SASS Wire Forum

Estimate of when RUGLIN's will be be available.

J.D. Daily

On Guntalk today a Ruger spokesperson stated that the availability of Ruger built Marlins won't be until end of 2021 at the earliest.  Their factory in NC will produce them.  All the equipment Remington used in Ilion NY has to be setup & commissioned at their Mayodan NC facility.

4 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

On Guntalk today a Ruger spokesperson stated that the availability of Ruger built Marlins won't be until end of 2011 at the earliest.  Their factory in NC will produce them.  All the equipment Remington used in Ilion NY has to be setup & commissioned at their Mayodan NC facility.

Looks like they missed that deadline.  :D

Randy

4 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Looks like they missed that deadline.  :D

Randy

Randy,

I should have caught the error created by my fat fingers.

13 hours ago, Tucker McNeely said:

Now we just need Ruger to make a BSS clone.

+1

But, at a reasonable price.

I want a Marlin 1894 with a crescent steel buttplate and the proper contour on the forearm.  It should look like a Winchester 1873 with a Marlin action.

I hope they go back to using black walnut for the stocks, instead of the balsa wood, or hackberry limbs, or mystery "wood" that the Remlins had. 

I hope they take an older, "JM Marlin", and use that as their template, and bring back the wood to metal fit, and finish (no black, spray painted look).

And...NO ALUMINUM...PLEASE!!!!!!!!! 

I have high hopes, because I have an older Ruger Number 1, in 30-06, and it is built with quality...but...Ruger is known for casting, and not forging, so the jury is going to be out on this, until I see the final product, in person. 

I really believe all of us have high expectations for the new "Marlin". The thing about it is, most of us know, and have had experience with, the older Marlin lever actions, and most of us that do, are still alive, and most still have a good memory....(what website am I on now?) 

Anyway, come on Ruger, we know you can do this, right, if you have the desire. If we end up with another Remlin, it will go over like a lead zeppelin...again! Remember Ruger...the standard has already been set, long ago, so it has to meet, or exceed, that standard. Please, do not cheapen the product. 

We love Ruger, but we want quality, and not junk. We just got burned with the Remlin's, so can we be blamed for being somewhat hesitant this time?    Just sayin'. 

W.K.

I would guess the Model 39 might very well be a priority on their list.   

If they can establish some credibility with the 39 (A & M), they'll feel more confident spending time and resources

on the 1894, 336 and 1895.

Just my thoughts because that is what I would do.

When the 39 can establish a reputation to be smooth, accurate and dependable as the long forgotten Winchester 9422,

then Ruger would have hit a grand slam in the lever market, in which Henry would have a hard time in

comparison.

..........Widder

7 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

See, Biden was right. There are jobs for the pipeline workers.

That would be like going to a professional barber for dental work... :lol:

That was probably WHY Remington couldn't produce a quality rifle..... to many 'professional engineers' and not anyone who

actually knows and understands the inner workings of the Marlin.

..........Widder

30 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

See, Biden was right. There are jobs for the pipeline workers.

We all better really be praying that everyone on ole sniffin' joe's staff, is an expert at C.P.R., and that they carry a defib around with them, as well.

The alternative would be even worse than what we have now.

I just hope they will get ahold of Gunner or Widder to show them where and how to add a little metal to eliminate the Marlin bump for good. I heard  Remington talked to Widder before making the Remlins and ignored the advice.:wacko: Someone please call Ruger.:D

30 minutes ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

I just hope they will get ahold of Gunner or Widder to show them where and how to add a little metal to eliminate the Marlin bump for good. I heard  Remington talked to Widder before making the Remlins and ignored the advice.:wacko: Someone please call Ruger.:D

For the record,  a Remington official (not the CEO) contacted me TWICE.   That official informed me during our 2nd email exchange

that he passed along my name and some information to his superiors.   He stated that his superiors indicated little interest in talking to me.

I will admit that I indicted in my 2nd response to them that I had little interest in trying to help them fix their problems

that they refused to admit having.

In my 2nd email, I also shared with them about a 'new' Marlin I had worked on that had 11 QA problems which needed

to be addressed if they ever expected to produce a 'reasonably' good 1894.

When Remington started reproducing some of their later Marlin 1894's,  some (but not all) of those issues I mentioned had

been addressed.

I might also add that my suggestions to them were not about how the stock fit, etc..... but rather the internal workings and

craftsmanship of the parts inside the rifle.

One of the biggest problems I have encountered with Marlins is that folks just don't grasp nor understand the internals

of the Marlin 1894, especially the timing aspect.

Simply put,   longer ammo requires a slightly slower 'initial' timing (downward stroke of the lever).

Shorter ammo requires a slightly faster 'initial' timing, which is also the downward stroke of the lever.

There is a very feasible way to establish timing in the Marlin 1894 which can accommodate a wide range

of cartridge OAL (short or long) and still function with great reliability.

I used that method to create the 'Widdermajik' which reliably feeds the C45S and .45 Colt length cartridges.

This is covered very well on Marauders website.

Another problem is the carrier design.

..........Widder

8 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

That would be like going to a professional barber for dental work... :lol:

That was probably WHY Remington couldn't produce a quality rifle..... to many 'professional engineers' and not anyone who

actually knows and understands the inner workings of the Marlin.

..........Widder

I can see it now.... The new plant manager business cards:   Widowmaker Hill, Marlin Expert

1 hour ago, Griff said:

I can see it now.... The new plant manager business cards:   Widowmaker Hill, Marlin Expert

I turn 70 in March.  Heaven knows I don't need a new job.  

What all I can share with them should only take a couple weeks.

P.S. - anyone want on the priority list for a new Model 39?   :D

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

Yes!!!  And you're still young.  

You know...their reaction to Widder's advice/recommendations, goes right along, and fits perfectly, with their lack of quality control, and a quality product. And...low and behold the company, that they represented, and worked for, went belly-up. Surprise-Surprise, as Gomer would say. Their lack of interest bled over into the final product. Was it ego, since Widder was not an executive with the company? Was it a "know-it-all" attitude, or a "I know best, who are you to tell us what to do" attitude? Seems like it was all those things, and perhaps more. 

I am not at all surprised they failed. I hope they are all out looking for a menial job, flipping burgers at the local greasy spoon...but in reality, I bet they landed elsewhere in management, and the cycle will start all over again. 

Too bad. 

I think it comes down to who's making the decisions. If you someone who is focused on the bottom line, we will continue to see corners cut. If you get someone who cares about the product and sees the value in a reputation, we may very well see some nice products. Unfortunately, most companies are run by the former... but one can hope. And I cannot see the investment cast route, especially if they are transferring all the NY equip down to NC for startup. I know some great Marlin products came out of NY, but I am happy to see them leave that state and it's current "atmosphere".

15 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

I too turn 70 on March 28.

Finally, my age and IQ are the same. :D

OLG 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I too turn 70 on March 28.

Finally, my age and IQ are the same. :D

OLG 

I'm in deep trouble cause mine is during the first part of March..... :o

..........Widder

Just an observation; when a retired CAS gunsmith knows more about the product than ANY of the companies that manufactured it, some serious questions are raised. I had the pleasure of meeting Widder and was fortunate that  he had a moment to look at a rifle that I had just purchased. It took him all of FIVE minutes to explain the operation of this Marlin (JM) , why the “Marlin” Jam occurs AND the fix. I m guessing the original Marlin company manufactured the 1894 in that configuration virtually unchanged SINCE 1894. Serves to reinforce my opinion held since 2003 when I first joined SASS.

The 1894 is a clunky,junk rifle with an inherent design flaw.  I’ve owned several and can’t fathom how anyone could prefer them to a ‘92, let alone a ‘73. I would be interested to learn why so many prefer them. I have my flame retardant sweats on .

Archived