SASS Wire Forum

recommendations for my first concealed carry

Snakejaw_Joe

Buy the best quality that you can afford, buy something that you can shoot and afford to shoot and lastly buy what makes you happy.  There is a lot of options and deal with a reputable local gun dealer.  There is no magical handgun round that is concealable and always remember that this is serious.   stuff.  Personally I seem to carry a revolver more than anything else.  Don't forget to carry a reload of ammo.

I'm a 3 O'clock OWB carrier.

My first carry? Sig SP2022 9mm. That fits the bill for under $500 and seriously reliable. But...

Well, not really a but, but there are other costs. You will need SD ammo that runs in the gun. At least (a couple) hundred rounds. That is expensive.

Holster, belt, mag carrier. Second belt. Second holster. Third belt. don't be cheap and you may break the cycle I was in. Figure $1,000 for a complete and tested (ammo) rig.

Backing up, go rent guns! I bought the day after someone tried to break into my mountain cabin while I was home. I was at the LGS the next day. Oh, I did do my Internet research so I already knew I needed a Glock 19 (running Internet joke).

Seriously, none of the Glocks fit my hand. The Sig did. It fit. It just fit. The grip felt right. The sights simply lined up. It worked. So much earlier in this thread, there was some advice to rent before buying. Do that, it is cheaper in the long run. Hell, it is cheaper in the short run too.

Sig P938? Awesome tack driver. I have one. No longer carry it. I am too active and I knocked the ambi safety off of safe all the time. I'm very active, and the P938 is modeled on the Colt Mustang which does not have a grip safety. Mine is now a range toy. I love it, but no longer carry it.

I do still carry my SP2022 at times, and still compete with it. But now I mostly carry a range-officer sized 1911 in .45ACP. Yes, another $1,000 plus.

I favor larger guns, but can not carry larger than a 4" barrel due to where I want it on my belt and car seat cushions. 4" is a compromise. But it works for me.

Go rent guns!

* All cost estimates are pre-CoViD damnpanic.

Just remember, not all ammo feeds equally well in autos. Try a few in your pistol, and stick with the one that works best. Hornady Critical works best for me, but you may find Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot works better. Have fun testing it out.

Semi autos are great for carry with one caveat. You have to be familiar with it. If you wait a year to carry concealed it doesn't sound to me like you are going to go to the range often enough  to be intimately familiar with every button and lever. Unless the gun is like a friend in your hand then I would highly recommend that you stick with a light weight small 38+p revolver. Simple to use and ultra reliable. The down side is usually only 5 rounds. But then you are not in the crime prevention business. If you can't stop the threat or get out of range with 5 rounds, I don't think more will help you much.

On 1/26/2021 at 12:52 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Start by looking at a SIG P365 (or 365XL). They've sold over a million of them in the last three years, and for a reason.

I've got two of these...for size,capacity and caliber it is hard to beat. It is my ultra conceal, my edc in a iwb holster is either a full size 1911 or a glock 20. Always carry a spare mag or two. Concealment is important but two sayings come to mind, neither of them mine but I sure do believe in them....."bring enough gun"..and "im not going down for lack of shooting". Sounds like you got the practice thing down, but it will be a new gun and rig. Practice practice practice....and be safe as always!

On 1/26/2021 at 3:50 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Pocket carry SUCS when sitting down in your car etc....

OLG 

So does hip carry and in the small back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That leaves a cross draw holster.

My iwb is always carried strong side hip, carried a gun for a living for 28 years,  its a natural draw place for me, ...even with a glock 20, a good iwb, you won't feel it after a while

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

So does hip carry and in the small back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That leaves a cross draw holster.

I made a cross-country trip a few years ago with a Glock G21SF in a Galco Miami Classic 2 shoulder holster.  After 19 hours on the road, it was uncomfortable.

I do prefer a cross-draw when I know I'll be in a vehicle for extended periods, but the right appendix-carry holster with the right pistol is very doable for me.

2 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Your carry gun is essentially useless when seated, unless you're using a crossdraw or shoulder holster. You might have to move it to the center console while out on the road, assuming it's legal where you live.

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Your carry gun is essentially useless when seated, unless you're using a crossdraw or shoulder holster. You might have to move it to the center console while out on the road, assuming it's legal where you live.

Appendix carry can also be accessible, depending on pistol and holster (and body fat, I guess).

7 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I OWB carry at the 4 o'clock position, can draw sitting or standing.

OLG 

2 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Appendix carry can also be accessible, depending on pistol and holster (and body fat, I guess).

Yeah I keep forgetting about appendix carry. Then again I haven't seen my own feet in years, among other things. :unsure:

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I OWB carry at the 4 o'clock position, can draw sitting or standing.

OLG 

With your seat belt on?

New carry was a Glock 43x replacing a Glock 19 and a Kimber Combat Carry. But just got a Glock 43x MOS, will be putting co-witnessing Ameriglo night sights with a Holosun 507k x2 red dot, Talon Pro grips, a ghost connector, and a Shield Arms steel mag release. Have to practice a lot with the red dot before I can carry it so I get a natural sight picture on the presentation. Looking at Mantis 10x system for live and dry fire. 

I pocket carry in the summer, a S&W Bodyguard. With a coat on carry a hammerless Ruger SP 101. Will not use a pocket carry gun that's not double action, as don't trust the strikers light triggers. I shoot Glocks in IDPA and ASI and are very familiar with them, but a no-no in my pocket. Prefer a revolver on my belt. My only real concern is Coyote's when dog walking. Live in a somewhat rural area where they are a problem.  

Archived