SASS Wire Forum

Ahhhhhhhh..........Lonesome Dove.............Whatta Movie!!!

Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329

The theme came up on my playlist today, sooooooo......I just had to put it on tonight.

Great story, great side stories, great characters, Gus McRea, Woodrow Call, Lorie Darlin'..................

It's got everything.....

Good Guys

Bad Guys

Characters Who will change your life

A Pretty Girl (Very Pretty)

A Cattle Drive

Gun Fights

Fist Fights
Great starting lines

It doesn't get any better than this

I've watched it many-a-time (I could watch it over and over and over, etc.)

Best Western ever made (Not a fair comparison to films, as it's 6 hours long)

One of my favorite quotes..."I hate rude behavior in a man......Won't tolerate it."

One of my favorite scenes:

And Robert DuVall at his best as well.

A story well told!

Ol' #4

21 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Now I need to see that movie. NO, I haven't seen it yet!

If you haven't seen it, I recommend watching Dead Man's Walk first.  I enjoyed it and it will give some backstory to the characters.

I can't remember watching Comanche Moon, but it takes place between Dead Man's Walk and Lonesome Dove.

Just plan to take a whole day and watch each episode back to back.

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Ah, those were the days...when you could pistol-whip a slow bartender.......:P

LL

I think the proper barroom etiquette is to shoot a few holes in the floor at his feet to enliven a slow bartender.  Pistol whipping is reserved for surly bartenders.  :D

Yes, a great movie with many great performances, most of the actors seemed at or above their best for LD.   Though I have watched and own the sequels and prequals, they just always fall short of the first for me.  Lord knows I gots to get another big Walker, it played the silent partner part in the movie and yes I imagine it would make quite a crease across the nose!  Like the movie Old Yeller, that I saw as a kid,  it takes all a man can do to hide the tears and LD manages to draw the ending out from the time Gus lays a dyeing to thet last scene with Woodrow remembering back...   Another favorite for me was Appaloosa, very deserving of the sequel that never happened???     

The movie was great. The book was better. 

Each time I watch Lonesome Dove, when Gus says "Ladies", as his farewell to Lorie and Clara, somehow my tv screen gets blurry. The ladies both know it's the final time they will see Gus. And, the actors do such a truly wonderful job portraying it. Just amazing.....

At the start of the book  they talk about how much sugar Bolivar puts in his coffee. Gus remarked that his droppings were so sugary the shoats had started stalking him. Newt thought it was probably true because they stalked him and his droppings were mostly bean. Just cracked me up! 

the character development in the book was rich. Each of the characters you got to know, and realized that each of them could be “the lonesome dove”. 

My all time favorite movie. 

My wife is a school teacher. Kicked a kid out of class & he got suspended the other kids asked what exactly he did and she told them. “I hate rude behavior … won’t tolerate it”

Interesting fact, Return to Lonesome Dove was the only one that was NOT a book by McMurtyr. Jon Voight was Capt. Call, I thought he did a great job also. Lots of good actors in that, Reese Witherspoon plays the young wife of Gregor Dunnigan but tries seducing Newt Call played by Ricky Schroder. Barbara Hershey is in it too!:wub:

19 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Interesting fact, Return to Lonesome Dove was the only one that was NOT a book by McMurtyr. Jon Voight was Capt. Call, I thought he did a great job also. Lots of good actors in that, Reese Witherspoon plays the young wife of Gregor Dunnigan but tries seducing Newt Call played by Ricky Schroder. Barbara Hershey is in it too!:wub:

I’ll watch anything with Barbara Hershey. She may have been my first crush when she was on The Monroe’s

14 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I read several of the " Lonesome Dove" series. Swore off ever reading another Larry McMurtry book, killed off all the best characters.

If you like to read, read all four, in the proper sequence.  It's a considerable undertaking, but worth every minute.  I've been through all four, first time around in order of publication, second time in order of the story.  It's a Scotch or Bourbon deal, either way both are damned good.  The Lonesome Dove TV mini-series is an absolute masterpiece, the others are OK and worth watching, but merely mortal in comparison.  

I'm sorry to say that I never cared for Lonesome Dove.

This scene ruined it for me.

When all is said and done, they hanged those four men without a trial.  That was wrong and made them no better than the outlaws.  I know that won't be a popular opinion, but this so offends my sense of right an wrong that I can't watch the movie.

H.K. 

You are judging by what , todays standards are. Years ago there was only Black and White . No Grey areas .

If they wouldn.t of caught them . They probably would of kept rite on Killing .

If you wont watch it . You probably don't watch Josey Wales . Unforgiven . Winchester 73 . ETC ,ETC . 

They Hung two .

Jake Spoon giged his Horse.  B .asickly he commited sucide

16 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I'm sorry to say that I never cared for Lonesome Dove.

This scene ruined it for me.

When all is said and done, they hanged those four men without a trial.  That was wrong and made them no better than the outlaws.  I know that won't be a popular opinion, but this so offends my sense of right an wrong that I can't watch the movie.

If you read the book, it kind of goes more in-depth of the thought process. In those days, horse stealing was a hanging offense, as leaving a man horseless was likely going to cost him his life.  The Suggs boys were outlaws. Stoke horses, killed, hung, burned the sodbusters.  Jake went along with it. Mostly due to weak character.  Call couldn’t hang them and let Jake go. 

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with those offenses being capital ones, and I have no opposition to the death penalty.   But I can't get around "No person shall be deprived of life or liberty without due process of law."   And these guys were not afforded any due process.

As the Lone Ranger often said, "That's for the courts to decide."  :)

Even Rooster Cogburn was willing to defer to the judge's discretion.   It was only when the bad guys made it clear that they would not surrender and intended to make a fight of it that he did what he had to do.

My wife's father was a working cowboy in Nevada, in about the mid-30s to mid 60s.
When they were out in the far back&beyond, they used to hang horse/cattle thieves.

He told her (when she was a little girl) that they didn't have any reasonable way to arrest a man & take him in for prosecution.

He said that it was a common practice among working cowboys at that time.

--Dawg

Nice gun rack J-BAR.

I also have a Hat Creek Cattle Company sign.

Never thought of using it as a gun rack -- Great Idea!!

--Dawg

The summary hanging of the outlaws is what they often did back then. The outlaws committed murder back then. We don't like murder but we watch the movie. We don't like rough justice anymore, but that doesn't mean we don't watch the movie. If it in fact happened with men like that, then it can be depicted.

It's like a war movie. Because very bad things happen in war and a movie depicts them is not much of a reason to not watch war movies. If the violence in a movie is, in itself, an obstacle to some watchers, that's a different thing. But any Western is going to involve violence. 

My Dad watched this series. I later asked him how he liked it. He said he like it pretty well....but....

His grandfather was a real cowboy, that helped take herds up the trail, to the rail-head. He knew him well. He said that his grandfather did not discuss "sporting ladies", openly, for he asked him about that. He said the conversations, on the trail, was mostly about horses, or conditions on the trail, or what may be coming up for them, as they worked their way northward. He said events with "sporting ladies" did take place, but it was not discussed openly...or hardly at all.  

He said that his grandfather also told him that a saloon was a place to get a drink; like as not, get something to eat, and talk about current events, and problems, a sort of "clearing house" for information, and to gamble, but there were no such things as "dance-hall girls" at any of the saloons his grandfather went to. Sorry Miss Kitty. 

I have found that the author of this book, that the movie it is based upon, may or may not be pursuing facts, but I presume that is because he wants to entertain the reader, and later, the audience. In one of his books he really misrepresents a real historical character. I have to believe that if an author is making up a character, then he/she can do whatever they wish, but if they refer to a real person, they really should try to present them in a factual light.

No one ever accused holly-wierd, or a novelist, of lots of accuracy (hence all the 1892 Winchesters, and 1873 Colts, we see in all the westerns). But...basically...it is just entertainment, and not everyone had a grandfather that lived in that era, and was an active participant in the real cowboy days. 

I like the series. The characters are out of the ordinary, and not too typical, which is refreshing. 

I would really hate to carry my almost 5 pound Walker (when loaded) in a holster, on my waist, like Gus did. I'd love to hear a real old-time cowboy

comment on that.

Comin from a native born Texan, It’s a fantastic movie. And the series that came after with Newt was purty good too, loved the scenery. Like I tell my two young boys, you gotta consider the times. Heck, in 100 years people will say things were doing now were horrible and unlawful. 

9 hours ago, Texas Shane said:

Comin from a native born Texan, It’s a fantastic movie. And the series that came after with Newt was purty good too, loved the scenery. Like I tell my two young boys, you gotta consider the times. Heck, in 100 years people will say things were doing now were horrible and unlawful. 

Lonesome Dove The Series and then Lonesome Dove The Outlaw years. I liked that one better. In the first his wife dies and Newt takes off and comes back as a hard nosed bounty hunter! Great series!

Archived