SASS Wire Forum

Loading APP powder

Make do

Question - do you tamp down this substitute black powder - I noticed if I took a rod and lightly let the weight of the Al rod bounce on the powder a couple of times ( like I do with a muzzle loader and the loading rod) that the level dropped at least 1/4 inch - should you take that into account on your seating depth or just figure the depth based on the powder sitting loosely in the case? The loading instructions seem firm on no air space and min compression. Thanks

The loading directions state that APP should NOT be compressed when loaded in cartridges.

Cartridge Performance

General loading instructions are to fill the case with our loose powder just to the point where the base of the bullet will very slightly compress the powder, about 1/16", when it is seated. NO FURTHER COMPRESSION is recommended or advisable and will result in increase pressures and erratic velocities! It is important that no air space or gap be left when the bullet is seated, and the use of fillers is not recommended for general cartridge shooting, but is often required and acceptable for achieving the lower velocities desired in Cowboy Action Shooting. The filler should be composed of an acceptable material as recommended by the Single Action Shooting Society. No grease cookie or lube wad is needed, and the use of one will lower the performance. Regular bullet lube is fine - no special bullet lube is required. A good consistent crimp will help give consistent results.

Any progressive loader, powder measurer, and/or an electronic powder dispenser that is safe to use with smokeless powder can be utilized when loading our powders, however, it should be appreciated as with any gun powder (a flammable product) it is imperative that conventional safety precautions be followed.  These precautions would include, but not be limited to, making sure that the progressive loader, powder measurer, and/or electronic powder dispenser is properly grounded, in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, so that any electrical charge that builds up during the measuring and/or loading process is discharged to the ground source to avoid accidental discharge into the flammable powder product.

Sedalia Dave gave you the answer. When not using a full case of powder (in 44-40 and 45 Colt) I use walnut lizard bedding for the filler and compress a 1/16" when I seat the bullet.

Oh Golly Gee Whiz  :rolleyes:   Here I are, the undisputed Champion for APP.  Undisputed Champ and everybody else has already put up the bestest answers.  All I can do is Pile On.

NO.  Don't compress APP.  Fill the case to the base of the bullet and crimp.  DONE.  When shooting reduced loads I personally like Cream-0-Wheat for filler.  Doesn't compress so it eliminates the air space.  Easy to clean up.  My only gripe, 2f APP does NOT METER well thru a powder measure.  3f does just fine.  So I have reserved my 2f for Shotgun.  Works a treat. 

What I used for my cartridge loads with all the subs was put the desired  powder charge in, measure depth remaining in case and cut my soft soft wad/filler combo plugs to equal thet depth.  The amount of compression is equal to how deep you seat the lead on top BUT this compression is negligible due to my filler material.  It has been a long time since being able to shoot BUT my .44/.45 loads always consisted of 24 to 26grs of FF or sub under the filler.  For my fillers I used a product called backer rod caulking, available in several diameters.  This made for an easy quick clean round to create and the subs seem to make enough of a lub to keep things going for a short spell, a slight shot of Ballistol works for when things seemed dryer than comfortable.    I jury rigged a craft store tool into a perfect cutter for quickly chopping the backer rod into correct lengths to use for my reloads.  By the way, CC, you used to fuss at me for using the subs!!!!

PS:  On a couple of occasions I did have other BP shooters voice a concern that the backer rod material might evaporate so quickly on firing that it might create am effect similar to using an uncompressed load of bp.  So be forewarned if you decide to experiment your on your own???? 

6 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

...  On a couple of occasions I did have other BP shooters voice a concern that the backer rod material might evaporate so quickly on firing that it might create am effect similar to using an uncompressed load of bp.  So be forewarned if you decide to experiment your on your own???? 

Howdy Bob,

Capt. George Baylor used to use the caulk backer rod for filler a lot, don't recall if it was with 777 or APP or both.  He wrote some articles about it in the chronicle, maybe still on his website as well.

16 hours ago, Palmetto Traveller said:

+1 for what CC said. Besides that's the ONLY good use I've found for Cream of Wheat.

Nothing like the smell of breakfast cooking at the range!

Kajun

Archived