SASS Wire Forum

RV life...

Singin' Sue 71615

You know you're aging...when the short chairs in your 5th wheel just won't do anymore.

Found a inexpensive recliner that is the same dimentions as the other chairs, with a bit more height to them...

Gonna enjoy them next month in AZ at Fire and Ice!!!

My question is:

For those who live or are in their rigs for 3 to 4 months a year... where do you find replacement furniture and accessories that are light weight for travel?

I just didn't like anything I saw on the RV sites.

Search "tall camping chair" mine have lasted 3 years so far.  I like the built in side table for setting down the plate to adjust the fire.  Light weight, stable, crossbars on the feet so they stay on top after a rain.  Avoid the "extra tall" or "director" chairs, they are tipy on a grade.  

Another option is the GCI rocker.  It is standard height but the rocking action lets you build momentum to launch out of the chair.  These are about 3x the weight of a regular folding chair and a little longer with the shock.  

:FlagAm: Our Holiday Rambler came with a very nice hide-a-bed sofa in the slide out.  In eight years, only used twice, once in Tombstone and once in Silver City, NM.  After a days drive, three all total, towards TN, I found not all that comfortable to sit on, seat depth was shallow and could not put our feet up.  Just over two years ago, replaced it with the left and right end units of a sectional from American Furniture Warehouse.  Both are recliners, much more comfortable and the pair are 60% of the weight of the hide-a-bed.  Slide out happier as well.  Problem now is Annie has to wake me to eat dinner after driving all day.   

I gave the hide-a-bed to a co-worker who was sleeping on the concrete floor of his low income apartment.  Made him happy.

Also replaced the heavy oak drop leaf dining table and oak chairs with a taller round pedestal table from Wayfair and taller swivel stools that actually match from Costco.  Also overall lighter than previous set up, more comfortable and gave us more room.

Regards,

Chas B:)

1 hour ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Search "tall camping chair" mine have lasted 3 years so far.  I like the built in side table for setting down the plate to adjust the fire.  Light weight, stable, crossbars on the feet so they stay on top after a rain.  Avoid the "extra tall" or "director" chairs, they are tipy on a grade.  

Another option is the GCI rocker.  It is standard height but the rocking action lets you build momentum to launch out of the chair.  These are about 3x the weight of a regular folding chair and a little longer with the shock.  

I am wanting the rocker for sure.

But I need to clarify...

For INSIDE furnishings.

25 minutes ago, Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 said:

:FlagAm: Our Holiday Rambler came with a very nice hide-a-bed sofa in the slide out.  In eight years, only used twice, once in Tombstone and once in Silver City, NM.  After a days drive, three all total, towards TN, I found not all that comfortable to sit on, seat depth was shallow and could not put our feet up.  Just over two years ago, replaced it with the left and right end units of a sectional from American Furniture Warehouse.  Both are recliners, much more comfortable and the pair are 60% of the weight of the hide-a-bed.  Slide out happier as well.  Problem now is Annie has to wake me to eat dinner after driving all day.   

I gave the hide-a-bed to a co-worker who was sleeping on the concrete floor of his low income apartment.  Made him happy.

Also replaced the heavy oak drop leaf dining table and oak chairs with a taller round pedestal table from Wayfair and taller swivel stools that actually match from Costco.  Also overall lighter than previous set up, more comfortable and gave us more room.

Regards,

Chas B:)

Awesome!

As for the bed/couch...we often have guests, so the couch stays.

We did buy 2 recliners from Wayfair to reolace the chairs that came with the rig.

I am seriously thinking on a smaller 2pll table, but really ours is just right for 3 now!!

Thanks!

My Denali trailer had a couch /bed combo with a blowup air mattress in the living room slideout that was uncomfortable to sit or sleep in. I replaced it with a love seat recliner that I ordered thru our local furniture store. I found one exactly the right dimensions and it is really great. 

23 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

My Denali trailer had a couch /bed combo with a blowup air mattress in the living room slideout that was uncomfortable to sit or sleep in. I replaced it with a love seat recliner that I ordered thru our local furniture store. I found one exactly the right dimensions and it is really great. 

We must have lucked out! Ours is the same...fold down and out air mattress. With a good pad cover , it sleeps well.

But yes, really thought on the double recliner as well.

Photos?

:FlagAm: Forgot the most important upgrade.  Replaced the short height toilet with a Dometic Seecamp tall version.  Close to handicap height.  Much more user friendly! At least for us mature individuals.

Regards,

Chas B:P

One of the things I like about My unit is You can sleep two couples and Leave the Table sent up for eating .... And in a pinch sleep another Real sized couple on it ... 

It is 75 inches long , The Bosses and My bed is 90 inches long  and the upper double is 103 inches long .... 

Most smaller units the size of ours the Dinette is only 63 inches long as a bed and as such about useless .

Jabez Cowboy

23 hours ago, Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 said:

:FlagAm: Forgot the most important upgrade.  Replaced the short height toilet with a Dometic Seecamp tall version.  Close to handicap height.  Much more user friendly! At least for us mature individuals.

Regards,

Chas B:P

That is worth looking into!!! We are on the taller side of life!

Archived