SASS Wire Forum

Need help on purchasing a Dillon 550

Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L

After you get  it all set up and dialed in, make sure you check things once in a while. Tightness of things supposed to be tight, alignment of things supposed to be aligned etc. Judicious lube in the right areas, You'll be very happy with what you've bought. There's a lot of opinions and hacks for things out there to make your process better. Take a look and try some if they seem worthwhile. Keep your primer plate aligned and tight or you'll come up with some new words if it gets outta whack. Best of luck!

I run both smokeless and BP on mine. When loading BP I make sure the powder hopper is completely empty, then run brass through stages 1 and 2 which will size, prime and bell the case. I then pull the case off before entering stage 3. I drop them in a case holder and hand dip my BP. I then go back to stage 3 and 4 on the press for seating and crimp. The advantage to doing it this way for me is that I can just add powder and I am back in the smokeless loading business if needed and I found that I got a lot of dust using the Powder hopper with BP. The dust seemed to gum up my primer feed. So I am not constantly taking it apart to clean it. YMMV.

I just keep one powder measure dedicated to BP....  Just blow out the dust after every use... 

Thanks pards - yeah, the main unit and one quick change unit are dedicated to BP (real) only - 44 WCF and 45 Colt. Was told that the Dram Worx are a good fit for BP, though I have read here on the Wire that the plastic ones are fine too. My floor is concrete and understand that a static charge igniting the BP is really more myth than fact (hope I don't make it fact). My Lee Classic will be dedicated to 45-70 now. The one thing I will do is certainly upkeep the equipment and lube.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

40 minutes ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L said:

... understand that a static charge igniting the BP is really more myth than fact (hope I don't make it fact).

Two comments:

Comment 1:

Having researched this, it is more myth than fact. Someone out there tried to make an electronic ignition setup to fire charges and had as hell of a time getting it to work.

If there is graphite in the mix, the charges run on the surface of the powder rather than through it so it does not ignite easily.

Without graphite, the carbon still tends to route the charge on the exterior of the particles.

In either case, if not tightly packed, the charge tends to push the particles apart breaking the circuit and limiting current flow.

If the powder is packed tight, then it still takes more than the "typical" static discharge to ignite it.

But it does seem that static can cause clogging in the metering tip and at least for Holy black, irregular and varying grain sizes might also cause problems.

So, a powder check bar makes sense.

Comment 2:

Dillon specifically says do not load BP on their presses. So when talking to them to order one, just don't mention BP. :)

45 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Two comments:

Comment 1:

Having researched this, it is more myth than fact. Someone out there tried to make an electronic ignition setup to fire charges and had as hell of a time getting it to work.

If there is graphite in the mix, the charges run on the surface of the powder rather than through it so it does not ignite easily.

Without graphite, the carbon still tends to route the charge on the exterior of the particles.

In either case, if not tightly packed, the charge tends to push the particles apart breaking the circuit and limiting current flow.

If the powder is packed tight, then it still takes more than the "typical" static discharge to ignite it.

But it does seem that static can cause clogging in the metering tip and at least for Holy black, irregular and varying grain sizes might also cause problems.

So, a powder check bar makes sense.

Comment 2:

Dillon specifically says do not load BP on their presses. So when talking to them to order one, just don't mention BP. :)

Dillon was told to say that by their lawyers.

The Pyrex hopper is great!

Been loading real BP on my Dillon 550 since 1987.

OLG 

31 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Dillon was told to say that by their lawyers.

The Pyrex hopper is great!

Been loading real BP on my Dillon 550 since 1987.

OLG 

No doubt. I'm planning to load with APP. Just not going to tell Dillon when I order my press.

31 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

No doubt. I'm planning to load with APP. Just not going to tell Dillon when I order my press.

APP made a dusty mess out of my 550. Never again.

Archived