SASS Wire Forum

Practical jokes

For the last few weeks my brother has been dealing with blue ice from the ice make in the refrigerator. When you google the problem,  possibly causes are corrosion from copper water lines.

not really any copper in the house, so he’s spoke to the utility company, fridge manufacture ect....   come to find out my 14yr old middle nephew has been putting small amounts of blue dye in the ice maker. He even continued after my brother started tearing into the problem just to screw with them.  Last year he switch labels on some of the canned goods, used hot glue to reattach the labels. Open what you think is green beans and get ravioli.   Never says anything to give himself away, might wait weeks before the prank is realized. He’s my favorite of the 4 nephews. 
anyone have any good pranks they want to share. I’ll pass them on to my nephew, wouldn’t want to miss a chance to aggravate my brother. 
LF.   

Practical jokes are neither practical nor jokes. The perpetrator should be beaten with a horse whip, tarred and feathered, and ridden out of town on a rail.

I have a good prank...It's called a "paddle". :lol:

Actually, that blue ice thing is pretty funny.

Years ago I made a random squealer. It was a piezo alarm hooked up to a random pulse generator and a 9 volt battery. It would emit 1/2 second beeps at random time intervals. I stuck it under a  tool box in the rail shop. It was 2 months before someone finally found  it. :lol:

Back when McDonald's had honey packets for their chicken nuggets we had a real pretty boy working in  the phone garage. We called him "Stay Pressed". One day we put dabs of honey on almost every part of his truck that he would have to touch. Shift, brake release, back of door handles etc. We never heard a word about it. Except for occasional "Damn it" when he found another one in the garage. We thought it was sweet.:ph34r: Boy, that was a long time ago!

Had a young Second Lieutenant report for duty on Okinawa.  He was alone because housing for his wife wasn't available at the moment so he was in the BOQ for a couple of month.s  He was a likable guy and loved to prank other folks.  Small stuff like using liquid solder on somebody's stapler or putting "strike anywhere" match heads in the pencil sharpener.  Always little thing, nothing serious.

He finally got a housing assignment and we helped him move in a few days before his wife and daughter arrived.  We also got some of the local girls who worked on the base, usually as house keepers, baby sitters and the like, and prepped them for secret assignment.  Gave them each a few dollars, too.  The day after his wife got there we had three of these little cutis to show up at his front door about supper time and when Ruthie answered the door these girls, with great enthusiasm, asked if "Bobby can come out and take us to the hotel again.  They have really good show there tonight.  and he promised."

It took us a full day of explaining to keep his wife from getting on a plane back to Texas and planning his funeral.

In the plant I used to work in there was one building that was known for practical jokes , to the point where people were fired for some of them .

One you always had to watch for was they would take packets of mustard/ketchup and put them between the toilet and the two supports on the toilet seat so when you sit down you get shot in the back of the legs .

If the group didn’t like someone they would wet down their uniform and put them in the dry ice box then place them back in their bin before they showed up . Anyone who didn’t leave their boots in the proper location would have them painted pink before their next shift . One individual had the a$$ area of his pants and nipple area of all his shirts cut out . Water fights with buckets and hoses were a normal occurrence, with water being dumped from 3 to 4 decks up . One time there was a water fight going on and the plant manager was coming in to give some customers a tour and one individual was wet , duct taped to a fork truck wearing only his boots underwear and hard hat . As you can imagine that went over well . But they were always the entertaining gossip of the plant .  They finally got reigned in when we were purchased by a less forgiving master. 
I personally don’t mind creative practical jokes , but when they are mean spirited or destructive that’s going too far 

49 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Practical jokes are neither practical nor jokes. The perpetrator should be beaten with a horse whip, tarred and feathered, and ridden out of town on a rail.

I take it you were the kid that everyone enjoyed pulling the pranks on??

LL

At one point, I sat at a desk that was back to back with another desk, with a short cubicle wall between, just tall enough to make eye contact with the guy at the next desk.  I rigged a rod thru the desks and wall that was attached to the back of his top desk drawer.  I could easily reach under my desk and grab a handle that worked the rod to close his drawer.  With the half cubicle wall, I could shut his drawer without him seeing me do it, even if we were looking at each other.  He used to keep his stapler in his drawer so nobody would take it.  he would open his drawer and grab his stapler leaving the drawer open, use the stapler and then just drop it back into the drawer with a loud clunk and slam his drawer.  So, occasionally when he dropped the stapler back, his drawer would be closed and his stapler would hit the floor.  When too many people knew about it and I was getting phone calls from others in the office saying "do it again", I finally came clean.  He laughed about it, I knew he would.  He was that kind of guy.

Done a few, but I still laugh at the one my dad did when he was a motorcycle cop back in the 50's.

Mid March as roll call was over dad would go out to his wheel and attempt to start it. (Back then bikes started by a foot crank) Anyway, the bike would never start and the sergeant would watch as dad cussed the heck out of the bike. This went on for weeks. Finally on April 1st, April fools day of course, once again dad was cranking the ole Harley which would not start as usual. As the sergeant watched again shaking his head, dad pulled out the revolver and began shooting the bike. The sergeant became unglued as all the other wheelmen watched laughing who were in on it. You see, dad unplugged the spark plug wires all the time so the bike would never start. This time the same, but the gun was loaded with blanks. I never heard the rest of the story how the sergeant handled it other than the guys told me he began laughing himself once he realized what had been pulled on him. As I understand it the sergeant was a prankster like every other cop.

I like a good prank..... BUT, I never mess with anyone's clothes or food or inject a safety issue.

That being stated, TN Williams and I have devised a prank to pull on his Better Half.

In the next few days, he will call me on the phone BEFORE she gets in his truck.    He and I will remain TOTALLY silent as she

gets in his truck.   His phone will be on speaker and I will be able to hear their conversations.

At some point, I will whisper her name.    I might even whisper it a couple times.

When she ask him what he wants, he will deny saying anything.   As they continue down the road, I will interject other

words like.....'Help Me' or maybe speak her name again.    All the while, he will deny hearing anything.

She won't know about his live phone connection with me and he'll pretend he hears nothing.

Should be a good one!

..........WIdder

I had a good one pulled on me many  years ago.

I would get phone calls with people asking for "George". I would say "I am sorry but must have a wrong number. No one by the name of  George lives here."  and these poeple would proceed to say "I'd like to leave him a message" and  then would say something like "let him know I can't make it to his party" or " tell him Saturday is no good, how about Sunday?" and things like that. If I didn't answer they  would leave a message for George on my  answering machine.

This went on for a  few days then that Saturday evening I get a call and when I answer  this  guy says "Hi,  this  is George....Do I have any messages?":lol:

At first I was PO'd  and  then realized  I was  being pranked. It turns  out this whole thing was arranged by a friend  of mine's girlfriend. He and I phone pranked  her a few times. She was getting us back. She  did the same thing to him. All  her coworkers were involved. Hilarious. She won! :lol:

Knew an electrical engineer that convinced his wife that leaving an extension cord plugged in with no appliance on the other end would allow the electricity to "leak" out and increase their electric bill!:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

Actually no. I can think of things to pull on people, all the time. I just don't do it. It's like taking a crap in the middle of the dining room table. You might think it's funny. All your friends might think it's funny. But it's not funny. And it better not be my dining room table.

My last job before I retired. There was a guy that liked to "prank" our coworkers. and he would come and tell me about what he had just done to Kevin or to Dennis or to Chuck. I told him that I saw nothing funny in things like that, and that it would probably be a good thing if he did not try one on me.

He worked there 2 years. He pulled something on every single person in the building, including the boss. But not me. apparently he believed me when I told him it would not be a good thing to do.

Practical joking treads a fine line between humor and assholery.   I’ve been the butt of jokes and played a few myself, but they never caused permanent harm, took up too much time, or were pulled on anybody but very good friends who knew where my heart was.

We liked to send the new guy to the "supply window" girl to get 20' of Fallopian tube for the job today. She always knew before he even got there!

Kool-aid or a lifesaver in the shower head.

I also like the little air horn zip tied to the seat rail in your car then slide the seat all the way up so when theyvadjust it back the airport toots

At one place I worked one of ladies was a nervous type.   I  noticed that she would open her desk drawer a few inches,  reac in without looking to grab a pencil or pen. 

One morning I put a cat toy in there , a little rabbit fur mouse.  Golly,  did she scream!

I'm with Alpo.  I'm not a fan of most pranks.  I've never understood the humor involved in being a jerk to somebody.  I refuse to listen to radio guys that make prank phone calls and such.  Ruining someone else's day just isn't funny to me.  I don't recall being the victim of such pranks, but I've seen people involved.  All I recall thinking at the time was "What a jerk".  I guess all the pranks I've witnessed seemed mean spirited and not "good natured".

That said, one I recall was done by a fire-fighter on her co-workers.  She baked a cake, or brownies, or some such for the crew and included an ingredient that made all those that ate it piss red.  The first few that noticed it freaked out and thought they were peeing blood.  I don't recall what they had done to her that caused her to retaliate in such a manner, but I do recall thinking that the "victims" had deserved it.

Angus

1 hour ago, Texas Joker said:

Kool-aid or a lifesaver in the shower head.

I also like the little air horn zip tied to the seat rail in your car then slide the seat all the way up so when theyvadjust it back the airport toots

Ooh...I did the air horn under a  desk chair trick at work a few  years ago. This guy always came into our office area and lowered  any chair he sat in. I asked  him not to adjust other people's chairs. He was a smartass and wouldn't listen. He sure listened to that air horn though. Scared the living hell out of him....and he got the point.

Here's a quieter sample of what I did. I used a 100dB horn. It was much louder than this video.

My boss (at the time and also a very good friend) was at a skying trip in Colorado with his wife.  He had left his brand new Ford SUV in our parking (the FAA control tower in Miami).  While walking across the parking lot one evening I noticed his truck and got inspired.  I got four real long tie-wraps, crawled under his SUV and tied them around the drive shaft.

Several days later he came back and put his wife in a cab so she could come to the ATCT and pick up the SUV.  Well, the inevitable happened.  She called him back and in a very panicky way advised him that the SUV was making horrible noises.  He got in another cab (mind you they each charged $20.00 to take you from one end of the airport to the other) with all the luggage and came to the ATCT.

Short story, he figured out and repaired the situation and left.

He then calls me and advised me not to show up around the house because that happened to be Debbie's SUV and she was always armed.  I, of course, pled innocence!

We were always playing pranks to each other but he could never top that one.  He tried, Lordee, he tried!

Irritating squad partner?
Siren power ON

Selector to YELP

Battery switch off.
When said sucker hits the saddle, reaches down and turns the battery switch inside that garage ... hellooo ...

Darken two ammonia capsules with magic marker and tape them to the brake pedal.

Crunch.

New guy gets the top bunk.

Right above the top bunk, the suspended ceiling.

Through the suspended ceiling, an 18 gauge IV needle; to this, extension tubing; this is dressed invisibly under the mark's mattress, connected with an expired bag of IV fluid ... lay down, you irritating soul, and get your Saturday night bath a few days early ...
One of the town cops was deathly afraid of snakes.

One of the other officers phoned in a fake report of the snake trailer being broken into ... the yearly carnival was set up on the town square, get down here fast, we've got snakes all over hell and breakfast ... when we saw that three cell Mag Lite swinging down the alley, all elbows and kneecaps, Benny slid into the station, put a rubber snake in the desk drawer on top of the blank report sheets.

Poor old Joe came back in, opened the drawer to get a report form to fill out on this malicious false alarm.
His full house .357 went through that rubber snake, through the entire stack of reports, through the back of the desk, knocked a spall from the concrete floor, ricocheted up and hit the wall, knocked another spall and went who knows where from there.

The spent slug was found a year and a half later, when the inside of the station was repainted.

One of the fellows also worked for a water company, and the boss was (let me be polite here) universally hated.

It seems that -- the tie wrap story jogged my poor failing memory -- an enterprising soul slid under the boss's truck with a roll of duct tape and a half dozen wheel weights.
The long wheel weights were taped -- two, two and two, in line at the center of the driveshaft -- I know the event occurred, but left the area without hearing the result.

In his early teens my brother was an acolyte at several weddings. He and his bestest buddy put some raw shrimp inside the hubcap of the honeymoon car. They thought that was a wonderful joke. Another time they got some of the rice that was supposed to be tossed at the new couple and they put it down the carburetor of the honeymoon escape car. That cost the two of them some money.

19 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

In my case, yes. I was the quiet one that everyone thought should be messed with, until I fractured my tailbone due to one of the pranks.  They released the stop on my desk chair so when I sat down, it collapsed to the floor.  I slid off, landing on the concrete on my tailbone.  Not funny.

My father told me a story once about pranksters that gave me pause.  I decided pranks weren't funny after all.

In the mid 1960's there was a gentleman in my father's office that was a little "off".  He would wear a crash helmet while driving, when locking or unlocking his desk, he checked the drawers 3 or 4 times to make sure they were secure, everything had a place and nothing moved from that place unless it was in use etc.

Back in those days, each of the desks was equipped with tarps to pull over the desk, in case someone came in that wasn't supposed to be there.  The pranksters decided to hide a pair of women's panties in the tarp.  They called for a drill and the panties came flying out.  The guy just about had a coronary right there.  The last prank they played on him was to take a document cover sheet indicating a top secret document, and place it under his calculator.  He came in the next morning and found it.  It was only a cover sheet, no documents with it.  The guy went nuts, he was sure he hadn't left it there but no one would admit to the prank.  He was so upset, the boss sent him home.  The next morning the boss called the group together to inform them the gent committed suicide.   That kinda tainted me on pranks.  Now I realize this was an extreme case, but the person's ability to deal with the pranks should have some serious consideration when dishing them out.

As a police detective in a relatively small department there were only the two of us in the detective division. We each had separate unmarked take home cars assigned to us. They were the basis of many of my get even pranks I pulled on him.  We of course had each other’s keys. The best but simplest was one Saturday morning I found his car parked in front of Sams Club. I moved the car about 500 yards and hid it behind a restaurant. I never mentioned it and he never said a word about it. 
Many nights when I had been on call on my way home I would use the key fob for his car and open his trunk and set off the alarm,  after several trips to maintenance when they couldn’t find the problem and were taking the car to the dealer I fessed up

2 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

In my case, yes. I was the quiet one that everyone thought should be messed with, until I fractured my tailbone due to one of the pranks.  They released the stop on my desk chair so when I sat down, it collapsed to the floor.  I slid off, landing on the concrete on my tailbone.  Not funny.

My father told me a story once about pranksters that gave me pause.  I decided pranks weren't funny after all.

In the mid 1960's there was a gentleman in my father's office that was a little "off".  He would wear a crash helmet while driving, when locking or unlocking his desk, he checked the drawers 3 or 4 times to make sure they were secure, everything had a place and nothing moved from that place unless it was in use etc.

Back in those days, each of the desks was equipped with tarps to pull over the desk, in case someone came in that wasn't supposed to be there.  The pranksters decided to hide a pair of women's panties in the tarp.  They called for a drill and the panties came flying out.  The guy just about had a coronary right there.  The last prank they played on him was to take a document cover sheet indicating a top secret document, and place it under his calculator desk.  He came in the next morning and found it.  It was only a cover sheet, no documents with it.  The guy went nuts, he was sure he hadn't left it there but no one would admit to the prank.  He was so upset, the boss sent him home.  The next morning the boss called the group together to inform them the gent committed suicide.   That kinda tainted me on pranks.  Now I realize this was an extreme case, but the person's ability to deal with the pranks should have some serious consideration when dishing them out.

Along those lines we had a guy when I worked in aerospace that found a packet of decals that had the words “BRICKBAT PRIORITY” in large black letters on a brightly colored background. It was either yellow or Orange. Anyway, I told him that those decals were for classsified information that was for the President of the United States ONLY and that he should turn those decals in to the head of security. 
He laughed and told me to “Lighten up! It’s no big deal.”  
I notified the head of security and thought they might come down, give him some crap and give him a good talking to. 
I was wrong.
He came into work the next day to be met by security and two plainclothes DOD Investigators. They hauled his butt to a secure office and grilled him for hours and instructed him on DOD Security Protocols. He darn near lost his job and went to jail. He lost his security clearance. 
He absolutely deserved it. 
Now that pinhead is a programming engineer at Gooogle. He was a Sr Programming Engineer until the sex scandal broke and he was demoted. 
What a maroon!

7 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

I was going to go there but decided not to. :P

I've played many on people and had many played on me. 

One of my favorite ones was a spur of the moment thing. We had just hired a guy from Buffalo, New York who moved here the day before he started work. At first break, he asked what was the deal with the "little dragons" (lizards) that were running around everywhere. Now I'd never met the guy before that morning but it didn't matter. I told him that they were Cuban lizards and extremely poisonous. I could tell by the way he was looking at me that he was eating this bs hook, line and sinker. Continued by telling him that they had fangs at the back of their throat and the poison was worse than that of a rattlesnake. If they managed to bite you, that they would hang on and continued to inject the poison for as long as they held on. I also told him that if you didn't get antivenom within 3 hours that you would probably die.

Well, lunch came around and one of the guys went outside and caught two of them. One of them he kept hidden in his hand and let the other clamp down on a finger when he went back inside yelling and screaming that "it got me". The lizard let go after about 15 seconds and ran off but it was long enough for the new guy to see the lizard bite.   The bite victim played it pretty good and fell on the floor writhing in pain spitting froth. When we started to gather around, he tossed the spare lizard onto the new guy and it clung to his t-shirt. I've never seen a guy turn pure white and tear his shirt off that quick. We couldn't hold it together any longer and busted out laughing. He knew he'd been had and by the end of the day he was laughing about it also. He turned out to be quite a good worker and he got to play his share of gags on others also.

Edit - Forgot about the scream. I had never heard a man scream like that and still haven't heard another man scream like that...not even in the movies.

On April 1st, I've been known to put a rubber band around the kitchen sink spray hose trigger. Aimed right where one stands to turn on the sink faucet...

But my favorite was when a prankster at work brought me some papers to sign and handed me a pen. By weight and feel, I knew instantly it was one of those electric shock pens.

I proceeded to (pretend to) click it two or three times, set it down muttering "it doesn't work" and getting a pen out of the desk for the paperwork. Yup, he picked up his own electric shock pen and pushed the button!

Close friend, (Brother from another Mother) and I pranked one another from time to time.

He bought a used car and claimed he knew these cars inside out and could always fix them.

UMM. OK

One night I took leads from an EB cap and pulled the lead off a spark plug, then wrapped the thin wire around the spark plug and grounded it to the block.

Car ran. Sort of. With misses and backfires.

Took him a while to find it.

A cigarette makes a great time-delay fuse for a firecracker or M-80.  Put the fuse through the tobacco at 90 degrees to the length of the cigarette just ahead of the filter.  Light the cigarette and you have about 5 minutes to get somewhere else.

I used it to wake up troublemakers in my dorm, taping the “bomb” to their door.  I was with witnesses in a dorm lounge when they went off.  I was one of the dorm Resident Advisors so I was never suspected.

:ph34r:

I have come to hate practical jokes, regretting my youthful indiscretions.

54 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

... bought a used car ...

From my dad...

Guy at work bought a new Volkswagen Bug. Kept talking about the great mileage... And talking and talking and talking...

So my dad hatched a plan. And put it in play. For a few days, he added a half gallon of gas to the guy's car. Then upped the amount. As the days went by, the guy talked even more about how great the mileage on his car was.

At some point, my dad was keeping the car topped off every day, the tank was always full!

Then he reversed course, first taking out a half gallon each day... And after a few days, even more...

4 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

Back in those days, each of the desks was equipped with tarps to pull over the desk, in case someone came in that wasn't supposed to be there.  The pranksters decided to hide a pair of women's panties in the tarp.  They called for a drill and the panties came flying out.  The guy just about had a coronary right there.  The last prank they played on him was to take a document cover sheet indicating a top secret document, and place it under his calculator desk.  He came in the next morning and found it.  It was only a cover sheet, no documents with it.  The guy went nuts, he was sure he hadn't left it there but no one would admit to the prank.  He was so upset, the boss sent him home.  The next morning the boss called the group together to inform them the gent committed suicide.   That kinda tainted me on pranks.  Now I realize this was an extreme case, but the person's ability to deal with the pranks should have some serious consideration when dishing them out.

Thank you for the post, Kris. It reaffirms my dislike for pranks.

Archived