SASS Wire Forum

Buy American

Tom Bullweed

I am mostly for Buy American.  I buy only Cooper or Goodyear totes and only New Balance sneakers made in the USA.

Does Biden's Buy American mean that LE is gonna buy S&W, Ruger and such instead of Glock, Sig and H&K?

I buy American, when I can, and I do not mind paying more for it. I buy my blue jeans from a company in El Paso. The cost more, but I don't care.

I don't mind too bad, to buy from our allies...which are few and far between. They stock some really good Irish butter at our local-yokel food store, and of course, my clones are from Italy. I had a clone from chinee, but It is now a boat anchor.   

I am not interested in buying anything from china, or vietnam, or any non-republic, or terrorist state. Yep, I do read labels.

Howdy,

The crazy thing is how interwoven items can be.

Parts made in US for subsections made in Germany 

going into a car assembled in Japan with final work in Illinois.

I can drive ya nuts pard. It sure can.

Best

CR

You should hear the stories about shotguns those lever shotguns.

What a total pain he put up with.

Best

CR

15 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I am mostly for Buy American.  I buy only Cooper or Goodyear totes and only New Balance sneakers made in the USA.

Does Biden's Buy American mean that LE is gonna buy S&W, Ruger and such instead of Glock, Sig and H&K?

My umpire plate shoes and base shoes are both New Balance.  I don't know if you've ever taken a 90 mpg foul ball to your toe, but those plate shoes are GREAT!

There isn't a single car/truck in America that is 100% American made. Parts come from all over.

We used to be No.1 in manufacturing electronics and appliances. Name anything like that made in America.

I try yo buy from local small businesses when I can. But I don't pay attention to who made it. Otherwise I'd be going wihtout 90% pf what I'm used to living with.

10 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I buy American, when I can, and I do not mind paying more for it. I buy my blue jeans from a company in El Paso. The cost more, but I don't care.

I don't mind too bad, to buy from our allies...which are few and far between. They stock some really good Irish butter at our local-yokel food store, and of course, my clones are from Italy. I had a clone from chinee, but It is now a boat anchor.   

I am not interested in buying anything from china, or vietnam, or any non-republic, or terrorist state. Yep, I do read labels.

Kerry Gold butter is the best.  It's all I buy any more.

We had to replace all of our GE Profile kitchen appliances. JUNK! They are all Samsung now except for the DW, which is Bosch. I have Samsung W&D on order.

All of our TVs are Samsung too. I just Googled and found the following:

"NEWBERRY, S.C. – Today, Samsung Electronics America announced the start of commercial production at its first U.S. based home appliance manufacturing facility in Newberry County, South Carolina. ... Samsung plans to produce one million washing machines at the Newberry County facility in 2018.

When I had my '99 Dodge diesel 3/4 ton pickup, it was made in Mexico (the Cummins diesel engine was made in the U.S.).

Since then the Toyota Tundra, is made in San Antonio. The Toyota is more American made than my Dodge was.

I do like it that things are made here, and there are jobs here, because of it. It is easier for me to swallow if there is a plant here, that makes a product.

Take Sig for instance...made here in the U.S. of A., but was an import not too many years ago. 

Let's import the raw materials,. if we are not able to get them domestically, and then have a manufacturing plant here.

Perhaps economics have dictated it is cheaper to have a factory in the U.S., rather than import the whole product. I am sure money is the prime motivator, and making a profit...and doing the right thing takes a back seat.  

I don't know...just surmising. 

America first!!!!....regardless of what any hack political party/ignorant politician says.  

7 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Kerry Gold butter is the best.  It's all I buy any more.

I found, and bought some Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter, at the local-yokel grocery store, yesterday. I usually buy Falfurrias butter, that has been made in Texas since 1909, but I thought I'd give the Irish butter a whirl, as an ingredient in, and later on, my scratch buttermilk biscuits that I make. My spouse went on a vacation, with a bunch of other teachers, several years ago, and they visited Ireland. My wife was a Jamison, and she is as Irish as paddy's pig, and just loved the people, and the country-side. She said they loved to hear her "Texas accent", and of course, she loved their Irish accent. She said it felt like home to her, on some subconscious level. I told her, that perhaps, just perhaps, we may get not only physical characteristics passed down through the genes, but maybe, on some level, we may get memories as well. Anyway, thanks for the tip on the Kerry Gold butter. I'll be making some biscuits in a couple of days, and I can't wait to use it. 

Yer Ole Saddle Pal.

W.K.

8 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

There isn't a single car/truck in America that is 100% American made. Parts come from all over.

We used to be No.1 in manufacturing electronics and appliances. Name anything like that made in America.

I try yo buy from local small businesses when I can. But I don't pay attention to who made it. Otherwise I'd be going wihtout 90% pf what I'm used to living with.

Many years ago my insurance agent berated me for buying a Toyota pickup because it wasn't American.  I told her to check her Chevy against my Toyota to see which was most American.  She found that most of her car was made in Mexico and most of mine was made in Texas and Tennessee.

On 1/25/2021 at 7:01 PM, bgavin said:

Turn in your phones, tablets, computers, TVs, and 40% of your medical equipment.
None are made here.

Someone pointed out to me that it's better to buy Japanese, Taiwanese or other countries rather than China! I never thought of that!! Good point. So if you can't buy American buy anywhere but China!

This is from 2012 - What percentage  of your truck is American Made? https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/03/what-percentage-of-your-truck-is-made-in-america.html

http://blogs.cars.com/.a/6a00d83451b3c669e201630245a4d0970d-800wi

In 2020 GM beat out all the others for most American Made...Honda came  in second :blink: This is  for all cars, not just trucks...almost made a boo-boo: https://www.motorbiscuit.com/what-is-the-most-american-made-vehicle-here-are-the-2020-rankings/

I’ve had plenty of discussions about “buying American” since Mrs. Doc bought me a Tundra years ago. Some civil, some contentious. Like others, I had to show that the year my truck was made, it was more “American” than the big three. So then the argument became “Well, the profit goes back to Japan.” I’m not exaggerating when I say I’ve had a couple of people tell me to perform anatomically impossible acts when I pointed out not only paychecks stay here, but Toyota is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange.

As for me, I buy American if practical and practicable. I don’t mind paying a bit more to do so. I don’t get overly frustrated when I can’t, though. Except for tools. For some reason buying a Chinese made tool bugs the daylights out of me.

On 1/26/2021 at 8:20 AM, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

My umpire plate shoes and base shoes are both New Balance.  I don't know if you've ever taken a 90 mpg foul ball to your toe, but those plate shoes are GREAT!

The New Balance website also states that one of their brands of shoes are...P.F. Flyers!!! I remember my mom buying that brand for me, back in the 50's!, I thought that brand was long gone. Brings back a lot of memories, for sure. 

Nikon is closing down their Japanese manufacturing and moving it all to Thailand.
Much of their equipment is already being made there...
The trade rags are saying the camera makers are only selling 8~10% of what they did the previous year.
Nikon is in trouble, for certain.

I have two Sigma ART lenses, both made in Japan.
The difference in quality between these metal jewels and the plastic Nikon lenses is quite obvious.
The Sigma are every bit as nice as my top quality Nikon Pro (AiS) film lenses from the '80s (made in Japan).

I wonder if the Chinese have an interest in Uberti, and if all the cowboy shooters would sell their Ubertis if this is the case.
I fully understand the concept of selective buying, but I also understand the concept of trying to drain the Atlantic with a tea spoon.
I'm in the computer business... I would have zero work if I stopped buying Chinese made computers and parts.

5 hours ago, DocWard said:

I’ve had plenty of discussions about “buying American” since Mrs. Doc bought me a Tundra years ago. Some civil, some contentious. Like others, I had to show that the year my truck was made, it was more “American” than the big three. So then the argument became “Well, the profit goes back to Japan.” I’m not exaggerating when I say I’ve had a couple of people tell me to perform anatomically impossible acts when I pointed out not only paychecks stay here, but Toyota is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange.

As for me, I buy American if practical and practicable. I don’t mind paying a bit more to do so. I don’t get overly frustrated when I can’t, though. Except for tools. For some reason buying a Chinese made tool bugs the daylights out of me.

Got that same guff regarding my Kawasaki's. I responded with "I own 3 Chevy's...by the way where is your phone made? Where is your watch made? What percentage of your American made truck is made in the USA? What percentage of your Harley is made in the USA?" There is usually some babbling and it usually ends with "(screw) You!" But it ends...and is not spoken of  again....because they go find out.

On 1/25/2021 at 2:59 PM, Tom Bullweed said:

Just FYI SIG-Sauer is pretty much an American company now. Strict German laws essentially ran them out of business back home and the USA facility is their new headquarters.

Archived