SASS Wire Forum

Cooking oil

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I'm about to trying anew recipe for deep fried breaded mushrooms.  Got everything together for the breading and realized that I have no idea what kind of oil to use.

I have Wesson oil, olive oil, infused olive oil in seven varieties, canola oil, motor oil, lamp oil, gun oil., mineral oil.........................but I have no clue what to use.

Help me out here, please.  I'm a ready to go except for this and my mouth is waiting impatiently.

Good Canadian Canola Oil, (Formerly known as Rape Seed Oil until it got politically incorrect)

Do you have a recommended temperature for your oil. You should consider the temperature and the smoke point of the oil you are using. Olive oil is often too low.

one thing I do in case the oil starts to smoke. I will have a cup nearby with a half cup of oil at room temperature. Or a quarter cup.  If the oil in the pan gets too hot and begins to smoke , immediately add room temperature oil to your pan then lower the flame. The smoking will stop.

15 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Do you have a recommended temperature for your oil. You should consider the temperature and the smoke point of the oil you are using. Olive oil is often too low.

one thing I do in case the oil starts to smoke. I will have a cup nearby with a half cup of oil at room temperature. Or a quarter cup.  If the oil in the pan gets too hot and begins to smoke , immediately add room temperature oil to your pan then lower the flame. The smoking will stop.

6 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Do not use olive oil for deep fried foods. 

Vegetable oil,  canola oil, corn oil only since you are allergic to peanuts. 

That's good info. Thank you.

Whats wrong with good old fashioned Crisco or Lard?

31 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Everything tastes better fried in bacon grease.

I beg to differ. When I cook something that has bacon added, I always drain the grease, put water in the pan, drain, wipe with paper towels. Then, I use the pan for the rest of the recipe.  Otherwise it is too salty for our taste.

Avocado oil. Works better than canola or olive and has a significantly higher smoke temp. (IE other oils smoke off at lower temps). Ask me, I bought a Blackstone griddle 7 weeks ago and already have 20+ cooks on it. 

10 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I'm about to trying anew recipe for deep fried breaded mushrooms.  Got everything together for the breading and realized that I have no idea what kind of oil to use.

I have Wesson oil, olive oil, infused olive oil in seven varieties, canola oil, motor oil, lamp oil, gun oil., mineral oil.........................but I have no clue what to use.

Help me out here, please.  I'm a ready to go except for this and my mouth is waiting impatiently.

Coconut oil...and Tempura batter (in a box)

Everyone is over looking the best fat to use for breaded mushrooms. We use an iron skillet and on low to med low heat use only BUTTER. Nothing we have experimented with is close to the flavor of butter. 

23 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Do not use olive oil for deep fried foods. 

Vegetable oil,  canola oil, corn oil only since you are allergic to peanuts. 

Don't work too good in cakes either. Used some once when it was all I had, wasn't horrible but did taste kinda wonky.

JHC

NEVER use extra virgin olive oil for deep frying.

It’s way too expensive. It is a good healthy oil however.
When I fry, which is rare, I use Canola.

On 1/27/2021 at 12:12 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

If you do this, do not have a cup of water nearby for any reason.

9 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Don't work too good in cakes either. Used some once when it was all I had, wasn't horrible but did taste kinda wonky.

JHC

Oh, l don't know about that.

Lemon Olive Oil Cake Recipe (So Easy & Moist!) - Averie Cooks" https://www.averiecooks.com/lemon-olive-oil-cake/

YIELD: 12 Servings

Lemon Olive Oil Cake

prep time 10 MINUTES

cook time 1 HOUR 10 MINUTES

additional time 1 HOUR 30 MINUTES

total time 2 HOURS 50 MINUTES

Lemon zest, juice, extract, and Limoncello add so much AMAZING lemon flavor to this EASY, ridiculously moist no-mixer cake that’s unique and INCREDIBLE!!

INGREDIENTS

•  1 1/3 cups extra-virgin olive oil

•  3 large eggs

•  1 1/4 cups whole milk

•  1 1/2 tablespoons grated lemon zest

•  1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

•  1/4 cup Limoncello (Gran Marnier may be substituted)

•  1 to 2 teaspoons lemon extract

•  1 3/4 cups granulated sugar

•  2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

•  1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste

•  1/2 teaspoon baking powder

•  1/2 teaspoon baking soda

•  confectioners’ sugar, for dusting

INSTRUCTIONS

• Preheat oven to 325F, add a circle of parchment paper to the base of a 9-inch springform pan, and spray the parchment paper and the sides of the pan very well with cooking spray; set aside. Do not make this cake in a regular 9-inch cake pan. Most are only about 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep and this cake rises to about 2 1/2 to 3 inches on the sides and nearly 4 inches in the center. It will overflow in a regular 9-inch pan.

• To a large bowl, add the olive oil, eggs, and whisk well to emulsify and incorporate.

• Add the milk, lemon zest, lemon juice (I was able to get sufficient zest and juice from one very large ripe lemon), Limoncello, lemon extract, and whisk to incorporate.

• Add the sugar and whisk to incorporate.

• Add the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and whisk until just incorporated; don’t overmix. The batter in on the thin side; this is normal.

• Turn batter out into prepared pan, place pan on a baking sheet as insurance against a leaky springform pan, and bake for about 68 to 75 minutes. Start checking after 60 minutes since all ovens vary. Cake will be golden browned and domed in the center when done, and a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean or with a few moist crumbs.

• Allow cake to cool in the springform pan for about 1 hour before releasing it and allowing the cake to finish cooling on a wire rack.

• Dust with confectioners’ sugar prior to serving. Cake will keep airtight at room temp for 1 week and although I haven't tried it, I think this cake would freeze very well for up to 3 months

Archived