SASS Wire Forum

How about hearing something good that has happened to you recently?

The past year has been a disaster of possibly biblical proportions. People dying by the thousands, attacks on a daily basis upon our constitution and our American way of life, neighbor against neighbor and on and on.

I just wanted to say that amidst all the chaos there are still plenty of good people, trying to do the right thing, companies that still value their customers and work like crazy to keep a high level of customer service and just plain folks who go out of their way to keep doing things because it is the right thing to do.

So...

Here is one of the good things that has happened in my life recently, feel free to add your own.

First of December (the 8th) I saw a good deal on a Sig Sauer 938. Contacted the pard, we agreed on a price and sent a priority mail with USPS MO in it to acquire. Long story short the USPS decided that 2-3 day delivery was unreasonable and took 29 days to deliver said letter:wacko:. Through several correspondence the pard bore with me and honored the deal even though I am certain he could have gone another direction, finished the deal with another and had his money in time for Christmas. He sent numerous reassurances that we were still on and calmed me down as I worried about the transaction pretty much every day. He then sent me the pistol and it is more than I could have expected, looks great/near new. After a 6 day "instant" check I finally got my hands on it and it is sweet.

Ron "Ironhead" Smith -------- You are the best. Thank you so much for seeing this through.

Respectfully

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

How about the rest of you? Anything good going on in your life?

Today our doctor took my wife off of one of her blood pressure meds.  And if her weight loss continues and her blood sugar stays where it is he will take her off of Lantus (insulin). 

Also,  we know that God loves us and cares for us.   What is better than that?

3A1AEA92-6329-4183-9F8E-59AFB9B1E6F6.thumb.jpeg.e0b7ff147f29b48b4d3d40abd78da15c.jpeg

Our youngest granddaughter Sophie is a sophomore in high school, a self taught artist and member of the swim team.  This is her latest still life, charcoal.  She astounds me.

I think the reason I exist was to bring my grandchildren into the world. They humble me.

8 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

3A1AEA92-6329-4183-9F8E-59AFB9B1E6F6.thumb.jpeg.e0b7ff147f29b48b4d3d40abd78da15c.jpeg

Our youngest granddaughter Sophie is a sophomore in high school, a self taught artist and member of the swim team.  This is her latest still life, charcoal.  She astounds me.

I think the reason I exist was to bring my grandchildren into the world. They humble me.

That is phenomenal.   Especially to draw a glass jar such as that.

..........Widder

THE GOOD:   I survived open heart surgery.     The real good part is that they had to open me back up 3 times

to stop internal bleeding after the surgery was over and I was stapled back up.    They had to remove wiring, etc.....

to open me up, give me lots of blood, etc.....   Still healing but doing well.

THE BAD:   poor Red Knee.  The surgery didn't slow me down!   :lol:

..........Widder

17 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Outstanding talent!!!!!

Ok, I don't normally post for any reason let alone personal, but at work we had a boss retire and then got a replacement. I am 57 yrs old and I have worked in a wide variety of work places but the "retiree" was the worst self-proclaimed genious know-it-all I have ever come in contact with. Idiotic is a kindly and generous description. 

New boss is so completely 180 that is is very hard to comprehend how much nicer this crappy job (but it is an "essential" job) has become. I may even make retirement myself. My wife noticed a significant change within 2 days. Best Christmas present since....?

Doc Nelson

Thank you all for your replies.

God is truly great all the time, All the time God is great.

He has blessed each and every one of you and every time I see a glimpse of the goodness He has brought into your lives I feel lifted and I rejoice

Respectfully

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Last September I could not even get out of bed. Did a faceplant. Couple of times. Cat scan time, fortunately  no brain injuries. And many other tests.

Severe anemia. ICU for 4 days with a pic line. I am grateful for the learned and caring medical staff and EMT's for saving me.

I do admit that I was not the best patient because I did not like being tethered to a bed.

Still alive and no deaths in the family this past year, so I'll take that anytime. God is good all the time. All the time God is good. 

:ph34r:  Became a GREATgrandpa this week....everyone healthy and doing well.

My non-healing ulcerous wound on my foot is finally shrinking.

I'm beating prostate cancer.

Continually buoyed up mentally, spiritually, and physically by the positive and humorous posts on the Wire.

Enjoying the time of my life!

I passed a kidney stone last week. I consider that something good.

But, then again, I had taken such strong pain medicine, and so much of it, that I could have passed a football.

If you have never had that happen to you, you need to get down on your knees, and thank the good Lord.

It sort of feels like getting hit in the lower back with a crowbar, swung by the home-run champion of major league baseball. 

W.K. 

2 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

But, then again, I had taken such strong pain medicine, and so much of it, that I could have passed a football.

If you have never had that happen to you, you need to get down on your knees, and thank the good Lord.

It sort of feels like getting hit in the lower back with a crowbar, swung by the home-run champion of major league baseball. 

W.K. 

I never had kidney stones, Buckey suffered from them. Very, very painful. Diet change and medication put a stop to those horrible things.

Howdy,

20th anniversary of my back operations.

Still not stuck in a wheelchair. But that day is probably coming.

I finally got a burn notice watch.  UDT 1000 refurbished at the factory.

Runs like a clock.  Not perfect but reeeel close.

And this week diners are opening up.  Delux natchos today I hope.

Favorite waitress is so great.  And the best thing  is I never married her.

Best

CR

I had the most wonderful “birthday” weekend this past weekend. Saturday I picked my bike up from the shop. My wife bought me a new set of tires. Michelin Road 5’s. Best rain tire made for motorcycles. Tested them out by riding home in the rain. I went to the range. Watched TV all afternoon. My wife made sure I had a little party Saturday, just me, her, my daughter, son-in-law and grandson. Sunday I washed my bike. Went on a ride with my son-in-law, he has a new to him Harley Soft Tail. At the end of the ride we went to the range. My wife made me a turkey! I love roasted turkey. 
Monday, yesterday, I took the day off from work did some reloading, made up some new .45 Colt loads that are more “wrist friendly” (minimum 200 grain loads). Tried out some new bullets, polymer coated, from our good friend Bearded Wonder - he sells Wonder Bullets. They work great. 
I managed to break my New Vaquero. I knew something wasn’t right with it. Now something definitely isn’t right. It skips chambers. Anyway, good excuse to tear it down and look at it. 
Other than breaking my gun it was a fantastic weekend. I am blessed. 

Something good? I scored 1000 5.56 rounds from a friend for a good price and a unfired SW Model 10 for a great price plus my sons have scored me 1000 small pistol primers. That’s good!!

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I had the most wonderful “birthday” weekend this past weekend. Saturday I picked my bike up from the shop. My wife bought me a new set of tires. Michelin Road 5’s. Best rain tire made for motorcycles. Tested them out by riding home in the rain. I went to the range. Watched TV all afternoon. My wife made sure I had a little party Saturday, just me, her, my daughter, son-in-law and grandson. Sunday I washed my bike. Went on a ride with my son-in-law, he has a new to him Harley Soft Tail. At the end of the ride we went to the range. My wife made me a turkey! I love roasted turkey. 
Monday, yesterday, I took the day off from work did some reloading, made up some new .45 Colt loads that are more “wrist friendly” (minimum 200 grain loads). Tried out some new bullets, polymer coated, from our good friend Bearded Wonder - he sells Wonder Bullets. They work great. 
I managed to break my New Vaquero. I knew something wasn’t right with it. Now something definitely isn’t right. It skips chambers. Anyway, good excuse to tear it down and look at it. 
Other than breaking my gun it was a fantastic weekend. I am blessed. 

Happy Birthday!!!

Well, even if he's got nothin, I'm glad @Utah Bob #35998is still here.

As for me, I think most who care to know are aware it has been a pretty crappy year and a half for my family. I haven't really thought to mention it before now, but I started a new job January 11th. I work for my County Veterans Services Office. I'll be training to be a CVSO (County Veterans Services Officer), and, assuming the goal of many to begin a Veteran Treatment Court comes to fruition, I will become the liaison between our office and the court. I work with a very small group of really good people, and am looking forward to the future for the first time in a long time.

While Uno and I are in quarantine for COVID, we are glad it isn't as bad as it could be.  While we don't feel great, we aren't in the hospital.  Blessings for sure.  We are working on plans to get some much needed work done to the house, once the quarantine is lifted, like new windows and a new roof. 

We still have our health, our families and friends, including those here in the Saloon.  Couldn't ask for more than that.

We are also glad Utah Bob is still amongst us.

10 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

She has an incredible talent.  I wish her the best of luck in her artistic future.  I'm going to put my pencils away and never bring them out again. 

7 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I've had several.

The only thing good about them is when they pass and the ridiculous pain stops.

Problem is, you can just about guarantee that there will be another one along shortly.

Last one I had sent me to the ER at 2:00 A.M.  I knew exactly what it was (experience is a good teacher), and told the admitting folks what was happening in terse but definitive words.  Only thing I needed was a morphine drip - which no one was going to give me based solely on my non-credentialed diagnosis.  So I spent 2 hours on a guerney in the hallway, writhing in pain and supressing screams.  I finally couldn't take it anymore, and let out a scream that scared even me.  That was it for my wife; like a rocket she was in the nurses' station, making it quite clear that if they did not medicate me immediately, she was headed for her lawyer (that's me, but they did not need to know that) to pursue a malpractice claim.  Out of nowhere, two doctors and a nurse appeared, and decided in about 15 seconds to hang the drip and get some joy juice into my system.  Sweet euphoria......what you can't feel can't hurt you.

Good luck, Kid....I've seen a dozen urologists and other "experts"; they've all had theories about diet, meds, and varied treatments; no two alike.  My present doc says the old food theories are humbug, and suggests drinking a ton of water and a prescription for alipurinol.  Seems to work OK, with only a couple of stones in 10 years (rather than the 2 per year that were my norm previously).  

LL

I saw an advertisement online for a free umpire clinic, and only having umpired for one season, figured free training is great training!  My son is going to umpire in the fall season after playing in the spring (high school) and summer (travel ball) seasons, so I brought him along with me.  I had no idea this was a recruiting effort, but at the end of the day I got hired to work the USSSA tournaments in the Denver area, making more money than I did last year and ALWAYS using a two-umpire system (let me tell you, one umpire is LAME).  

We downsized a couple of years ago and over time realized it was a bit small and the garage wouldn't hold our truck. By accident last fall, I found another home with more sf, larger lot and an oversize 2 car garage. Prequalified and successfully bid on it in one day. Painted the interior and after moving in, touched up the smaller home and listed it. We had 3 offers by afternoon and accepted one the next day. The price difference was about the cost of the average new car. We have a few boxes to unpack, a few things to find (!!!!!!!) and I have the garage to organize the way I want, but we're pretty much done. I did realize I'm getting too old to move and renovate like we used to. We've managed to avoid Covid and we get to shoot a few times a month, so it's not all bad.

My family is healthy and happy. All are in good places. My son started a full service lawn care service two years ago and is doing really well. I was truly worried about him spending so much on equipment. Still am, but he's doing well. Seeing him grow and take this so seriously makes me proud!

IMG_20200823_184458041.jpg

13 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I AM impressed. Very good

Trivial. I found a bottle of Jameson Black Barrel. Worth the effort.

Kidney stones?  Been there done that.   Arm Doc in VietNam told us to be prepare for them.  Apparently the water purification system in use tended to encourage them.  Doc said I was fortunate.  Now i knew what it was like to deliver a baby.  Glad I didn't get pregnant when I was young.

Six months ago I got the most amazing pace maker I ever saw (look up Medtronics Micra), about the size of a .22LR cartridge and completely imbedded in my heart.  No external boxes, wires, or other miscellaneous stuff....and it works perfectly.  I do have to wear a medical bracelet so some enthusiastic young EMT doesn't shock me incorrectly and shut me down.

It's been fifteen years since I've felt this good.

And my dog still loves me.  :P  :D

Well, the good news is that I actually got a Christmas bonus at work, the first one in recent memory.

Bad news is some dirtbag sideswiped my car in the parking lot at Walmart last weekend and didn't leave a note, so it's already spent. :(

Murphy's Law #75: An unexpected windfall of money will always be followed by an unexpected expense of the same or greater amount.

May not sound like good news, but docs figured out why I have the tremors and other quirks...Parkinson's....but now it has a name and it is mostly controllable with meds. An my old dog has self trained herself as a service dog. No clue how she knows, but she can sense when tremors are gonna start and will find me and nose me back to the couch and lay on me until they stop. Every time she has done that, she has been right

Also, my late wife and I for years wanted to replace the old windows in our old house. Finally got enough saved, signed the contracts, and this Spring I will have new energy efficent windows that I can open throughout the house.

God is good

10 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Something good? I scored 1000 5.56 rounds from a friend for a good price and a unfired SW Model 10 for a great price plus my sons have scored me 1000 small pistol primers. That’s good!!

It ain't real unless we see pics of that Model 10, Rye! ^_^  

We were able to buy a home by family and sell ours and now are with family and out of Illinois.

Archived