thing that the folks are turning to shooting black powder again. it is fun, but of course you have to not mind cleaning your firearm, after you are done. It can be a lot more "labor intensive" than smokeless. 

Welcome back. Perhaps even more things will be produced (including percussion caps, and powder, and various 18th and 19th century clones), if the demand goes up. Whatever else it does, shooting the black gives one a very real sense, and connection, to what our fore bearers experienced, as they hunted, and as they protected the Studebaker Conestoga, and the homestead, against hostiles of various backgrounds. When the ranch lady was fending off the hostiles, and defending the corral, and bunk-house, while her husband was away (maybe quaffin' what passed for whiskey, at the nearest watering hole), we can better appreciate her plight, if we shoot what she was shooting. Man!!!...those were Women!!!! (to quote Louis L'Amour). 

I doubt I would ever shoot C&B at a match, but I am considering trying it out simply because the 1860 Army is one of the most graceful guns ever made.

18 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

I doubt I would ever shoot C&B at a match, but I am considering trying it out simply because the 1860 Army is one of the most gradeful guns ever made.

Try the Plainsman side match. It is usually only three stages. Of course, you will need two C&Bs, a single shot rifle, and either an '87 or a double SG.

I have friend who has quite a bit of BP experience who encouraged me to try it. I knew it would allow me to practice without burning up my smokeless rounds and I had always wanted to try it.  Sold some excess semi auto ammo to fund the purchase of two pair of cap guns and everything I needed to shoot them. 1851 44's and 1858 44 Sheriff's. They both run great and I'm leaving the springs stock for now. I did learn not to leave a Ballistol soaked rag in my truck for a few days after shooting. Whoa nellie!!

17 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Try the Plainsman side match. It is usually only three stages. Of course, you will need two C&Bs, a single shot rifle, and either an '87 or a double SG.

STOP THAT! :D

1 hour ago, Mister Badly said:

I have friend who has quite a bit of BP experience who encouraged me to try it. I knew it would allow me to practice without burning up my smokeless rounds and I had always wanted to try it.  Sold some excess semi auto ammo to fund the purchase of two pair of cap guns and everything I needed to shoot them. 1851 44's and 1858 44 Sheriff's. They both run great and I'm leaving the springs stock for now. I did learn not to leave a Ballistol soaked rag in my truck for a few days after shooting. Whoa nellie!!

Ballistol does a great job, but truthfully, it does smell like the north end of a south-bound skunk. If your eyes are dry, that stuff will relieve your dry eyes.

6 hours ago, John Boy said:

The sweetest, easiest to handle and aim ... percussion on the market ...  https://www.budk.com/1851-Navy-US-Marshal-Black-Powder-Pistol-44-Calibe-47514

1 hour ago, Black RZR said:

Wow that is a beautiful gun! $400 and it's engraved!! Dang

Just wish it was stainless instead of in the white.

It has been my experience that the actual guns never look as deeply engraved as the add photos!  My pair looked a bit shallow when I received them but I went on and put some bucks into having them converted into cartridge anyhows!  For some reason they seem so tiny in the hand, it almost seems like they were made for .36s caliber or something....:wub:

Archived