SASS Wire Forum

Overheard in the gun store today..,

I was at my local gun store today picking up a new shotgun from out of state.

Two women walked in, one asking the man behind the counter which 9 mm she should get for home defense and carry. The clerk said he would be with them in a minute after he finished my paperwork, during which I could not help but overhear them talking.

One woman, who obviously had some experience at these decisions, was trying to convince her friend to look into a J frame.  (I am not here to reignite the classic debate, but the woman was giving sound advice which those of us who like J frames would give.)

The woman who wanted to buy the 9 mm was looking through the case and making her selections based upon, of all things, the color of the grips and frame.  The friend and I made eye contact and I offered my two cents worth in favor of J frames, while also listing the salient characteristics of a 9 mm. Color was not among them.

I hope she found what she was seeking.

edit:  Please do not get me wrong. I love beautiful guns as much as the next person. It just should not be the main criteria for the tool you bet your life on.

Sadly my oldest daughter is the same.  If she has no choice and goes in a gun store with me , she looks with disdain at all guns UNLESS they are purple like the sig 938 with reflective purple slide or have a purple grip like a ruger semi auto.  Drives me nuts.  She knows better.   

Meanwhile I went to buy my mom a hogue grip for her j frame and she could xare less about the color of the grip but all midway had for hers was purple so purple it is.

My wife likes colorful guns. Some folks, men and women, like colorful guns. If it draws more shooters into the sport I am all for it.

12 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

My ex hated all of my guns except for my Uberti 1866 Yellowboy. She thought it was purdy and really liked it. I guess had a bad guy broken in that would've been her first pick, over all the .380s and 9mms in my collection. :rolleyes:

I mean, you can’t fault her for taste.

Sawmill Mary and I are frequent shoppers at several gunshops that know what to show us.  But if we're in a shop that doesn't know us,  they well start to push "girly" pink and Tiffany blue guns in front of her.  She's use to it but it still bugs her.  She likes wood and steel, brass nickel plated. 

This discussion on colorful guns.

I too have been in the stores when a woman would be looking at colorful guns.

all would get the job done but I had to ask, WHY?

The answers made me step back and think about it.

1. I like the look of colorful guns.

2. The bad guy may stop for just a moment after seeing such color pointed at them giving me a second or two advantage during the critical moment.

--------------------

My choice is a stainless semi auto with hopes the bad guy sees the bright stainless and chooses to understand I mean business and decides to retreat.

That’s really no worse than the “tacti-cool” guys wanting lightening cuts and fancy Cerakoted bits and pieces on their guns. 

I watched a guy as he was picking up his Glock 34 start buying all the red anodized parts he could get for it without even firing it to see how it shot. 

My wife hates blue, purple, pink etc guns. Everytime I show her one in a magazine she rolls her eyes and makes a gagging noise. And she’s not really a shooter.

Yesterday I was watching one of Tim's (aka Military Arms Channel) videos. In it he was using a hot pink Uplula mag loader. Knowing what people were probably going to think, he mentioned that he uses a pink one because it's the only one he's had that hasn't somehow walked away on its own.

I have hot pink luggage for the same reason:  Nobody in his right mind will try to steal it and I can spot it all the way across the airport.

Duffield

5 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Yesterday I was watching one of Tim's (aka Military Arms Channel) videos. In it he was using a hot pink Uplula mag loader. Knowing what people were probably going to think, he mentioned that he uses a pink one because it's the only one he's had that hasn't somehow walked away on its own.

Pink is good. Ain't many who would steal a puppy diaper bag. Yes, this is my range bag.

778931626_ScreenShot2021-01-25at5_43_40PM.thumb.png.ffbba0f11a67140c40f2e60bf343b8f1.png

The pink sure does not hurt.

Don't WE ALL look and favor certain colors on our guns?

Even many Cowboy shooters pay extra for certain grips, fancy grips, white grips, real and/or fake ivory grips, etc.....

Most of my guns are black in color, with some of them 2-tone black/stainless.

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Pink guns shoot more accurately. :wacko:

ed7187120d4163e8b0ccf5ac02837d55.jpg

I saw a gal with a AR almost like that at the range last Thursday. She was shooting it pretty well from what I saw.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

My wife hates blue, purple, pink etc guns. Everytime I show her one in a magazine she rolls her eyes and makes a gagging noise. And she’s not really a shooter.

That's because those colors, especially pink, ruin a gun.:lol:

50% of the population is below average intelligence, but some of them want to buy firearms.

Bless them.  As long as they follow the 4 safety rules, cool. 

Howdy,

I got tired of fellas claiming my brass 223 was theirs.

I stopped by the local art shop and bought a pink paint stick..

I swiped that stick across the end of all my mini 14 223 ammo.

Spotted the pink stripe and did right well at keeping shells.

Mini throws brass like no other gun. Six tables down, easy.

Best

CR

30 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I got tired of fellas claiming my brass 223 was theirs.

I stopped by the local art shop and bought a pink paint stick..

I swiped that stick across the end of all my mini 14 223 ammo.

Spotted the pink stripe and did right well at keeping shells.

Mini throws brass like no other gun. Six tables down, easy.

Best

CR

Buy or make a brass catcher. You get your brass and the shooters next to you don't have to put up with getting pelted by hot brass. They'll also stop cursing you while you are shooting.

Universal Brass Catcher

What I usually overhear in gun stores is; "Does this Glock make me look fat?" Followed by a deadly pause. Hence the Glock slimline series of pistols in an effort to save lives and ensure domestic tranquility. 

Howdy,

I did get a plastic catcher thing.

Worked ok. Sometimes caused a jam when shell bounced

back in.  

The range now has movable deflectors. Cheap simple nice.

Best

CR

If a lady wants a pink or purple or blue gun so be it! I encourage all NEW shooters regardless of gender and color preference! We need all the gun owners we can get! Rock on with those pink pistols!!:)

3 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I did get a plastic catcher thing.

Worked ok. Sometimes caused a jam when shell bounced

back in.  

The range now has movable deflectors. Cheap simple nice.

Best

CR

If shooting from a bench, I just put a cardboard box on the right hand side of me, with the opening facing me and a couple boxes of live ammo in the bottom to hold it in place.

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

:wub: these grips. I got them free on the Classifieds from Filthy Lucre, who said they made his eyeballs bleed.

DSC00262.JPG

Gotta do something with them old bowling balls......just kiddin ya Allie.B)

Archived