SASS Wire Forum

Oil vs grease for lube?

All this debate is entertaining solves nothing. Do a little hillbilly testing and you know for sure. I keep my freezer set at zero. I f I want to test gun lube I wrap the gun in a towel and leave it in the freezer overnite. Take it out and while it is still cold check to see if it functions. If it does, that lube passes the test for any Cowboy shooting I'm going to do.

kR

25 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

All this debate is entertaining solves nothing. Do a little hillbilly testing and you know for sure. I keep my freezer set at zero. I f I want to test gun lube I wrap the gun in a towel and leave it in the freezer overnite. Take it out and while it is still cold check to see if it functions. If it does, that lube passes the test for any Cowboy shooting I'm going to do.

kR

There is plenty of research done by manufacturers the military and independents .

When I went to gunsmithing school in the 80’s the oil that was pushed at Lassen was breakfree clp . The government had tested the heck out of it back then . I’m not sure what’s currently used in the military. Or what the school is recommending .
One of the local gunshops that supplied allot of the gunsmithing students even carried a special “gunsmith grade” of breakfree that had more molybdenum disulfide in it . He also sold cans of some military surplus grease that had a very high content of molybdenum disulfide in it that would knock about a 1/4 pound off of just about any trigger pull . The only problem with the grease is it’s silver/grey so it’s like anti seize grease it’s a mess when it gets spread around. 
There’s lots of information out there on corrosion resistance and lubricity of gun oils out there if you want to read , even a few good Youtube videos .

All that being said we probably over think allot of this . I know people that have never used anything but Ballistol and never had a problem and I think it’s been around since the early 1900’s , although I’m not sure if they have changed the formulation. 

1 hour ago, Kid Rich said:

kR

Howdy KID.

My lube test probably ain't as good as your test, but I do a similar test.

I put a couple drops of oil(s) that I'm testing on an aluminum pan in the summer time and let it 'set' for a couple days.

AND..... I put a couple drops on the tip of a Q-Tip.

After a couple days, I check those drops in the pan to see if they have gummed up, evaporated, or if they still have ANY

lubricity in them.

And then I roll the Q-tips on my finger nails under the light to see if they show any lube characteristics.

That is why I like Strike Hold as a lube, along with a couple Lucas products.

Another reason I like Strike Hold is because ya don't have to 'SHAKE WELL' before usage.

..........Widder

Worth reading if you want to see a detailed test of gun care products.  Friction / Long Term Corrosion Test of Firearm lubricants  Testing is in multiple parts and continues on different pages of the post. The outdoor corrosion test was conducted for a total of 64 days.

Only oddity I see is the EezOx corrosion results. I have see several similar tests and in all them EezOx is always a top performer.

Cold YA all wouldn't Know Cold if it snuck up on Ya and Pulled your ear ....

I was working In North West Alberta on Winter when we got one day off with pay ,,, It seems that it was so cold that the Crane could not turn to where it was needed Even though it was Running 10 weight Oil in place of the normal 70 weight Gear oil .. Set an New Provincal Record for the all time coldest -85 F...

Run your Firing pins Dry for Hunting ,,,,

I have been Using TC Minnie Lube on the Arbor's of my Open-Tops , 1851s and it really pays off in keeping the cylinder turning on 1858 Remmie's ...

Using it the 58 Remmie's  will go for 5 or 6 stages ...  Shot 10 stages with my Open-tops one day with-out issue ... Using Full case loads in .44 spl.

Jabez Cowboy

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Only oddity I see is the EezOx corrosion results. I have see several similar tests and in all them EezOx is always a top performer.

That’s what makes ever picking a clear winner hard , according to his tests the Hornady one shot or frog lube look like excellent choice. I’ve been using slip 2000 products the last couple of years and been happy with them , they make cleanup very easy compared to petroleum based products. The weapons sheild guy has had YouTube videos out where he was doing the timpken bearing test to show what his oil does under a load . And if he’s not rigging the test it does well . I bought one of their sample kits to try . 
We used to have the pb blaster guy show up to our shop once a yr and do the timpken test against other lubes to sell it to us . So I guess it’s a pretty standard sales practice. The company called it lunch and learn so at least we got a free lunch out of it 

Archived