SASS Wire Forum

Aguila mini shells question

DeaconKC

Okay just saw these mentioned in the Shotgun defense thread and a thought popped up: Has anyone here used the Aguila mini shells in a 29 Gauge, and how was recoil? My wife is very recoil shy and if these would work I have a light 20 Gauge that would probably work for her. Thanks!

I have only used them in the 12 ga shockwave. the recoil is light. So I image a 20 ga would be less..

Well crud, just looked at their website and they only make it in 12 Gauge. Seems like it would be a natural for 20s.

4 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Well crud, just looked at their website and they only make it in 12 Gauge. Seems like it would be a natural for 20s.

The main purpose is to be able to stuff more shells in your defensive shotgun mag tube, not specifically to lessen recoil. So that’s why only 12 ga I reckon.

8 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The main purpose is to be able to stuff more shells in your defensive shotgun mag tube, not specifically to lessen recoil. So that’s why only 12 ga I reckon.

Yup, however, several folks stated they had less recoil. So I may pick up some to try and see if they might work for the Missus out of the Stoeger Coach.

1 minute ago, DeaconKC said:

Yup, however, several folks stated they had less recoil. So I may pick up some to try and see if they might work for the Missus out of the Stoeger Coach.

I haven’t tried them in my Stoeger. I’ll do that tomorrow if I get a chance.

• 3 months later...

has anyone tried the mini shells at a match?  do you think they would shuck better or worse than standard shells out of a double?  mostly just curious.

On 1/26/2021 at 2:39 PM, DeaconKC said:

It's marketed as mainly a defensive round to increase magazine capacity I believe, not really a sporting round. I load em in my Shockwave.

Shockwavelaser1.jpg

16 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

They are too short to be easily loaded.

Even in a double?

Have heard some have tried them for WB.    Helps get 6 in 97.     GW

I build 2 inch [oal] 12 ga shells that allow me to get 7 in my 6 rd magazines. I have Marlins, win and norinco 97s and M12s. The Marlins and original winchester seem to feed them pretty good but in the M12s the shell sometimes hits the front of the ejection port causing a problem. Just need to remember to tilt the gun a little. My old norinco trenchgun is just becoming balky with everything. Needs a tear down and cleaning. 

;)  Deacon

If your needing something "light" for a 20Ga Coach, look to "Fiocchi Trainer" 20Ga.  You may have to find an LGS or retailer to order it in for you, but the ammunition turns a light 20Ga into a Pussy Cat.

There actually isn't very much of anything "off the shelf" from the "usual suspects" that can be called "light" for a 20Ga.

Archived