SASS Wire Forum

Cleaning APP and Black MZ

Ringer

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

I actually bought a jug of Ballistol.  It was on sale and I figured I'd use it if I ran out of water. 

Ballistol by its self doesn't do a very good job. However when mixed with hot water it works very well.

I personally don't like Ballistol for anything.  Well, it's ok to soften stiff boots.  Most concoctions are just not all that effective.  Windex with Vinegar just isn't good for Blue'd guns.  Best basic and most effective cleaner for BP and Subs is . . . . TA DA !!  Just Water.  Warm water is slightly better.  I use plain water for my hand guns.  My other Go-To is PAM.  Hydrogen Peroxide, Alcohol and Murphy's Oil Soap.  PAM works super well for Shotgun Barrels and Rifle Barrels.  No matter the cleaner, when yer all done, Oil the gun.  "Oil". No mixes.  Just good non-petroleum base oil.

By the by, for cleaning brass cartridges, soak in warm water and White Vinegar for 20 minutes, rinse, dry and Done.  Want 'em some shiny??  Tumble in Lizard Litter for 45 Minutes.

I'll add that when I use boiling water, it heats the gun up so that the water evaporates very quickly.  Then just a light lube.

Caution - boiling water will heat the gun/barrels up to where you need a good glove or pot holder to hold it.

Archived