SASS Wire Forum

22 ammo maybe? Just keep looking!

Yesterday killing time looking for ammo and primers. I know they don't exist but....

I found a site that lists 22 ammo at various sellers by brand and amount. Most are gone but I found 22LR Wolf match grade 500 rounds, which is what I was looking for.

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

I also found out Wolf is no longer made by Lapua but is now made in England by Ely. Another high quality manufacturer.

We shoot a lot of 22 BPCR silhouette at our club.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread, but (I'm gonna do it anyway), where does one find .22 Long or .22 Short ammo?  .22 LR is the standard, now and is all I've seen on the shelves for years.  I've begun to wonder ever since I was told an old rifle I have should only be shot using "Standard" velocity .22 LR, .22 Long or .22 Short.  I don't even know what "Standard" velocity is for a .22 LR.  I do know that all the .22 LR ammo I have is called "Hyper" velocity or some such name indicating the bullets are extra fast.  :D  I haven't seen .22 Longs or Shorts since I was a kid.

So, who's got .22 Longs or Shorts?  (Or "Standard" velocity LRs)

Angus who needs slower bullets

Before this COVID mess started I was frequently able to find .22 Shorts at the local gun shop. Most of the time they were quiet rounds, but technically it was there. Standard-velocity .22LR is actually quite common as everybody wants it to shot out of suppressed firearms. Of course these days you can only find what you can find.

7 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Before this COVID mess started I was frequently able to find .22 Shorts at the local gun shop. Most of the time they were quiet rounds, but technically it was there. Standard-velocity .22LR is actually quite common as everybody wants it to shot out of suppressed firearms. Of course these days you can only find what you can find.

I never thought about the folks wanting it for suppressed guns.  How is it marked?  Does it say "Standard" velocity?  All mine has some indication that it is super-duper powerful and really, really extra fast .22 ammo.  It probably says something about the actual promised velocity.  I should probably look.  :)

Angus

I thought longs were DC'ed decades ago. They were basically a .22 LR case loaded with a .22 short bullet.

JHC    

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long#/media/File:22_Long,_22_LR,_22_Winchester_Magnum.JPG

About 2 weeks before Christmas I bought a box of CCI, marked standard velocity at Sportsman’s warehouse locally. Before the COVID lockdown panic started last April there was 22 shorts on sale at the same location. 

@Black Angus McPherson standard velocity is usually just under the speed of sound, 1,050-1,100 fps.  HV (high velocity) is often 1,200-1,300 fps.  Hyper velocity (spelled out) is usually above 1,400 fps with a lighter bullet.  The standard velocity is often chosen for benchrest competition for it's consistency.  High velocity will drop subsonic by 100yds.  

The local store has a couple shelves full of 22 short and CB.  Neither were stocked last year.  

18 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I never thought about the folks wanting it for suppressed guns.  How is it marked?  Does it say "Standard" velocity?  All mine has some indication that it is super-duper powerful and really, really extra fast .22 ammo.  It probably says something about the actual promised velocity.  I should probably look.  :)

Angus

I've noticed as of late that a lot of .22 ammo isn't marked as to whether it's "standard" or "high" velocity. You have to read the published velocity, usually below 1200fps for standard.

Thanks to all.  I'll have to start checking listed velocity when I buy .22's from now on.  Just guessing, but I suspect anything marketed as "Subsonic" is going to come with a premium price tag.  If I must, I'll buy target .22 LR and reserve it for the rifle in question.  I know the rifle will cycle shorts, longs and long rifles without any problem.  I'd worry a little bit trying to get it to work with the CBs.

If I can find them I think I'll buy a bunch of .22 Shorts.  No question about them being high pressure, easy to identify for use in the correct rifle, and the magazine will hold a whole bunch of those little things.  They're obviously out there, judging by previous replies, I just need to look a little harder for them.

Angus

Archived