SASS Wire Forum

Another Brief Ammo Report

I dropped by Bass Pro around 2 pm today on one of my occassional 'fishing expeditions' to see if they had ammo.

My timing was good, as there was a line of about 15 people waiting for some ammo to be rolled out per what they'd been told at the store. Waited about 15 minutes and they brought out one of those steel roller shelves with handgun ammo. They had good quantities of 45 acp, 9 mm, 38 spl, 357 mag, 40 s&w, and .22lr (those in 325 boxes). There were a couple of other calibers, too.

By 'good quantities' I mean enough for the 25 people or so who had gathered, anyway, and probably a fair bit more. Limit 5 boxes, total (regardless of caliber). Ordinary retail prices; i.e. standard pre-shortage pricing. I appreciate that policy of Bass's.

They said some rifle ammo would be brought out, too, but I didn't wait, not needing any. I bought 3 boxes of .38 spl and one of the .22lr. I'm just keeping  my supplies 'topped up' as I go to the range a few times per month.

So far I've stumbled into ammo three times over the last couple of months at Bass; my visits are totally random and one to two (at the most) times per week. Mfrs included Federal, Winchester, and Herters.

Bass Pro is a 2 hour adventure for me.
I get up there when there is a sale on trap shells, then buy as many cases (3) as they allow.
Take a ticket, have a birthday or anniversary, then you get to the counter.

Then you fill out the DROS, pay the background check, wait for the rolling cage, sign the log book and finally get to leave with your ammo.
I did get a smokin' deal on three cases of STS... didn't look for 22LR (stupid me), and never buy factory centerfires.

Having to pay a background check to buy ammo, I would find extremely irritating. Especially with a limit on how much you can buy. How bad do they bag you for the background check?

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Having to pay a background check to buy ammo, I would find extremely irritating. Especially with a limit on how much you can buy. How bad do they bag you for the background check?

It's SUPER irritating. If you're already "in the system" it's $1 and if you're not, $19. If you've moved and haven't bought a new gun at that address yet but use your up to date CCW with the new address, you get denied on the background check and leave without ammo but with delusions of running for political office to unseat the current crop of idiots. 

I was no aware they had background checks for ammunition, but I am not surprised it is in California. I wonder what other states have that?

Here, the store can limit you on the amount of ammunition you can purchase, but unless you are wearing diapers, there is no restrictions, and no background checks. If you have a license to carry, you don't have a background check for the purchase of a firearm, obviously, since it has already been done by the State of Texas, and you are not restricted on how may firearms you purchase per month. Many times I have bought three firearms at a shop, and would have bought more, but I ran out of money. 

I am so very sorry you Pards have to endure that, out there. Perhaps, someday, this country will flush the toilet of the leftist governments, and restore some common sense....if, indeed, it has ever been that way, outside of wishful thinking. We just can't quit, or give in, no matter how bleak it looks right now. 

The eternal choice of mortal men....to endure oppression, or to resist. 

I vote to resist.

W.K.

Cabelas is doing the same as Bass Pro (granted they are the same company now).  The prices gone up, but not drastically and that's probably just a function of Bass Pro & Cabelas having to pay more for the ammo from either the distributor or the factory.

Don't know if that is Bass Pro/Cabelas trying to do the right thing for their customers or their supplier(s) is unwilling to piss of a corporation that buys millions, if not tens of millions of rounds a year.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The last time I managed to score ammo at Cabelas was early on a weekday when I happened to have the day off. If you work 9-5 M-F and have weekends off like most people you'll never be there when they get their ammo in.

True enough probably. I don't even try on the weekends. I'm retired and there is a Bass in my town, so for me it's easy. Also, for me it's no pressure because I have a lot in supply and am just checking in to keep the inventory from depletion. If I don't find any, no worries.

But they are making it. Yesterday was the first time I got there and there was a line and ultimately a small crowd. I believe they put up a sign on the floor that some was coming out.

13 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I was no aware they had background checks for ammunition, but I am not surprised it is in California. I wonder what other states have that?

Here, the store can limit you on the amount of ammunition you can purchase, but unless you are wearing diapers, there is no restrictions, and no background checks. If you have a license to carry, you don't have a background check for the purchase of a firearm, obviously, since it has already been done by the State of Texas, and you are not restricted on how may firearms you purchase per month. Many times I have bought three firearms at a shop, and would have bought more, but I ran out of money. 

I am so very sorry you Pards have to endure that, out there. Perhaps, someday, this country will flush the toilet of the leftist governments, and restore some common sense....if, indeed, it has ever been that way, outside of wishful thinking. We just can't quit, or give in, no matter how bleak it looks right now. 

The eternal choice of mortal men....to endure oppression, or to resist. 

I vote to resist.

W.K.

Nebraska is the same way. We can literally back the truck up to the gun shop door and say, "Fill 'er up!"

A very quick and superficial online search indicates that only California requires a background check on ammo purchases, though NY also has such a law that has never been implemented. There have been and are ongoing efforts in many states, though, to require such checks.

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

But they are making it. Yesterday was the first time I got there and there was a line and ultimately a small crowd. I believe they put up a sign on the floor that some was coming out.

All the major US ammunition manufacturers have stated that their output in 2020 was 30% more than previous years. More ammo is being made or imported now than ever. The fact that hardly any of us can even find it tells you just how insane the demand is right now.

In Illinois you must possess a Firearm Owner Identification card [FOID] to purchase ammunition or even to handle a firearm in a store.

On 1/25/2021 at 8:26 PM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Is there an ammo background check anywhere besides California? Just curious. That would be annoying in the extreme...

No background check yet, but Connecticut and some other states require a person to have a permit to purchase ammo.

For CT there are three permits:  The ammo permit which allows you to buy ammo;  a long gun permit which allows you to purchase long guns and ammo and a handgun permit which allows you buy handguns, carry them almost anywhere in the state*, buy long guns and buy ammo.

*Courts, government buildings, airports, state forests do not allow the carry of a firearm

21 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

You need a FOID to poichuse there?

Yup

I stopped by my LGS on the way home from the dentist last night.

The powder and primer shelves were entirely bare..
Had a sign posted, "Hold on to your hats.  This chronic shortage won't improve until 2022."

Mostly has reached it's peak, but still going to take time to catch up...........that's not taking into consideration any additional events that may re-fuel the demand such as new gun control legislation or executive orders.........or social unrest.........or major economic problems.

On 1/25/2021 at 9:27 PM, Tall Tale Todd said:

It's SUPER irritating. If you're already "in the system" it's $1 and if you're not, $19. If you've moved and haven't bought a new gun at that address yet but use your up to date CCW with the new address, you get denied on the background check and leave without ammo but with delusions of running for political office to unseat the current crop of idiots. 

...not to mention that you need to have the "real" ID or DL(federally compliant ID/DL)or a valid passport for the background check---just to buy ammo. :angry:

DB:FlagAm:

On 1/27/2021 at 7:03 AM, Chantry said:

No background check yet, but Connecticut and some other states require a person to have a permit to purchase ammo.

For CT there are three permits:  The ammo permit which allows you to buy ammo;  a long gun permit which allows you to purchase long guns and ammo and a handgun permit which allows you buy handguns, carry them almost anywhere in the state*, buy long guns and buy ammo.

*Courts, government buildings, airports, state forests do not allow the carry of a firearm

Since you need a permit in CT just to exercise your Second Amendment rights, do the liberals need a permit as well to open their stupid mouths?

A Muzzle and a Mask should be standard equipment for a Liberal to be let out anywhere in Public .... Add a handler with an Electric Cattle Prod if they are speaking to the Media .... A auto Shock Collar that triggers each time they lie would be fun to watch, but would be very hard on battery life ...

Jabez Cowboy

7 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Since you need a permit in CT just to exercise your Second Amendment rights, do the liberals need a permit as well to open their stupid mouths?

Nope

Archived