SASS Wire Forum

Any off-shore fisherman around?

Alpo

Found this lying at the edge of the road. At first I wondered what the big shiny diaper pin looking thing was, but after I picked it up and saw the hook I knew it was some kind of fishing equipment.

But for what?

IMG_20210124_161840430.jpg

It could be part of a leader that is broken. Without something to reference for scale it's hard to know. The hook is a circle hook that is designed to draw the hook to the corner of the fishes mouth if slowly reeled in. I have used them for flathead catfish and musky using live bait. It's best to wait until the fish starts to swim away and then reel the slack in. The hook can then set itself and it's fairly easy to remove. I use 100-pound test leaders for musky that use a clasp somewhat like that shown.

Something for scale.

IMG_20210124_172902749.thumb.jpg.73d2a96244b03ec614017f9e556b2ec4.jpg

I noticed that the long piece coming out of the hook piece was broken off. This sucker appears to be made of aluminum, which I would not choose for any kind of fishing tackle.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Something for scale.

IMG_20210124_172902749.thumb.jpg.73d2a96244b03ec614017f9e556b2ec4.jpg

I noticed that the long piece coming out of the hook piece was broken off. This sucker appears to be made of aluminum, which I would not choose for any kind of fishing tackle.

Looks like you caught a Walther. Great catch.....what'd you use for bait?

11 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Looks like a broken diy trotline snap

You are right. The loop end is broken off. 

Archived