Metal work

Subdeacon Joe

A lacey VW?

Herbie does not approve.

(My son and I own this one)

IMG_2385.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG

12 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

TOO COLD !!!! Don't keep da Snow out nor da Heat In !!!

Jabez Cowboy

They don't have heat!! That's why we all carried a Firestone scraper to keep the inside windshield frost free!! If you lived in New England, heat was a definite misnomer;)

22 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

TOO COLD !!!! Don't keep da Snow out nor da Heat In !!!

Jabez Cowboy

Herbie is sleeping right now, covered with a nice blankie, in a heated storage facility, while he dreams of spring, car shows s, rallies, and drives with his buddy Ian, AKA Big Red..

IANs Herbie 009 (8).JPG

I have had three of Germany's exports. I bought a 1949 from a fellow worker. One day I woke up to a snow storm with about two feet of snow. Got in crancked it up and when I tried to pull away from the curb, the snow piled up under the front wheels so I couls not steer. Took the bus that morning. Had a 1972 I bought used, near new. That thing would go anywhere. Sold it for a vw bus  to haul my daughters and their friends around. That thing would climb a tree if you asked nicely. Easiest driving car I have ever owned. BUT, there is always that ugly but, only thin sheet metal out in front so if you had a head on, big ouch. 

if i had found one of those gasoline heaters for my 77 kombi i would still have it , nut inside scraper and no heat did not work up here - but i loved that chartreuse camper .............

10 minutes ago, watab kid said:

if i had found one of those gasoline heaters for my 77 kombi i would still have it , nut inside scraper and no heat did not work up here - but i loved that chartreuse camper .............

Was that the one called the Wild Westerner or something like that? I had one in my in my bus. Girls loved it. It was blue, green, and a vile green or yellow. 

22 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

What year is it, Cold Lake? At one time I owned a new '70, and then later a used '71 Super Beetle. Wasn't a big fan of those early McPherson suspensions:blush:

It's a 1962. It was originally registered in Delaware, then moved to Montana, where, because of an oil leak, didn't get put back on the road and was used in fields, pushing cattle.

We imported it to Canada and steamed about 12 inches of oil soaked mud off the engine etc. (They didn't change the oil, just kept adding.)

We took the car apart, gutted it, cleaned and painted it, repairing any rust holes. It wasn't in too bad condition given it's age how it had been used.

20181005_123839.jpg

20181005_132524.jpg

Disassembled for priming and painting (2).jpg

The front ends on the original design beetles was almost bullet proof. Picked up a  book about them called "Small Wonder". It even  had some hints in it about how to get the heat distributed in that non-liquid cooled system. My '70 was a dark green color with black leatherette interior. The super was a light yellow with black leatherette. I later got a Rabbit that was very quick for it's size. However, it kept getting homesick for the dealer ship:rolleyes::angry::blush:

14 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Once upon a time I had a 411 fastback.  Heater burned gasoline from the same tank as the engine. Never was brave enough to see if it worked.

I had one in the '66 Beetle I had, when I got married. It worked great and could almost cook you out, (No thermostat, just ON/OFF) and that was in a cold Canadian winter including winter exercises at Garrison Petawawa.

Main trouble in cold weather was always the 6 volt battery always going flat in cold weather. I put carry a carry strap on it and used to bring it into the building in winter. 

Archived