SASS Wire Forum

I Never Thought I Would Say This - UPDATED w/time frame

Subdeacon Joe

The last few days my wife has been spending time online looking for Orthodox parishes out of state,  mostly Oregon. 

She finally told me,  "I can't wait for you to retire.   You are hurting more and more,  and I want to have you around for a long time.  And, I'm finally free up with California. "   She was looking at Oregon because she like to get to the shore now and then to listen to the surf.

I suggested that she might want to look at something around Sedalia MO, where her dad was from, or KY where my dad was from.   I  also mentioned that their gun laws are pretty good. 

She found a couple of parishes in KY . Looked at property prices and rent. We could be quite comfortable on her disability and my Social Security.   

Does anyone know anything about the Danville KY area?  That would put us about half an hour from church and half an hour from some of my kin.

ADDED:

We are looking forward about 3 years on this.   Just gathering information at this time. 

7 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The last few days my wife has been spending time online looking for Orthodox parishes out of state,  mostly Oregon. 

She finally told me,  "I can't wait for you to retire.   You are hurting more and more,  and I want to have you around for a long time.  And, I'm finally free up with California. "   She was looking at Oregon because she like to get to the shore now and then to listen to the surf.

I suggested that she might want to look at something around Sedalia MO, where her dad was from, or KY where my dad was from.   I  also mentioned that their gun laws are pretty good. 

She found a couple of parishes in KY . Looked at property prices and rent. We could be quite comfortable on her disability and my Social Security.   

Does anyone know anything about the Danville KY area?  That would put us about half an hour from church and half an hour from some of my kin.

Joe, I don't know if there are any Orthodox parishes here, but if there is one you need to give us a look.  You'd sure be welcome here.  I'd see to it personally.

Sorry that I can't help. But, I wanted you to know that Hubby has finally said we should move.

I've been looking for houses on Zillow. They have a Search Engine that I like. When I find a house that I like, I look up politics, crime rate, taxes, and weather on a Search Engine.

35 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

With A LOT of folks moving out of Cal.,  will it be easy for you to sell your property?

..........Widder

We own a mobile home in a 55+ trailer park.  Have to pay rent on the space.  Not a huge market no matter what. 

38 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Joe, I don't know if there are any Orthodox parishes here, but if there is one you need to give us a look.  You'd sure be welcome here.  I'd see to it personally.

Thank you, 40.  Closest that we have found is about 90 minutes each way.  That's a bit too much time for her to be in a vehicle because of her back and hip problems.  But the offer is much appreciated. 

ADDED:   I  just read to her your comment, Rod.  She said "OK, Ill check into it. "

• Subdeacon Joe changed the title to I Never Thought I Would Say This - UPDATED w/time frame

Saint Thomas the Apostle Orthodox Church – A Parish of the Diocese of the Midwest (OCA)

https://springfieldorthodox.org/

Come be my neighbor, SDJ.  OLG is already here, Lawdog Dago Dom is moving to Bolivar, 30 miles north of here soon.  Gonna be another gunshow in March, I’ll buy your ticket!

:D

Found another in Ash Grove, a few minutes north of Springfield.  Who knew!! 

Home | Theotokos "Unexpected Joy" Orthodox Church

https://unexpectedjoychurch.org/

Well, I expect that MN might be too much for you.

St. Mary's Greek Orthodox Church  https://stmarysgoc.org/

St. George Coptic Church https://stgeorgemn.org/

St. Panteleimon Russian Orthodox Church  http://spro.church/

Gun laws are acceptable.  Not the best, but pretty decent. 

2 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Sorry that I can't help. But, I wanted you to know that Hubby has finally said we should move.

I've been looking for houses on Zillow. They have a Search Engine that I like. When I find a house that I like, I look up politics, crime rate, taxes, and weather on a Search Engine.

We will be near J-Bar and company in Bolivar, Mo.  A house with outbuildings on 5x the land we have in Illinois and $3200 less in property taxes.

Got a trailer? Missouri has a PERMANENT trailer plate. $58.50 one time fee.

Plus we will be in Polk County, Missouri's 7th Congressional district. The second most conservative congressional district in the US. The last Democrat to win in these parts was Lyndon Johnson in 1964.

You can actually talk about guns in public without dirty looks or eyerolls.

We looked for two years in many states, good advice from Utah Bob about taking your time, and finally found a good fit in Bolivar.

Our SASS pards were a big help in all the places we were looking. We will forever be grateful for their help and friendship.

Good luck!

LDD

You and your hubby would certainly be welcome additions to the growing southwest Missouri cowboy population!!

We have at least one near us as well.  We would be honored to have you here.  The living prices are better than most places, no state income tax and there is no snow.

St Nicholas Russian Orthodox

We still have many lots for sale here.  We bought our place with the proceeds of our Cali house, and still had money left over.  We would be honored to have you here as well.

8 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

We have at least one near us as well.  We would be honored to have you here.  The living prices are better than most places, no state income tax and there is no snow.

St Nicholas Russian Orthodox

And if you moved to Florida it would be easy to find tupelo honey. :)

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

St George Orthodox Church of Prescott AZ https://prescottorthodox.com/

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Saint Thomas the Apostle Orthodox Church – A Parish of the Diocese of the Midwest (OCA)

https://springfieldorthodox.org/

Come be my neighbor, SDJ.  OLG is already here, Lawdog Dago Dom is moving to Bolivar, 30 miles north of here soon.  Gonna be another gunshow in March, I’ll buy your ticket!

:D

Found another in Ash Grove, a few minutes north of Springfield.  Who knew!! 

Home | Theotokos "Unexpected Joy" Orthodox Church

https://unexpectedjoychurch.org/

Telling'em I'm here,  will scare'em away.  :lol:

Fantastic SASS clubs and love living in 'Merica.

OLG 

Should the New Madrid fault let go. Middle Tennessee will be oceanfront property. Wartrace is only an easy hour south of Nashville. We would be happy to have you here.

Imis

Just paid our annual property tax. $182. :D

I really appreciate all the invitations.   Gives me the warm fuzzies that people I have never met face to face would want me to move near them (shows what ignorance can lead people to  do:D).

Where we end up will mostly be up to my wife.  FL is likely out, "I don't like to drink my air." was her comment.   MN, a little pricy for us, plus we don't like your state bird.  AZ, while very tempting, doesn't seem to have housing costs significantly under what we pay now.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I really appreciate all the invitations.   Gives me the warm fuzzies that people I have never met face to face would want me to move near them (shows what ignorance can lead people to  do:D).

Where we end up will mostly be up to my wife.  FL is likely out, "I don't like to drink my air." was her comment.   MN, a little pricy for us, plus we don't like your state bird.  AZ, while very tempting, doesn't seem to have housing costs significantly under what we pay now.

How can you not like this bird.

nas-national-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/a1_4357_1_co...

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

See the emblazon I posted with the blazon.

I believe Allie's picture is of a Ringneck Loon.  I'm not sure how they are related to ducks but I guess they might be.

8 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

I believe Allie's picture is of a Ringneck Loon.  I'm not sure how they are related to ducks but I guess they might be.

Ah!  I  thought it was  some sort of duck.  Now I have to look up the difference between ducks and loons.

ADDED:

• Duck

Duck is the common name for a large number of species in the waterfowl family Anatidae, which also includes swans and geese. Ducks are divided among several subfamilies in the family Anatidae; they do not represent a monophyletic group (the group of all descendants of a single common ancestral species) but a form taxon, since swans and geese are not considered ducks. Ducks are mostly aquatic birds, mostly smaller than the swans and geese, and may be found in both fresh water and sea water.

Ducks are sometimes confused with several types of unrelated water birds with similar forms, such as loons or divers, grebes, gallinules, and coots.

• Loon

The loons (North America) or divers (Great Britain/Ireland) are a group of aquatic birds found in many parts of North America and northern Eurasia. All living species of loons are members of the genus Gavia, family Gaviidae and order Gaviiformes.

4 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

HUH?

I understood him. Wassamatta? :D
His coat of arms in the Society for Creative Anachronism. The shield color is green. He’s describing the stripe’s location, and the location of the duck and it’s color gold.

Archived