SASS Wire Forum

More whiteness

Utah Bob #35998

I hate snow. 

They are telling us here in the Tucson area that tomorrow's high is supposed to be 48F above zero with 90% chance of rain.  Monday, 46F & 90%.  But Tuesday, 45F with low of 27F and....gasp....50% chance of SNOW!!!  My God!  We're all going to DIE!!!!

In central NC 3-4" of snow a couple of times a winter is normal, and a 10" snow every 5 years is expected. 

The last 2 winters have been mild or dry.  We got 10 feet last year if you measured horizontally: 10 feet of snow, then a patch of grass, then another thin patch maybe 10 feet wide, and on and on.

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Bob, our place in the San Juans was supposed to get a dump this week. Have about 2 feet now, bestter be checking with the neighbors soon for shovel duty!!

It cooled down here about an hour ago...did you send your storm my way??

Yes but it’s a little wrung out. But fear not..... more on the way. :D

23 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yes but it’s a little wrung out. But fear not..... more on the way. :D

We don't look as though we will get any out of this one here. Praying it will be another stellar winter snow like 2018 at the cabin!!! What a great summer we had that year!!!

17 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I hate snow. 

They are telling us here in the Tucson area that tomorrow's high is supposed to be 48F above zero with 90% chance of rain.  Monday, 46F & 90%.  But Tuesday, 45F with low of 27F and....gasp....50% chance of SNOW!!!  My God!  We're all going to DIE!!!!

You ain't gonna DIE!

We got three inches last night and Mama Nature is taking it all back already.

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Wimps.

Up here, we're still camping out.

When I moved here (East Tennessee, Smoky Mountains), I let out a chuckle when they closed the schools because of a prediction of 2" of snow.

2"????

Went shopping for groceries later that day, despite warnings of the dangers of driving down a snow-covered road on a hill. Hey, I've driven in the Sierras in snow, I've got this! I did have that.

An hour later, back from the store, could not get back up the hill. Made 3 attempts. Had to back down each time. Parked my car (with real snow tires) at the bottom, laced on my snow boots. Got my walking stick out of my emergency pack, keeping a bottle of water and a couple snacks, swapped out most of the rest of the contents of the backpack for my groceries, put on my gloves, and hiked up to my cabin.

2" of snow here is worth noting!

We are in a peculiar location. Sometimes we get 1" - 1 1/2 " of snow and some times we get 24" of snow. 

All do to our moist enviroment I suppose. But the mere hint of snow on the six o'clock weather report and there is 

panic in the air. Some of our transplanted friends from warmer climes seem to think that the faster they can spin their tires, the more traction they can create. And the harder they brake, the sooner they will stop skidding toward that tree. 

But it is very pretty in the Cascade Range and also in the Olympic Range. 

Did I mention that we have a lot of hills around here. Steep ones too!

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

When I moved here (East Tennessee, Smoky Mountains), I let out a chuckle when they closed the schools because of a prediction of 2" of snow.

2"????

Went shopping for groceries later that day, despite warnings of the dangers of driving down a snow-covered road on a hill. Hey, I've driven in the Sierras in snow, I've got this! I did have that.

An hour later, back from the store, could not get back up the hill. Made 3 attempts. Had to back down each time. Parked my car (with real snow tires) at the bottom, laced on my snow boots. Got my walking stick out of my emergency pack, keeping a bottle of water and a couple snacks, swapped out most of the rest of the contents of the backpack for my groceries, put on my gloves, and hiked up to my cabin.

2" of snow here is worth noting!

You should have dropped your tire pressure to 10 PSI.  This trick was taught to me by my father who learned it from a old timer tow truck driver in in 1960.   Who pulled him out of a snow bank along Hwy 50 in CA.  The car had chains on & it still slid into a snow bank.  I remembered the trick on Dec 7th 1971 while driving I40 in TX.  I had been discharged from the Army at Ft. Riley that day.  Couldn't drive I80; because, it was closed at Little America due to a nasty storm.  When we hit TX we ran into freezing rain.  Rather than buying chains I remembered the tire pressure trick.  Besides chains aren't that effective on ice.

Archived