SASS Wire Forum

Wanted - 1873 Taylors Ladies and Youth Carbine

I am new to the SASS and looking forward to the competition and fun. My wife and I have been doing a lot of research online, attended a match, talked to competitors, and have been purchasing firearms and ammunition needed to start competing this spring. I have everything I need to start competing, but am having a harder time finding what my wife may need.

I am looking to buy a 1873 carbine or rifle in 357 with a shorter barrel and shorter LOP for my wife. I was thinking the Taylors Ladies and Youth would be perfect for her. If anyone has one of these or something very similar for sale, I would appreciate if you could let me know. I would consider one in good shape and tuned or not tuned.

Thanks. Looking forward to having fun and meeting people in this sport.

On some of the shorter barreled rifles...make sure they will hold 10 rounds in the magazine 

Thanks Old Man :D 

The Taylors Ladies and Youth will hold 10 38s .... according to catalog, but a lot of the other 16" guns will not. I would be OK with 18" barrel with a shorter LOP.

The 1873 rifle has a pretty short length of pull out of the box...I went with the base LOP on the rifle for my wife, but did have LongHunter cut down her shotgun stock. Stayed with the 18" barrel for my wife's 1873...while you might be able to physically cram 10 .38 Spc rounds into the magazine of a 16" barrel, I have seen the comment several times that the last round can be quite difficult to push into the tube.

18 minutes ago, Amigo said:

The 1873 rifle has a pretty short length of pull out of the box...I went with the base LOP on the rifle for my wife, but did have LongHunter cut down her shotgun stock. Stayed with the 18" barrel for my wife's 1873...while you might be able to physically cram 10 .38 Spc rounds into the magazine of a 16" barrel, I have seen the comment several times that the last round can be quite difficult to push into the tube.

I have two 16" uberti trappers and don't have this problem on either of them.  The 10th round is just as easy to load as the 1st round.  Cut the magazine tube and follower spring down or just buy SBGW mag tube system. It's very simple.  Not sure why the myth exists that 10 rounds can't be loaded, but I see it all the time.

23 minutes ago, vidette said:

I have two 16" uberti trappers and don't have this problem on either of them.  The 10th round is just as easy to load as the 1st round.  Cut the magazine tube and follower spring down or just buy SBGW mag tube system. It's very simple.  Not sure why the myth exists that 10 rounds can't be loaded, but I see it all the time.

If you don't cut th magazine tubeand follower spring....is there difficulty with the 10th round? Sounds like the answer is "yes?" That could be why people mention it.

Thanks for the info Amigo and vidette.

I will keep looking for one. It has got to the point that you have to be online at the right time and right website to find any new inventory for a particular CAS rifle. The revolvers seem to be more readily available.

Bearfoot- another idea is to just buy a 16” uberti trapper or cimmaron brushpopper and cut the stock down to the LoP you want. Install a recoil pad and you’re good to go. Lots of cowboy gunsmiths can do this for you at reasonable cost. I didn’t have a hard time finding these rifle models late last year. I haven’t looked today but I bet there’s one on GB. 

Archived