SASS Wire Forum

Professional Category

Creeker, SASS #43022

I like you ideas Creeker.  Now how do we make them a reality?  We need to find out if the members of the board are interested in brainstorming proposals.  If they are not interested in looking at these types of changes, then we need to here if they have other ideas we can assist them with.  What I like about your idea is that for most shooters SASS will be the same.  The same ideas that have brought shooters to SASS, shooting the old firearms, the dress, the friendly competition, the friendships and the many celebrations(there is a lot of categories which are ok if there bringing more individuals to SASS.  EOT main match could be the same.  The Top 16 is where the changes in  advertisement could be, just to test new waters.  Many shooters already have SASS related companies, and some have sponsors.  Allowing a pro or open category could promote more advertisement, get more sponsors for the main match, get more vendors and most of all increase exposure.  What I love about watching the Top 16 is the excitement of watching interactive targets go down at the speed they do, the head to head competition,  the excitement of the crowd, and I do not believe sponsored shirts and prizes will take away from the main match.    This may lead to more exposure.  It does not have to be complicated or take away from all the reasons others compete in SASS.  To me it just takes it to a different level. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Now that is an acceptable and understandable point.

But someone has to be the bad guy and I'm okay with that.

I'm sorry, there's just no way you can be the bad guy.

Ya got the wrong hat. :ph34r:

On 2/18/2021 at 11:22 AM, Hendo said:

I'm sorry, there's just no way you can be the bad guy.

Ya got the wrong hat. :ph34r:

took the words right out of my mouth...

Last Thursday NRA’s American Rifleman homepage reprinted their 2004 article on Cowboy Action Shooting and SASS.  I couple categories are outta date, but it’s nice to see they did the reprint. 
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2021/2/19/cowboy-action-shooting-something-for-everybody

56 minutes ago, Hendo said:

So @Creeker, SASS #43022, what are your musings to date?

Honestly?

I think that we have a combination of apathy, self centered behavior, concern, nostalgia and indecision. 

Apathy; a number of folks simply don't care if the game grows, replenishes itself or survives beyond them.  

Self centered; a number of folks only care how the game suits them - very little regard for the best interest of the game or organization - simply desiring that the game THEY want to play is left untouched even if it means inevitable decline.

Concern/ Indecision; a number of folks love this game and agree that change needs to happen but because of the possibilities of what the game could morph to - they choose to do nothing and embrace the status quo.

Nostalgia; a number of folks have their rose tinted glasses and remember a game that never existed - one that was the perfect combination of stage writing, target distances and widespread participation and "if we could only return to those days - everything would be wonderful again".  But the game was never perfect - it has evolved and grown and declined and will have to do so again - but for some, unless we are going backwards (to a point that never happened)- there is no reason to change.

Sadly most folks are rooted in comfort and abhor change.

They would rather die slowly than take a risk.  Better the devil they know than ever leave their safe zone.

The types of change (I think are) required will either have to happen with an independent CAS organization in parallel with SASS or will have to be embraced and forced upon the membership from the top down.  

We have tried grass roots for the last 30+ years and it has brought us to where we are today.  

Reward requires risk - risk entails the possibility of failure.

I am not saying my ideas are the only way; but unless significant change occurs - we are on a path that leads in only one direction.

23 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

The types of change (I think are) required will either have to happen with an independent CAS organization in parallel with SASS or will have to be embraced and forced upon the membership from the top down.  

We have tried grass roots for the last 30+ years and it has brought us to where we are today.  

Reward requires risk - risk entails the possibility of failure.

I've been thinking on this since ya posted it. I'd be interested to hear what the new board has to say about it.

Maybe we could get something of a hybrid with a broader appeal? 

Archived