SASS Wire Forum

Home Defense Shotgun

18 hours ago, DocWard said:

I think you would agree a sample size of One is not very large. I believe there are two possible reactions at the sound. Run, or open fire if armed. Possibly a panicked fire. I always recommend if going with the plan of cycling an action, to do so from the best cover available.

+1.  When my home was broken into I grabbed my Mossberg semi-auto.  The first the would be burglar knew about me or the gun was when he was looking down the muzzle.  Had he been a bit slower, or me a bit faster, the muzzle flash would have been what alerted him to my presence.

I could have grabbed my Remington 870, and would have been perfectly happy with it, but the Mossberg was closer.

I keep my SASS shotgun in my bedroom. It's a 20" double barrel cylinder bore 10 gauge 3-1/" magnum Aya loaded with B.

My 8 gauge 4" double has too long a barrel for inside work.

My semi automatic ten also has a too long barrel.

I'll add another comment.  There is no "perfect load" for the home defense shotgun.  Someone with no else in the house  or just with a significant other has different options than someone with children.  The same applies to how close the nearest neighbor is, a shotgun slug becomes a viable choice if the nearest neighbor is hundreds of yards away instead of 20 yards.

For me slugs and buckshot are not an option, I live in a 8 unit condo with sheet rock walls.  I ended up choosing Federal low recoil load of 1 1/4 oz of #2 Shot at 1140 fps.  It might be a good idea to determine where your bullets or buckshot will go if you miss the target.

22 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I'll add another comment.  There is no "perfect load" for the home defense shotgun.  Someone with no else in the house  or just with a significant other has different options than someone with children.  The same applies to how close the nearest neighbor is, a shotgun slug becomes a viable choice if the nearest neighbor is hundreds of yards away instead of 20 yards.

For me slugs and buckshot are not an option, I live in a 8 unit condo with sheet rock walls.  I ended up choosing Federal low recoil load of 1 1/4 oz of #2 Shot at 1140 fps.  It might be a good idea to determine where your bullets or buckshot will go if you miss the target.

I would recommend for you to drop the shotgun and get frangible handgun rounds. They will disintegrate on hitting hard material and will not exit a human.

My house is too small to wield a long gun effectively, so I stick with a handgun instead. It might not be as powerful as a 12 gauge but a 17-shot 9mm is still nothing to sneeze at. Besides, I've got it loaded with more ammo than what the entire nearby gun store has! ;)

15 hours ago, Chantry said:

For sure!  When my burglar tried to escape and I shot his tires out I made damn sure my backstop wasn't somebody's house.   I was using 12 gauge Winchester PDX and it did a number on his tires and took chunks out of the road on the other side.

I still remember Officer Franklin asking 'you sure you got both tires?' 

Me 'yeah, I'm sure'.   

A few minutes later on the radio 'we found the car, two flat tires on the drivers side.' 

Franklin and I exchange a look, he high fives me. 

John Benjamin McClendon goes to jail.

16 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

I would recommend for you to drop the shotgun and get frangible handgun rounds. They will disintegrate on hitting hard material and will not exit a human.

'I haven't ruled that out yet, but I want to do more research on frangible rounds.  I would expect at least some penetration of the sheet rock walls even with a frangible round and I want to make sure a frangible round will penetrate enough to stop an attacker.

18 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I keep my SASS shotgun in my bedroom. It's a 20" double barrel cylinder bore 10 gauge 3-1/" magnum Aya loaded with B.

My 8 gauge 4" double has too long a barrel for inside work.

My semi automatic ten also has a too long barrel.

2 hours ago, Chantry said:

'I haven't ruled that out yet, but I want to do more research on frangible rounds.  I would expect at least some penetration of the sheet rock walls even with a frangible round and I want to make sure a frangible round will penetrate enough to stop an attacker.

The Air Marshals use them when flying, so they will do the job.

One more small point I've been itching to get in here.  A SxS will take any kind of ammo or load you like.  Semi-auto or pump must be able to feed and function with the shells.  This lets you use anything from Aguila mini shells to magnum buckshot loads.  The gun don't care.  Mini shells or target loads for the gun shy.  2000fps aluminum slugs for the manly.  All same-same to a double.

47 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

One more small point I've been itching to get in here.  A SxS will take any kind of ammo or load you like.  Semi-auto or pump must be able to feed and function with the shells.  This lets you use anything from Aguila mini shells to magnum buckshot loads.  The gun don't care.  Mini shells or target loads for the gun shy.  2000fps aluminum slugs for the manly.  All same-same to a double.

That's why I took the time and put forth the money and effort to test the loads that I was interested in using for home defense through the 1100 before I made a final decision.   I even patterned them at a distance slightly longer than the longest shot I could possibly have and chose what functioned reliably and patterned the best.

Having 8 #1 Buck in the gun with a full reload (and a pair of 1oz slugs handy just in case) beats a 2 shooter with a sleeve holding a half a dozen more on the butt.

On 1/24/2021 at 7:40 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

I have never been in a self defense incident, so I’m using my imagination.  As a CAS competitor I have used a side by side double so much it is instinctive.  If I were going to rely on a shotgun for home defense, I would use my CAS gun with some extra shells in one of those elastic shell holders that slips onto the buttstock.  For the same reason that professional hunting guides in Africa prefer double rifles— you got 2 shots for sure.  I’m also used to shooting revolvers, so I might briefly consider one of those .410 revolver monstrosities.  Briefly.

My bedside gun is a S&W Model 10, but you asked about shotguns.

Hope you never need to use it.

Use your CAS gun if you must, but be aware they police will take it as evidence.    It took me almost a year and a half to get my Mossberg back.

57 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

I'm pretty good with my double, but I wouldn't consider it for home defense unless I had no other choice of long guns.  Two shots, then you have to do a speed reload under potentially life and death stress?  And where are the reloads coming from?  Are you going to have time to stoke your shotgun belt and put it on?  To each his own, that's not for me.

0D04D121-36FD-4DC6-80D0-23E04B2F7414.jpeg

After giving up on SASS's idea of Wild Bunch, I sold my '97s except one.  It's my Home Defense shotgun now.  It was cut to fit my sweetheart and is also her prime Defender.  

It seems like people have been hesitant to consider autoloading shotguns for defense. I think it's no different from using a semiauto handgun and making sure you test it and find ammo it's reliable with. I have  Remington Versamax that I'd be comfortable using. But primarily I have handguns ready in case of trouble.

On 1/24/2021 at 4:58 PM, Perro Del Diablo said:

A very intimidating sound is a pump action being worked,

There are amazing sounds in this wonderful world...there's the first cry of a newborn...there's the cheer of the fans when their team is winning.  But there is almost no sound that gives one pause...like the sound of a Model 97 being racked in the darkness...unless it's the sound of the slide going home on a 1911A1! :o:D

DeaconKC says it well.

I was a lawman for many years and made good use of the pump twelve-bore.

It's what I'm used to -- it's served me well in some tight spots -- and it argued loudly and most persuasively in my behalf, when I was most in need of a skilled orator!

The main thing I look for in a home defense sg or rifle is size. That’s why I got the Shockwave. The environment of a dark residence is not conducive to a long barrel. Tables, chairs, lamps, TV sets, curtains etc. the Shockwave is wonderfully compact as is my AK under folder.  Of course the AK is not one you would want to employ if over penetration was a concern. For me it’s not. If a furry 4 legged burglar intruded, as one did in a lady’s house a few miles away, the AK would be the one I’d grab. Soft skinned 2 leggers get the Mossberg.

8A302AB3-F892-49AC-AEA5-2414517056A5.jpeg

Archived