SASS Wire Forum

Cleaning APP and Black MZ

Ringer

I use Black MZ in SG.  Cleanup - soak the barrels with Windex followed by Breakfree. 

I use APP in cartridges and my cap & ball. Cleanup is soapy water followed by Breakfree. 

Take care, 

BS

The "Secret Recipe" for Dawge Wizz is equal parts of rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide and Murphys Oil Soap.... water is optional.

I keep some in a spray bottle in my Gun Cart..... Been using it over 20 years, Best BP or sub cleaner I've ever tried.

1 minute ago, Barry Sloe said:

I use Black MZ in SG.  Cleanup - soak the barrels with Windex followed by Breakfree. 

I use APP in cartridges and my cap & ball. Cleanup is soapy water followed by Breakfree. 

Take care, 

BS

Ditto on all my guns with APP.

Windex and follow with CLP.

Every so often a sinkfull of hot water with Dawn, and a good solid spraydown with CLP and air dry....

Water works but I use some of the above solutions.  Be sure to rinse your brass well as these subs will corrode brass leaving a dark brown tarnish.

I brush out the bore and chambers in the kitchen sink under a light stream of hot water.  Then go around the inside of the cylinder opening with a brass brush.  I dry and set aside for awhile. Brush and patch again.   Then coat with Bore Butter.  

35 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Water works but I use some of the above solutions.  Be sure to rinse your brass well as these subs will corrode brass leaving a dark brown tarnish.

I found that putting brass in super hot water and a dishwater tab over night really gets those BP casings clean! Then a good tumble after drying...they shine!!!

It really is preference.

With Windex, make sure it is plain Windex 'original' and name brand. 

Others leave a semi-sticky film.

I also feel the Murphy mixes do as well, that is my perspective.

The biggest thing is to use something to dispurse moisture and lube/oil after.

Even if it's just WD40.

(Always heard to stay away from alchahol on firearms)

9 minutes ago, Not Dead Ed said:

Anyone use ballistol and water “moose milk”?  

I just started using it on my muzzleloader at the end of the season. Seems to work pretty well. I'm using real BP however.

1 hour ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

The "Secret Recipe" for Dawge Wizz is equal parts of rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide and Murphys Oil Soap.... water is optional.

I keep some in a spray bottle in my Gun Cart..... Been using it over 20 years, Best BP or sub cleaner I've ever tried.

Does it affect the bluing at all

3 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Does it affect the bluing at all

I've used it with no affect on bluing that I could see. Used on my C&B pistols, rifle, & muzzleloader. Always used Windex w/vinegar on the SG.

2 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I've used it with no affect on bluing that I could see. Used on my C&B pistols, rifle, & muzzleloader. Always used Windex w/vinegar on the SG.

Just curious. I used windex with vinegar on a pair of ROA’s and must have not wiped it off the cylinders fast enough. It took the bluing partially off

I've shot BP, Pyrodex, 777, Black MZ in various firearms and I always used either plain water or Moose Milk for all of them, followed by a decent rust preventative.  Ballistol is my current favorite.  Bore Butter as a final coating always resulted in a thin coat of rust, so I don't use that for anything.

My traditional muzzleloader round ball rifles I still use human spit for patch lube.

Just now, doc roy l. pain said:

Just curious. I used windex with vinegar on a pair of ROA’s and must have not wiped it off the cylinders fast enough. It took the bluing partially off

I must admit I've heard that as well. So I just wipe any off that gets on the bluing of the SG. I don't think it sits long enough on the pistols to be a problem. Not sure however. I just haven't seen an issue. Hopefully  someone with more experience will chime in.

2 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Yes, great stuff. Lou Graham turned me on to that mix, and it works like a charm.

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I brush out the bore and chambers in the kitchen sink under a light stream of hot water.  Then go around the inside of the cylinder opening with a brass brush.  I dry and set aside for awhile. Brush and patch again.   Then coat with Bore Butter.  

I’m with Warden on this one. Water for bores, hot soapy water for the rest.  Rifle and pistols get bronze brushed then dry patch, end with either BB or Ballistol (depending on time of year).  SG is just rinse, dry and lube the barrels.  I’ve tried the mixes they work well, the only thing I didn’t like on shooting day was the Murphy’s left the guns feeling slippery to me.  YMMV

24 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I never aquired a smell for Ballistol.

Also feel it leaves a sticky film...but thats me.

To me, Ballistol has a slight reminder of licorice.  I think I am a "supertaster" (more taste buds than usual, makes for some things tasting/smelling more foul than usual).  Ballistol actually takes my breath away.  But I keep using it because it works so well for various things.  I absolutely must have a fan blowing a cross-breeze if I am using it in the house.  As for a sticky film, I haven't noticed that on guns, and it leaves your fingers very soft!  It is also very good for wood, but don't get on the poly finish that most grips have or it will be very slippery when wet.

24 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

To me, Ballistol has a slight reminder of licorice.  I think I am a "supertaster" (more taste buds than usual, makes for some things tasting/smelling more foul than usual).  Ballistol actually takes my breath away.  But I keep using it because it works so well for various things.  I absolutely must have a fan blowing a cross-breeze if I am using it in the house.  As for a sticky film, I haven't noticed that on guns, and it leaves your fingers very soft!  It is also very good for wood, but don't get on the poly finish that most grips have or it will be very slippery when wet.

Right?

That and Hoppes #9!!

Maybe sticky isn't the correct word...but I do feel it.

I do strip my grips off and of course remove my shotty barrels.

My rifle hasn't been 'taken down' in a long time...just swabs and cycling...

Of course we only shoot average of once monthly.

CLP can leave a slippery coat too...but I tend to keep a wipe rag...and love hand chalk, even if not shooting duelist!

35 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

... I think I am a "supertaster" (more taste buds than usual, makes for some things tasting/smelling more foul than usual).  Ballistol actually takes my breath away. ..

I'm the opposite; I never really notice the smell of Ballistol.

2 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Vinegar removes bluing very quickly as you have proven again.  Plain Windex is probably ok but not any better than hot soapy water.  Hope you can repair the bluing with quick blue on a Q-Tip, otherwise you can just tell folks you customized your guns.  

Don’t let mayonnaise from your sandwich drip on your guns;  it contains vinegar too!

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Hate the smell of Ballistol, but love Hoppes #9 (I thought everybody loved that. :) )

If I'd known how much men like that smell, I could have saved so much money!!!

Cost of Chanell #5 and Hoppes #9 is considerable:wub:

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Vinegar removes bluing very quickly as you have proven again.  Plain Windex is probably ok but not any better than hot soapy water.  Hope you can repair the bluing with quick blue on a Q-Tip, otherwise you can just tell folks you customized your guns.  

Don’t let mayonnaise from your sandwich drip on your guns;  it contains vinegar too!

I actually like it. Gives them a nice aged look!

32 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

If I'd known how much men like that smell, I could have saved so much money!!!

Cost of Chanell #5 and Hoppes #9 is considerable:wub:

You betcha,  combine Hoppes#9, leather, campfire, and gunpowder and the guys’ll be running your way!   

3 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

I lived in SE Texas not far from the Gulf and with the humidity there I can watch thing rust. I shoot BP almost exclusively for CAS and one of my guns is an original 92 made in 1895. At the range, I use a 10 to 1 mix of Balistol and water in a spray bottle to keep thing loose in all my guns and when I`m through for the day I spray them all inside and out one last time because sometimes I don`t get around to cleaning for several days. All this does is keep the fouling loose and oily until I can clean the guns.

When it`s time to clean I use two primary products that are readily available. I use Windex Multi-Surface Cleaner with Vinegar.  I don't use it straight. I mix this half and half with water . This is the clear Windex but regular Windex will work if you add a table spoon of vinegar.

The vinegar is important because it is slightly acidic and helps neutralize the salts in the BP.

Next you flush with hot water. This is how you nuetralize the vinegar.  Never the other way round. Vinegar on hot parts will remove the bluing. 

I have tried some of the other methodes that don't use the neutralizing agent such as vinegar and they do OK for short term storeage but eventually the left-over salts will cause rust.

Next is flushing the moisture out     Frirst, not all brake parts cleaners are the same. Some are harsh enough to damage plastic parts and finishes. If you aren't certain the product is safe then just purchase Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe Cleaner. I have never experience damage to any gun parts or finish using it. 

89a9fcb8-f122-4898-befa-18c10ee0eea5_1.4dcab9a556a44194cbcf32b464fc899a.jpeg?odnWidth=612&odnHeight=612&odnBg=ffffff

For that reason, many years ago I contacted a manufacturer of a brake parts cleaning product sold by Autozone and ask them how it compared to the B-C Gunscrub. Comparing the ingredients they told me it was the same thing as their non-chlorinated Brake parts cleaner. This product made by Albany Brake parts company, packaged in Lafayette La. was sold at  store. But, since that time Autozone has it packaged with their name on it. I buy this stuff by the case to use on my customers guns.

bpc.jpg.b8d5ac14ac24ce0caf8090ce0ab0f2de.jpg
A word of caution, I don't use Carb cleaners. Some Carburetor cleaners are caustic. They can be too harsh on wood finishes and plastic parts. 

38 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

I actually like it. Gives them a nice aged look!

I am the original "gun ruiner", having antiqued several pairs of revolvers.  Surely you have seen my "ruined" ROAs, but if not, I will post them again!  :lol:

Archived