SASS Wire Forum

Your Favorite HOT Sauce —-Updated

Yul Lose

I’ve been using a green habanero sauce for the last six months or so on eggs, omelets, tacos and such and it doesn’t seem that spicy anymore so I’m moving up to the next heat level. Are any of you hot sauce addicts like me and if you are what’s your choice?

Mrs. Lose had this stashed away in the pantry. Someone had given it to her a long time ago for me to try and she just came across it. I must say it’s quite a bit hotter than the habanero and has a good flavor. The heat sneaks up on you a bit.

B93BC60F-B2A6-4ACD-8C1E-54378A66DEBC.jpeg

I’ve been watching this TV show called The Hot Ones.  I’m working my way up their list.  

My current hottest sauce is Fiji Fire Native Bongo Chili Hot Sauce.  I put it on boiled eggs, sandwiches, and flour tortillas.  It has a Scoville rating of 14,300.

One that is arriving today is Scotch Bonnet Mustard at 36000 Scoville.

What’s the Scoville rating of your sauce, Yul?

I top out at Tabasco Habanero, and that used sparingly.   I made up some garlic-pepper sauce in the fall using Fresno peppers from my plants.  About the heat level of Tabasco Jalapeno but a richer flavor.  

I've tried some of the insanely hot sauces and all they do is kill the taste buds for the rest of the meal for me.  More power to you if you like the really hot stuff.  

I was going to make a recommendation but I don’t want to get laughed off the page. You gents obviously like HOT sauce. My favorite sauce is just spicy. ;)

Different sauces, depending on the use. I don't like heat just for heat. I like flavor. 

For wings I'm partial to Rickey's wing sauce or a new to me habanero that I picked up a couple weeks ago (don't remember the name- it's in the fridge in Italy and I'm in Spain).

I don't like Tabasco brand. Too vinegary for me. 

I do like Cholula, Louisiana and Tapatio.

I find I use Huy Fong Foods Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce more than anything. 

10 minutes ago, South-Eye Ned said:

I’ve been watching this TV show called The Hot Ones.  I’m working my way up their list.  

My current hottest sauce is Fiji Fire Native Bongo Chili Hot Sauce.  I put it on boiled eggs, sandwiches, and flour tortillas.  It has a Scoville rating of 14,300.

One that is arriving today is Scotch Bonnet Mustard at 36000 Scoville.

What’s the Scoville rating of your sauce, Yul?

Closest I can tell is just over 54,000 scoville.

Have any of you tried Carolina Reaper hot sauce?

11 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Make my own with habanero and Carolina reaper. If I tone it down some cayennes for flavor 

I saw a kit on Amazon and might get that to get me started.

I think I'm not in y'all's league. My favorite is Crystal's Louisiana Hot Sauce because it's NOT terribly hot. I'm kinda like Chief Rick, I like hot sauce but not thermonuclear hot. I've had this stuff in the Caribbean, it good but too hot for me. I use it by the drop. Made of Scotch Bonnet I think. I don't know anyplace to get it here. They use it like ketchup, it's all over the place, esp. in Antigua where it's made.

JHC

https://www.peppersofkeywest.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/susie-600x600.png

7 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I think I'm not in y'all's league. My favorite is Crystal's Louisiana Hot Sauce because it's NOT terribly hot. I'm kinda like Chief Rick, I like hot sauce but not thermonuclear hot. I've had this stuff in the Caribbean, it good but too hot for me. I use it by the drop. Made of Scotch Bonnet I think. I don't know anyplace to get it here. They use it like ketchup, it's all over the place, esp. in Antigua where it's made.

JHC

https://www.peppersofkeywest.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/susie-600x600.png

Found it for sale here:

https://www.hotsauce.com/susies-original-from-antigua-hot-sauce/

Amazon also carries it but it’s not in stock:

Susie's Original Hot Sauce (Pack of 3) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00T6GNAG0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_BTzdGb0GZ0PP4

4 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Different sauces, depending on the use. I don't like heat just for heat. I like flavor. 

For wings I'm partial to Rickey's wing sauce or a new to me habanero that I picked up a couple weeks ago (don't remember the name- it's in the fridge in Italy and I'm in Spain).

I don't like Tabasco brand. Too vinegary for me. 

I do like Cholula, Louisiana and Tapatio.

I find I use Huy Fong Foods Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce more than anything. 

My son says the same thing about Tabasco sauce.  I don't see how it can be "too vinegary" when there is no vingar in it.

It's still my favorite.  I don't like anything so hot my taste buds cease to function.  Most of the others in the Tabasco heat  range have so much added spice, etc. that I can't taste the sauce's base.

5 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My son says rge same thing about Tabasco sauce.  I don't see how it can be "too vinegary" when there is no vingar in it.

It's still my favorite.  I don't like anything so hot my taste buds cease to function.  Most of the others in the Tabasco heat  range have so much added spice, etc. that I can't taste the sauce's base.

In 1868, Edmund McIlhenny mixed up his own personal pepper sauce recipe with three simple ingredients: fully aged red peppers, salt from Avery Island, Louisiana, and high-quality distilled vinegar. Our Original Red Sauce has a uniquely pungent flavor that lets a little go a long way.

For those who enjoy Cholula, a step up comes from Dove Creek Colorado, Carhart and sons El Toro hot sauces come in a green jalapeno, chipotle habanero, and red jalapeno. 

Not so hot for this gringo that I can't taste the sauce.

Doc Nelson

50 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Have any of you tried Carolina Reaper hot sauce?

I’ve heard of it, but haven’t tried it.  The Fuji Fire is almost to my toleration point, but there’s a big leap to the Scotch Bonnet Mustard.  My wife thinks what I’m doing is silly, but I’m tired of plain boiled eggs.

3 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

I can deal with some heat as long as there's good flavor. Flavor always comes first. And heat always comes in moderation. 

A lot of people that know me think I'M nuts. I eat hot stuff most people won't touch. But obviously I'm a long way from the top tier. When we were in Jamaica with some friends, I took us all to the Pork Pit for Jamaican jerk (kinda what we'd call BBQ). My buddy is about like me when it comes to hot. Problem was his wife and kids' idea of hot is black pepper. OOOPS.

JHC

24 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

In 1868, Edmund McIlhenny mixed up his own personal pepper sauce recipe with three simple ingredients: fully aged red peppers, salt from Avery Island, Louisiana, and high-quality distilled vinegar. Our Original Red Sauce has a uniquely pungent flavor that lets a little go a long way.

Well, I'll be dipped.  I went and looked on the carton and bottle and you're right.  I been laboring under a misconception for nigh on 80 years now.

Some days you learn something new no matter how hard you strive to remain ignorant.

Thanks, Rick....but I still like Tabasco better than any of the literally hundred of others I've tried.

My daughter signed me up for a hot sauce of the month club once.  The hottest I ever tasted had a sweet looking little Mexican girl on the label.  Deceiving!  Sort of like suckling a flame thrower.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

I saw a kit on Amazon and might get that to get me started.

I get dried Carolina reapers from Amazon and fresh habanero at store about 10-15 each add little garlic,salt, onion and about cup of tomato make about quart and half

• Yul Lose changed the title to Your Favorite HOT Sauce —-Updated

I'm old enough, and like certain parts of my anatomy enough, that any decent Sriracha does it for me, on the foods you've mentioned.

But, if you're really into heat on your food, and dislike certain parts of your anatomy, including your taste buds.......Dave's Insanity Private Reserve comes in @ 500,000 Scoville units. Ghost peppers, IIR

Um, no. I like a little heat now and again, but when it gets to the point of interferring with the ability to taste the food and all I taste is heat, then no. Mild to moderate is all I desire. 

But I can at least understand liking hot sauce. Whereas everytime I see a golf course all I can think is........what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range.

13 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

I'm old enough, and like certain parts of my anatomy enough, that any decent Sriracha does it for me, on the foods you've mentioned.

But, if you're really into heat on your food, and dislike certain parts of your anatomy, including your taste buds.......Dave's Insanity Private Reserve comes in @ 500,000 Scoville units. Ghost peppers, IIR

I was gifted the above mentioned Dave’s Insanity Private Reserve many years ago by my forever number one guitar playing band partner!!  Came in a neat little wooden presentation box. I went and bought one to use so’s I could keep his gift original!

If you want bear repellent or pepper spray that’s on a level with military grade mace, this is your huckleberry!!

I am afraid to use it except in a cast iron skillet for fear of removing the teflon coating on my other pots and pans!!

So much focus on red, don't forget about yellow:

81ByIN+Rk3L._SL1500_.jpg

This will clear the sinuses from any cold. It might even cure CoViD (or kill you if you have it).

Separately, I like using habanero-peach jam as a base for BBQ short ribs. The jam, brown sugar, a bit of Gulden's spicy mustard, honey, and a touch of vinegar. much better than red BBQ sauce.

I was on a cruise once with that same buddy and his wife ( the one that thinks black pepper is hot). We FINALLY talked her into trying sushi. None of us knew the piece she got had some wasabi on it. Bout near stampeded the poor thing. Don't think she'll be in the same room with sushi since that fateful nite.

JHC

Archived