SASS Wire Forum

S & W 642 grip

Trigger Mike

When my mom lived in st Louis and there were riots there she asked for my help getting a gun.  I suggested a 351pd in 22 mag since it has zero recoil , holds 7 and would be easier for her to handle.  The local dealer had one in stock but talked her into the 642 in 38.  Not a bad choice really.

Now she lives by me so I took her out to shoot it.  Just as I figured,  it hurts her thumb and the trigger pull is hard so the dealer told her to use a finger from both hands to fire it.   

It has the wood grip with finger grooves.  Is there a grip that will help her hold it better and not hurt her right thumb?  A rubber grip maybe?  

He sold her winchester hollow points.  After letting her shoot cowboy loads from it, I gave her hornady lite 90 grain rounds to keep in it.  I told her she would be helpful to someone since they are the pink breast cancer rounds so whomever she shot would not get breast cancer.  She giggled. 

She shot those rounds better.   

Drastically cropped, so everything's fuzzy. The one with the pretty wood grips is my daughter's. The one just above it to the left is mine. I have Uncle Mike's boot grips on mine. I have shot hers and I have shot mine, and mine is much easier to hit with and hurts less.

Boardgeschmorg~2.jpg

642-2.jpg

I have a Smith 19 snubby, I have Pachmayer Compacs. I was just looking at their catalog, they look pretty much like my old ones with a little pinkie notch. Work great, not painful  even with full house magnums. I've shot a few .38 snubbies, some of them are just miserable.

JHC

12 hours ago, Alpo said:

Drastically cropped, so everything's fuzzy. The one with the pretty wood grips is my daughter's. The one just above it to the left is mine. I have Uncle Mike's boot grips on mine. I have shot hers and I have shot mine, and mine is much easier to hit with and hurts less.

Boardgeschmorg~2.jpg

642-2.jpg

Looks like Alpo and I have identical tastes in carry guns. 

I still recommend the larger rubber grips for your mom. Larger surface area means less pressure on the hands during recoil. 

2 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I have Uncle Mike rubber grips on all my S&W J-frames.  They are wrap-around and the recoil is very manageable even in my Model 60 357 magnum. 

Uncle Mike’s no longer makes grips, unfortunately. 

I know we aren’t supposed to post links to other forums but this is the only info I have found online that discusses what happened to Uncle Mike’s grips. Uncle Mike’s, the company, doesn’t tell you what happened if queried. They just say they no longer make grips. 
After going over the forum closely there are posts by nefarious morons with questionable links later on in the posts so I will post this screenshot instead. This has enough info to tell what happened to UM grips:

A4A9E512-E4E0-4EA1-9E4B-3F1C3E11EEB2.thumb.png.6bfcb525188a77aa3dd7c2c02c6c03bd.png

Craig Spegel’s site does not discuss Uncle Mike’s grips. But his wood grips reflect his designs of rubber grips. The man makes some good looking grips. 
http://www.craigspegel.com/

TM, if your Mom likes wood grips but likes the shape of S&W stock grips check out Spegel’s site. 

Howdy,

Finger groooves are in just the wrong place so often.

With the market like it is she could probably sell that one

and get the 22 mag if she wants.

Ruger has the lcr.  Take a look at that.

Best

CR

I had a great little accord V6. Loved it but it hurt my back gettin out.

Finally I sold it and got a CRV.  I sure dont miss that stab of pain every time I get out.

CRV is not as nice as the accord but its ok. And it doesnt HURT me.

I might have an extra box of 22 mag if that helps.

I let her shoot my kimber k6 357 with cowboy loads since it has better sights but she said it was too heavy.  

I might see if she wants to shoot a ruger lcr in 9mm to see how she likes it, if tge hogue grips don't make her happy.   

9 hours ago, WOLFY said:

whole thing could a been avoided if it wasn’t for another gun counter expert

You got that right.   Likely he told her 22 mag is too weak.  I thought the light recoil and extra 2 rounds might be better plus for years she had a NAA mini revolver in 22 mag that I gave her when I was a cop. 

Back then I tried her with a 38 and she picked the 22 mag instead. 

My wife's gun of choice is a Ruger SR22. I told her to empty the mag in a goblin's belly button.

I read years ago where Jeff Cooper recommended that if you could not handle a 45, instead of going with a 38 or a 9 mm (which as we all know would not do anything more than tickle the bad guy), drop down to a 22, practice until you can keep all of your shots on a ping pong ball, and then shoot him in the face.

Cooper's Corner was the first page I turned to.

Archived