SASS Wire Forum

You know that stereotype old grumpy cop?

DeaconKC

They are not stereotypes, we exist. While not a cop, I was a Field Parole Agent, and we got that way by dealing with rampant stupidity every day. My Boss accused me of speaking three languages: English, Sarcasm and Grouchy.

Here's an example of why...

I worked a High Risk Unit that supervised sex offenders and felons so violent they were on GPS tracking. One of the duties we had to do was investigate and try to approve where these folks would reside. With laws and Court Orders we denied about 3 out of 4 possibilities. Once, one of my child molesters was losing his residence and we were scrambling to find him a new spot. He called with a possibility, a homosexual who was on Probation for several convictions and is in the process of having a sex change. Yeah...

So I call my Boss, who supervises the Southern 44 Counties of Sex Offenders and High Risk parolees in Illinois, and tell him about the possible location. There is a very long pause and he says "Please tell me you're yanking my chain" I tell him that, no, I'm not kidding. There is an even longer pause then "Only you..."

This kind of stuff is why we are grouchy...

I retired from law enforcement in 2016, having spent all but two years of my career working the night shift, and all of it in the ghetto (or a different division than the ghetto but bordering the ghetto, where I was called "ghetto north").  I was absolutely the guy you're talking about.  I was short-tempered, grouchy, sarcastic, etc.  It wasn't until 2019 that my wife told me she could see the old [Cyrus] starting to re-emerge.

When I was leaving the Navy I was actively being recruited by the Virginia State Police. Sometimes I wish I would have gone that route but one night my wife said "I would hate for you to become a cop and become one of those grouchy cops with a bad attitude."

Well, I ended  up passing on the State Police offer as I was offered a  job in El Segundo California working in aerospace less than a mile from the beach  so I  took that job instead.

Every once in a while I think about what a good  cop I would have been, but the funny part  is, I still ended up up grouchy...

"One of my child molesters......"

There aren't too many professions where you can make that statement. ;)

Archived