SASS Wire Forum

Crazy SG Loads

Tequila Shooter

It was kind of started on another thread, but was suggested to start a new thread.

So, what have you put into SG shells for effect either mixed into the shot or as a stand alone and how did it work?  I’ve heard glitter - not so good results, couldn’t really see it; and feathers - not sure how they hold up.

I used red glitter long time ago, and heard of others doing it.  Couldn't really see it.  But some time later I read a report of a shooter putting glitter in his loads, and wind blew the glitter into another shooter's eyes and cut the eye.  So I will put that technique into the "bad idea" category.

Red chalk dust has been used by some.

Depending on wind direction and velocity, putting glitter or colored chalk in shotgun ammo could get a shooter drag-hanged by the posse.

Besides the incident cited by Abilene, there is also a risk of respiratory issues, not to mention trying to clean that "stuff" off of hats, clothing, and equipment.

NOT RECOMMENDED!

I have done the blue and red line chalk, but maybe did not have enough to cause any conplaints. Years ago, I also used some blue  tinted toliet paper as filler. You could see  in the air and little spots of it on the ground. I kidded people saying it was like running a patch through the barrel each shot, Today I would be in trouble for wasting toliet paper. 

I've used the snap line chalk, glitter and feathers.  Feathers seemed to be the most visible.  I don't know about others but to me as a shooter I wasn't seeing the stuff, watching others shoot it was visible from behind the shooter.  Glitter never seemed to show up others told me to try the kind drywall hangers use - never did find the stuff. 

I for one, would not be amused with getting chalk blown in my face. Especially the red stuff, it doesn't wash out worth a damn. Why take  the chance of injuring someone. It should, IMHO be illegal in our close-up game to add anything foreign to our loads.

never tried anything but a friend used colored feathers in his , they were visible and mostly just fun , never had any drift back on the stage shooting line let alone the crowd 

I've been 'messing' with reloading very short shells.  For a shot cup I use ½" strip of target paper--about the same as the old manila paper in school.

For such a small amout of paper it produces quite a large bit of visable bits

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I for one, would not be amused with getting chalk blown in my face. Especially the red stuff, it doesn't wash out worth a damn. Why take  the chance of injuring someone. It should, IMHO be illegal in our close-up game to add anything foreign to our loads.

What about feathers from domestic birds?

I sometimes use shredded paper as filler and that does show its the kind that would be used in an Easter basket. But I have made aromatherapy shotgun loads. I add some incense on top of the powder ....I have used mint quite refreshing and also a combination of Patchouli and sage....I have been told that is smells like some of that wacky tobacky that I have heard tell about.

Hochbauer

Based on the nasty experiences of others (above) and nasty experiences of my own at some matches, I have put "additives" for special "Effects" one the "don't do it" list.  Glitter is Nasty.  Chalk is Nasty.  Flammable metals are extra Nasty.  Feathers can be funny, bu still fall in the cattle gory of "Just Don't"

I could see trying feathers, just for fun. anyone got a recipe?

Confetti also just for grins, but would probably be way reduced power factor just to have enough visible.

Disagree with me? I want video! I want to see video of a "feather-weight" or "confetti-weight" loads knocking down plates.

Really, I do want to see it. Just for fun.

Shot a "Dragon Fire" shell that was given to me. Shot it at the end of the match for a shotgun salute. Caught a small patch of grass on fire. One of the younguns at the match ran up the hill and put it out with one good stomp.

2 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I didn’t see it personally, but years ago there was a story about a pard that loaded a pair of women’s panties. 

Musta been a 3 1/2" 10 gauge!

Kajun

2 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I didn’t see it personally, but years ago there was a story about a pard that loaded a pair of women’s panties. 

I heard that story too.

I have in my possession some of the last "Insane Clown" loads from a former SASS shooter who shall remain nameless. They are .45C, loaded over smokeless, he said BP did not work well. They are  named, Cracklers and Thunder balls, for rifle, Shooting stars, Fireballs and Mad dogs, for pistols. No 12 ga. I know for a fact that some contain Roman Candle balls and will ignite straw and hay easily and repeatedly. Pyrotechnic loads are no longer allowed at Wartrace. 

Imis

Being one of the founders of the Insane Clown Posse, I can say that I have shot colored sequins, Roman candle balls, rolled up crepe paper, feathers, cotton balls, Christmas tree tinsel, confetti, assorted other fireworks effects, and even small paint capsules in my shotgun loads!!

We started the Posse as a fun distraction for amusement and surprise, back when most folks shot CAS more for entertainment and less as an all out competition! 

Members were cautioned to use their best judgement and keep conditions and their surroundings in mind. I’ve set several very small fires with my fireworks loads, but in every case, folks were prepared and no damage was done.  ALSO!! All of my loads contained adequate powder and shot to knock down any KD target.  

Our loads were discussed with Hipshot before they were ever used in a match!

Sequins and confetti are big enough to be seen and big enough that they don’t pose a danger of injuries. Real cotton balls make clouds of fluff. Synthetic cotton balls make what looks like spider web. Crepe paper will make puffs that look like flowers. Feathers look like feathers! Tinsel looks like you decorated that shotgun KD!!

My ultimate goal is to shoot one of my 10ga shotguns at a tossed clay bird and have one of those little parachute men follow the shot out of the barrel!!

I believe that Howdy Doodie is the one that hung the thong on the shotgun KD!!

Howdy Doody! A great guy to shoot with, used to load magnesium shavings with bp loads for night shoots. Spectacular!

Please tell me that Insane Clown Posse from CAS has nothing to do with the psycho "music" group!

1 hour ago, Mad Dog Jack, SASS #77862 said:

Howdy Doody! A great guy to shoot with, used to load magnesium shavings with bp loads for night shoots. Spectacular!

Yes he is and it just do happens that I have his recipe for night shoot loads.  

It was at our club that a woman got a eye full of glitter. It cut her eye and she had to go to the doctor. It took weeks for her eye to heal up. Adding anything to your Shotgun Shells is not a good idea. Adding the wrong thing to the powder charge can turn that shotgun shell into a bomb and or greatly increase the pressure.  IMO there is no place in this game for that kind of fun. It is dangerous and puts others at risk. 

Snakebite 

I’ve seen feathers. Pretty funny. 

big no to glitter!

ive heard about the thong. Been tempted to try it! 

It’s been interesting to see what folks have tried.  I don’t think I’d ever do it, but it could be funny to see.  I wouldn’t think magnesium would be wise at all I’ve seen fires started from tracer rounds before.  The other stuff like glitter and chalk I wouldn’t want to be around when it went off.  As far as the feathers and confetti goes, I already use fiber wads and I can’t see them when they break up so I’d guess that paper and feathers wouldn’t hold up that well, at least with BP.

Feathers and paper do hold up. You can manipulate BP so it gives different results. Use 3f for more power for difficult KDs. More flame and smoke use larger granulation. The picture on my post is a 44-40 loaded with Schuetzen Harzer powder  Not much kick but a lot of flame and smoke. Cannon powder gives almost identical results.

kR

21 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Please tell me that Insane Clown Posse from CAS has nothing to do with the psycho "music" group!

It does not, never did and never will. Still it remains a fair description of our merry band. 

Imis

Archived