SASS Wire Forum

Stock Trends

Snake River Clay

Do you mean having someone manage your IRA for you or discussing index funds like S&P 500 vs short term options?

I had a financial advisor as a pilot in my unit that owned his own small office and he would say 72% of the time we would be better off in the S&P fund and leaving it there vs paying someone to manage it.  Find a low cost index fund like Vanguard was what he would always say.  

Cash is not always safe -- right now, for example, inflation is higher than the interest rate.  So if you have cash in a savings account it will go up in value only at the interest rate.  But inflation is climbing faster.  Effectually, your buying power is going DOWN because of inflation.  

Yes, stocks are almost certain to go down under the Biden administration.  I'm 20 years away from retirement, so I'm going to keep mine invested and rely on "dollar cost averaging" (remaining invested and buying more while share prices are down to actually increase my wealth over time, but it requires a complete recovery to work).  For those in or nearing retirement, you may want to consider moving your investments into bonds.  They will make more than a savings account but are much safer than stocks.  

I'm already retired and have 2 separate IRAs. 1 intended for growth, the other for income to supplement Social Security. 

I have no control over how the fund managers invest. Is it wise for me to trust my retirement to the fund managers? My balances have only gone down a little in the last week, I just don't want to sit back while the bottom drops out. 

Just looking for gut feelings not financial advice. 

17 minutes ago, Snake River Clay said:

I'm already retired and have 2 separate IRAs. 1 intended for growth, the other for income to supplement Social Security. 

I have no control over how the fund managers invest. Is it wise for me to trust my retirement to the fund managers? My balances have only gone down a little in the last week, I just don't want to sit back while the bottom drops out. 

Just looking for gut feelings not financial advice. 

That's something you need to discuss with the people that handle the fund and may be have to  be changed based on what the fund is invested in.

You may (or may not) need to put some of it into a safe place that continues to generate enough money for you for to live on for however long you think you have left.

Howdy

Buy stock in companies that make stuff you like.

Applies to a LOT of stocks.

I bought Ruger at around 10...about 66 today.

Best

CR

Lost a lot in the Great Recession, but left it in and it has more than recovered. I got out of a managed fund and have 1 bond and 1 stock index funds. Expenses are .04 % or so.

I manage my moms and am not convinced stocks.will go down under biden.  They usually go up under democrats.  Under Obama it was hard to make money but it could be done.  Biden will likely be the same since many of his advisors are Obama people.  

I refuse to buy any mutual funds but other people are better off buying funds .  On tge rare occasions that I buy a fund, it is on a down day and is an index fund.  Usually if the markets have been down a while.  

Keep in mind though that my advice is free and back in February and March I almost went under because I was too invested in the market and not enough in cash.

I tell folks to buy companies you know , especially if they pay a dividend. 

Be careful of bonds and research them well.

Several states as well as cities are in very poor financial shape. My gut tells me that they might default like dominoes if the economy takes a hard tumble.

Diversity reduces risk.

Some stocks, some bonds, some utilities, some money market holdings.

Consult a local advisor and make your choices. My wife and I are not changing our investment strategy

Good luck.

I had some investments once, three divorces and two kids ago. What I can tell you is that my investment advice is worth less than my dating advice. 

Under Biden, emerging Asian market (Chinese) funds might be a good bet. :blink:

;)

DT

Get an advisor. Not advice from a message board.  :D

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Under Biden, emerging Asian market (Chinese) funds might be a good bet. :blink:

;)

And learning Chinese might be even smarter.  

Not political — just considering how the emerging market activity between the U.S. and China could bring enhanced opportunities for the person who is able to navigate the language and cultural interface. :ph34r:

23 hours ago, Snake River Clay said:

I have retirement money in IRA's. Does anyone have a feel for leaving the funds in these managed accounts as opposed to getting them in a cash account?

I worked in the financial trade for the last eleven years before I retired.. Leave it in the IRA.  Mine is at about 9-10% annual growth (Which is why I still have a mortgage at 4.45%).  The market is just fine.  Trust it.

5 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Get an advisor. Not advice from a message board.  :D

Get a GOOD advisor, someone who has seen good and bad times and a record of getting through them all with a record of success all the way.

I was good, but I always had someone, usually a half dozen or more "someones" to bounce my decisions off of.....and I always took the time to talk to my clients, to keep them apprised of what we were doing and why.

Archived