SASS Wire Forum

which came first, not chicken or egg, but yellow or plastic 20 ga?

Tulsey, SASS#11236

The ammo Manufactures Desided to All Make Their 20 Gauge Shells Yellow to Avoid Confusion and That 12 Ga. was to be Some Shade of Red .... 

They couldn't seem to agree on the colour for 16 Ga. Some Said purple ,,,,, Ten gauge Most agreed to Brown ..... But as You can see that has all gone by the wayside ...

In 16 ga. I now have Hulls that are Purple, Blue, Red , Black and Orange ..... 

Jabez Cowboy 

I have some Revelation paper hulls that are yellow.

My grandfather purchased them about 1955 from Montgomery Wards.

Duffield

It has been interesting to look more into this subject. On the internet, when you ask about the yellow color for 20 ga and plastic shells, both come up with the year 1960. About that time Frederal started the pushing yellow 20 ga and purple for 16 ga. The yellow color caught on ane eventually became more or less standard. I ran across some much later 20 ga once that were green olive drab like color. Winchester and Remington introduced plastic hulls in their familiar red and green colors. Federal kept with the purple color for 16, but other manufactures did not adopt it. No doubt there were yellow 20 ga hulls made earlier and yellow hulls have been seen in other gauges over the years. Probably best not to bet the farm either plastic or yellow, 

3 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

I have some Revelation paper hulls that are yellow.

My grandfather purchased them about 1955 from Montgomery Wards.

Duffield

Just curious, wasn't Revelation from Western Auto?

i still have a handful of 12 ga in purple hulls from the 60s - they were hunting loads - magnums i think so will never see a SASS shoot , i think they were "imperials" probably a hardware store brand related to western auto , good paper shells with a slick finish and high brass 

5 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Just curious, wasn't Revelation from Western Auto?

I may have the brand wrong, this was a long time ago.  He got them at Montgomery Ward.

Duffield

in the early 60s revelation was the western auto brand - i worked at one and bought my mosberg made palimino there it was marked revelation , had gorgeous walnut stock , wish i had it back [long story for a campfire night] the one i replaced it with is no where near as pretty and is marked mosberg 

i dont recall what wards used , i remember sears , 

Here is an interesting article.

https://guns.fandom.com/wiki/20_gauge

It makes the often heard comment how the 20 gauge is REQUIRED to be yellow.   This one makes the point so as they are not confused with the 16 gauge.   That makes sense.   Much more than the other reason I've seen about so people don't accidentally try to put them in a 12 gauge.

But anyway...   While today everyone does make their 20's yellow, is this actually a REQUIREMENT of the law, or is it just an agreed upon standard?

If I m not mistaken, Imperial were shells made by CIL, a Canadian company. I They were  sold by OTASCO, aka Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company whose commercials had the slogan, "Thank-you. Here's your change."  A twenty gauge will go into a 16, and fall through a 10 ga,  but the real concern is putting a 20 ga shell in a 12 gauge gun. The shell will fall through the chamber and stick in the barrel causing an obstruction.  a 12 ga shell would chamber on top of the stuck 20 ga and bad things would happen 

Archived