SASS Wire Forum

WTB lead

Just now, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

Try your local tire shop for used wheel weights

Unfortunately most wheelweights are no being made with other alloys besides lead.......

17 minutes ago, smokedawg SASS#60968 said:

howdy,

I'm looking to get into casting some of my own bullets.  That takes lead....least ways that's what they tell me.:P  So I need some.  If you can help me out I would appreciate it.

Thansk!

Good to get into casting because the way things are going reloading components are gonna dry up even worse as Sleepy Joe's term progresses.......

2 hours ago, RIDGE WALKER said:

Good to get into casting because the way things are going reloading components are gonna dry up even worse as Sleepy Joe's term progresses.......

I'm looking forward to it....it's not like I don't have bullets  I probably have close to 10,000 but no .577, very few 405 grain .45, stuff like that.  I figure this is the push I need.

RMR Bullets 

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/rmr-in-house/casting-lead-from-rmr-jacketed-bullet-cores-approximately-12-brinnel-hardness/

These guys say they are behind in shipping. I ordered some lead about 2 weeks ago and most of it is here now. One box is at the post office. The mail lady asked me to get it.....

It comes about half and half of rifle bullet noodles and bullet cores. The lead is perfect for casting. No messing with ingots.

Delivered to your door for around $1.50 per pound.

When I was still casting, I was getting most of my lead from a local metals recycler (not a junk yard). 

Also...check local ranges...especially indoor ranges. They may let you have the lead for cleaning out the bullet traps for them...or sell it to you for the scrap price

1 hour ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Got to your club or any range and dig the hill you’ll have more lead than you can carry. 

If you can't find anything local and want to process some range scrap, PM me and we'll work out a deal.

If you're shooting black powder, you'll want to be a little pickier about where you get your Lead, Pure is what you're after.

Got to your club or any range and dig the hill you’ll have more lead than you can carry. 

Please...Please... Please ask before you start digging up berms and backstops at your local range! It might surprise those that haven’t been an official for a gun club or shooting range, but it costs money to maintain the berms at your range! We had this ongoing issue at the local shooting range until a range digger got photographed in the act and eventually was prosecuted for vandalizing the range. :mellow:

8 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

Please...Please... Please ask before you start digging up berms and backstops at your local range! It might surprise those that haven’t been an official for a gun club or shooting range, but it costs money to maintain the berms at your range! We had this ongoing issue at the local shooting range until a range digger got photographed in the act and eventually was prosecuted for vandalizing the range. :mellow:

I wasn’t talking about a mining expedition, just picking the nuggets 

Even thou wheel weights are made out of zinc now . Tire shops still have scrap weights. 

A lot of times they will give you a 5 gallon buckes full.

It is up to you to sort them out .

If you have a hard time telling lead from zinc you will know . When you put theem in your pot .

To deal with the clips on the weights. I use a small speaker magnet. Sometimes they have a hole in them .

If it doesn't , you can drill one. Get a 1/2 x 12 inch piece of steel. Wood will work too. Then you can use the magnet to get the clips out of the melted lead. 

54 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

LOL! Didn’t think so.  I do this at our cowboy range.  I don’t dig anywhere.  But we do have a lot of metal targets....  I just pick up the flattened bullets laying on the ground under the metal gongs.  

1 hour ago, Captain Clark said:

Same thing happened at the ABQ City Shooting Range.  So many people were digging up the back berms for lead that the range officials had to start patrolling unused berms to stop the practice.

I know you weren’t suggesting lead mining expeditions. I was cautioning those that might get a little crazy with the idea!:)

15 hours ago, RIDGE WALKER said:

Unfortunately most wheelweights are no being made with other alloys besides lead.......

I'm not having a problem getting lead wheel weights in Indiana. Lots of shops still use them.

4 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

If you're shooting black powder, you'll want to be a little pickier about where you get your Lead, Pure is what you're after.

Yup this will be bp.  .577 minie to start and then .454 round balls.  More after that.

16 hours ago, smokedawg SASS#60968 said:

I'm looking forward to it....it's not like I don't have bullets  I probably have close to 10,000 but no .577, very few 405 grain .45, stuff like that.  I figure this is the push I need.

If you are going to be casting .577 mini for B/P, you want pure, soft lead.  Hard alloys won't work for muzzleloader ammo.

Al

1 hour ago, AlOvera said:

If you are going to be casting .577 mini for B/P, you want pure, soft lead.  Hard alloys won't work for muzzleloader ammo.

Al

I use plumbing lead that I was given. 

19 hours ago, Cannon said:

RMR Bullets 

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/rmr-in-house/casting-lead-from-rmr-jacketed-bullet-cores-approximately-12-brinnel-hardness/

These guys say they are behind in shipping. I ordered some lead about 2 weeks ago and most of it is here now. One box is at the post office. The mail lady asked me to get it.....

It comes about half and half of rifle bullet noodles and bullet cores. The lead is perfect for casting. No messing with ingots.

Delivered to your door for around $1.50 per pound.

Been looking at this the past couple weeks, seems like a good way to get started learning reasonable cheap. 

Pure lead for BP can be had from a remodeled hospital or doctors office ex-ray shield. Has to be 99% pure lead And it is in sheets.

Archived