SASS Wire Forum

WTB or get recommendations for CAS leather rig

Outlaw Gambler

I am looking to buy a "Doc Holiday" style double holster shoulder rig that will fit a big guy. Holsters need to fit a six shooter the size of a Cimarron Lightning. 

In lieu of finding a used one I am interested in finding a maker, if you have any recommendations for someone that makes this style of rig, I would appreciated hearing about them. 

Thanks.

:FlagAm: This craftsman has done all our leather: wmbrownholster.com

b.png

Bill comes from several generations of leather craftsmen.  Rigs and other leather items were made for such notables as Tom Nix and William S. Hart as well as others by his grandfather, etc.  Bill really knows his trade.

Chas B

42 minutes ago, jeeper90 said:

Sorry to say, but shoulder rigs are not allowed in SASS.

Smokewagon Grampies 

Sure they are, unless it just changed last night.

Ted Blocker makes a nice shoulder rig. I have one and enjoy wearing it only on side match day. The problem with a shoulder rig is that the gun WILL fall out anytime you bend over to pick something up, get something out of your cart, move quickly and lean down to pick up your rifle etc. you absolutely MUST strap the gun in when its not in use. That is not very practical when shooting a main match. Having said all that, I still like mine for the style points on side match days. 

I have made a few shoulder holsters and no one has ever complained of their gun falling out. As long as it is designed to hold the gun decently and not some sort of gamer holster with half the gun sticking out there should be little problem with retention. I carried a small semi-auto as an off duty weapon when I was  Deputy Sheriff for awhile and I had no problem with that one either, and I never used an retention straps. But none of them were horizontal hold either, which makes retention worse.

2 hours ago, jeeper90 said:

Smokewagon Grampies 

They are. Outlaw gambler has been around for a bit. He knows the rules 

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Sure they are, unless it just changed last night.

You’re not wrong. There’s so much misinformation out there. 

9 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

They are. Outlaw gambler has been around for a bit. He knows the rules 

You’re not wrong. There’s so much misinformation out there. 

So sorry, didn't mean to step on toes. I don't really care! I was hoping to save someone from buying something he couldn't use in a match. By all means spend away!

Smokewagon Grampies 

Not being legal and not being allowed are 2 very different things. I talked my wife out of using a shoulder holster because i knew they were a different animal and she would have to be extra careful, and I didn't feel it was worth the effort .But is she has insisted I would have made one for her and let her use it.

7 hours ago, jeeper90 said:

Smokewagon Grampies 

Shooters Handbook pg 3

Although cross draw and shoulder holsters are legal, extreme care must be exercised when drawing a firearm from a cross draw or shoulder holster or retuning the firearm to leather.

4 hours ago, jeeper90 said:

So sorry, didn't mean to step on toes. I don't really care! I was hoping to save someone from buying something he couldn't use in a match. By all means spend away!

Smokewagon Grampies 

It’s not about stepping on toes. Wrong advice, even with the best of intentions, is still wrong advice. 

Thanks for the information. I have started contacting some of the people mentioned and recommended. 

I knew they were legal as I used one before but sold it when I made a new set of traditional belted leather. I sold all my leather working tools or I would make another.

As for the misinformation that is posted, not only on this post but many others, with or without good intentions, be sure of the validity of your information before you post it. A new shooter or a wanna be may get spooked as they may not know the rules.

I’ve seen the Doc Holiday rigs that Double Diamond builds and they are incredible. You knight PM him or PM me for his contact information, he’s not on the Wire that much.

On 1/27/2021 at 1:37 PM, jeeper90 said:

Smokewagon Grampies 

Boulder canyon bob has been using a shoulder rig as long as I can remember.   

Ive shot using two shoulder holsters several times.  As long as you don't sweep anyone they are perfectly legal.    You may want to brush up on the rules

Just now, evil dogooder said:

Boulder canyon bob has been using a shoulder rig as long as I can remember.   

Ive shot using two shoulder holsters several times.  As long as you don't sweep anyone they are perfectly legal.    You may want to brush up on the rules

Outlaw what is your chest size i may have a spare double rig that i use in ahlmans melodrama that may fit you.  If i remember right your a little bit bigger through the chest

Ole Blue Eyes nailed it Danny Murphy does great work with leather.  Has made leather for me a couple times.  Happy

Archived