SASS Wire Forum

"Snubbies"

Three Foot Johnson

Alpo, that one on the bottom right. Is that the 317 you told me about on another forum. It looks like you have definitely gotten some use out of that one. :D

What model is the one on the top right? I like that finish. 

You mean this one?

New

1777758170_31722LRAirlite.jpg.92ba6bce9a9a39ee1b9d4787c5b42f89.jpg

After 14 years of almost daily carry in my right pants pocket.

1480804411_317AirLite22LRright.thumb.jpg.078ca815af9e571147a2422e8cd36ce5.jpg

That looks good, since it was the side against the outside of the pocket.

The inside side, pressed up against my sweaty thigh.

1178392736_317AirLite.thumb.jpg.683a5b395288eea2c636601a5d81e5ad.jpg

The other one you asked about is a two and a half inch Model 19. About the time I bought that 317, I sent that 19 off to Robar, for NP3.

Hard to believe they're the same age, ain't it?

I currently have two "snub nosed" revolvers and one "pocket" revolver.

THE BEAST! 

This ultra-light Taurus revolver is actually painful to shoot, even with standard .38 Special loads.  The wife wanted it because it was  "light and pretty."  She fired two rounds and it was no longer "pretty."  She changed to a S&W Model 15-4 "Combat Masterpiece" and now is happy.

Taurus Model M85UL, "Ultra-Light" in .38 Special

7zOUa3.jpg

This is my little S&W pocket revolver.  Manufactured in the late 1880's.  Used it once in a SASS Pocket Gun side match.  Still a sweet little shooter.

Smith & Wesson 4th Model "Pocket Revolver" in .32 S&W

c0TGbN.jpg

Finally, my favorite snubbie.  A fine example of the S&W "Chief's Special."  My shot groups tightened up significantly with the Altamont Boot Grips compared to the factory grips.

Smith & Wesson Model 36 "Chief's Special" in .38 Special (Factory Grips)

F3O6Lu.jpg

Smith & Wesson Model 36 "Chief's Special" in .38 Special (Altamont Boot Grips)

UHABCb.jpg

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

The other one you asked about is a two and a half inch Model 19. About the time I bought that 317, I sent that 19 off to Robar, for NP3.

Hard to believe they're the same age, ain't it?

NP3, huh? That looks pretty cool. 

Yeah, that is amazing. Looks like you have been getting your money’s worth out of that 317. It looks so bad it actually looks good. :lol:

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

I'm going to blame it on you, Pat. while I have read a couple of novels where they mentioned a snub nose automatic, my question came simply because of your post with the pictures which included two automatics - both of which had short barrels.

I have decided now that it was simply a case of the snub nose revolver you wish to show a picture of had an automatic in the picture with it, but when I asked my question I thought you were counting them as snub noses also.

There ya go reading novels again. :P

Ahh... the P38... My dad taught me to shoot on that one, and his 1911.
I have neither today.. a pity.

The closest I get to a snubby is my 4" SP101 in 357.
It's a nice shooter.  Enjoyable.

58 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There ya go reading novels again. :P

In the novel B) GUNS FOR THE SOUTH, after the war has been won, Marse Robert is walking down the street in Richmond, and comes to a bookstore. He decides, on the spur of the moment, that he will buy a novel. It had been several years since he had read a novel. He attempted to purchase IVANHOE, but the book merchant refused sell it to him. He said it was his only copy, and if he sold it to Mr. Lee, he would not have any left. So Gen'rl Bobby bought QUINTON DURWARD. The book seller had no problem selling him a copy of that - he had three in stock.

I own 3, all S&W, a Model 19-2 a 342PD and a model 60-10 Ladysmith with a 3 inch barrel. I need to take a photo of the model 60

S&W19-2.png

20180130_195342.jpg

If you mean because you have the pistol proper, and then you have the barrel sticking off into space with nothing else attached to it, so you can snub the barrel, let me direct your attention to the Swedish Lahti,

H0088-L170030264.jpg

the Italian Glisenti,

H3925-L09112960.jpg

the Japanese nambu,

1a.jpg

and of course Bill Ruger's standard auto

wm_7482572.jpg

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

If you mean because you have the pistol proper, and then you have the barrel sticking off into space with nothing else attached to it, so you can snub the barrel, let me direct your attention to the Swedish Lahti,

H0088-L170030264.jpg

the Italian Glisenti,

H3925-L09112960.jpg

the Japanese nambu,

1a.jpg

and of course Bill Ruger's standard auto

wm_7482572.jpg

All valid examples of what *could* have a snubbed nose version.   I guess we could add the Broomhandle to this category as well.  :)

Or the Savage 1917...   Or the...  Okay, there are a few auto's that COULD have a snub nose version, but most of 'em don't unless it's an after market owner modification.

Archived