SASS Wire Forum

Has anyone else ever...

...spent the night sleeping on the floor next to a sick dog?

Jack was attacked yesterday at the dog park and it took eight stitches to get him back together.  Needless to say, he was in some pain heading to bed so I just made a blanket pallet and joined him. 

Theres a Jeff Foxworthy joke in their somewhere, but I’ll most likely be next to him tonight too.  Tomorrow the stitches and drain tube get removed.

Yes. And happy to do so.

Quite a few times and sometimes on my bed.  One slept with my wife and me for two months while she was recovering from a stroke,  Vet said she should be put down because he didn't think she'd survive.  She lived over seven more years and died at sixteen and a half.

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

...spent the night sleeping on the floor next to a sick dog?

Absolutely. Dogs are family. Dogs do not understand  what is happening to them so some family human contact helps them, I am sure, to recover with less stress.

I have slept with my dogs, put them on our bed , sat with them. Whatever it takes.

Been there done that and will gladly do it again.

They also sleep in my bed but when too sick to get up and down I'll gladly make a pallet on the floor big enough for the three of us as my wife is going to be right there too.

Not when sick.  However, New Years Eves, 4th of Julys, and thunderstorms with the dog shivering all night in terror from fireworks or thunder.  Don't know if it helps the dog but, I feel better trying to help.

Years ago when I had horses I did the same. Well, sort of. I stayed up all night with horses. Didn't sleep in the stall with 'em though. ;)

One of our cats had been grazed by a car.  Really messed up his tail and he was seriously bruised.  We set up some pillows for him on the bed between our heads so we could check on him during the night.  Even his litter-mate would walk up and check on him.  He stayed there until he felt like he wanted to sleep elsewhere. 

Our pets are our family, no matter their species.

My dog first started sleeping next to my side of the bed when snow fell off the metal roof and scared him.  So, I got him a dog bed to put there. I had three for him. So, he could decide where to sleep. He never got on the furniture and was too heavy (85 pounds) to lift.

Obie slept on the bed and continued to do so all all of his adult life.  Ziggy sleeps there now and keeps all of the other cats away. Francie sneaks in occasionally. The little cats sleep on their towers or wherever they wish.

Chloe is usually snuggled up against my back in the morning as Sue has to sleep elsewhere due to her equipment. Sasha used  to, but her infirmities reduced her to the floor next to the  bed. Squeak stays with Sue now and complains mightily if disturbed to go out in the mornings before he's ready. We've had cats that slept above Sue's head at night as well:blush:

Would and have slept with ill pets. Will do again if needed. No doubt it helps them.

Just now, Eyesa Horg said:

Would and have slept with ill pets. Will do again if needed. No doubt it helps them.

Charlie---Hope Jack recovers soon, he appreciates your care for him. Never doubt it.

My Tippy, a thorough-bred Heinz 57 Variety, runt of the litter, small black terrier type dog, took distemper as a very young pup.

The vet suggested we put her down, but my Mother wanted to try to save her.

Vet gave her a shot and sent us on our way, thinking the dog wouldn't last more than a few hours.

That night, my Mother and Dad slept with her in their bed, fed her brandy and eggnog with an eye dropper and rubbed cold cream into her drying out and cracking nose and footpads.

She was a sick little girl in the morning, when the vet called to see if she had passed.

He was very surprised Tippy was still alive and instructed us to bring her in quickly for another shot.

Tippy survived another 18 years and helped with the selection of my wife of 53 years, but she never got over her addiction to a dab of cold cream on her nose going to bed at night.

Our pets become family. Ones we chose.

When I would come home from Chemo, I would crawl into bed and rest.  Kaelyn our dog would lie on the floor on my side of the bed waiting for any sign of movement out of me.  As soon as I began to stir, she would run to get Uno and have him come in to see me.  One time, he was busy and she barked at him until he came.  He got the message after that.  I think I will miss her the most when she crosses the rainbow bridge.

To many times to count.

On those that have gone over the last bridge at the vets office I have been there on the floor with them till the end.

Our vet always told us that to some people their pets are just a part of the day....:(

To your pet you are their whole world.

Will never forget that

Respectfully

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived