SASS Wire Forum

Gun prices insane or just Gunbroker prices insane?

Dantankerous

Or is my part of the world still sane?

A local FFL has a Ruger Redhawk in .357 for sale. The 8 shot model, stainless, 6" barrel. Nice gun. Been for sale for months. Priced at about $900. NO takers.

On GB right now an auction bidding is seeing the same gun currently at almost $1900! Whaaaaaaaaat?

I thought maybe a discontinued model. Nope, still on Ruger's website with an msrp at just over $1000.

A modern, currently produced non collectable revolver going for close to 2K online? WOW!

And I thought ammo was expensive! :D

I think it’s because people can’t find it on any online store....then gunbroker becomes the primary purchasing spot online and people adjust to what it takes.  It’s a country wide audience as well for a very limited supply.

Small shops without online sales options are probably holding the deals right now, especially if they are not savvy to what people are willing to pay right now.  

I’m still in selling mode...1,000 small rifle primers for 225 bucks, lots of ammo, guns etc.   Clean out what you haven’t used or don’t want now and clean up!  Sit on it for a few months and wait.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Or is my part of the world still sane?

A local FFL has a Ruger Redhawk in .357 for sale. The 8 shot model, stainless, 6" barrel. Nice gun. Been for sale for months. Priced at about $900. NO takers.

On GB right now an auction bidding is seeing the same gun currently at almost $1900! Whaaaaaaaaat?

I thought maybe a discontinued model. Nope, still on Ruger's website with an msrp at just over $1000.

A modern, currently produced non collectable revolver going for close to 2K online? WOW!

And I thought ammo was expensive! :D

Today I saw a 500 round case of Federal American Eagle .223 going for $450 on an auction site and with the 20% buyer's premium that means it will cost $540 PLUS shipping if the buyer doesn't live within a reasonable  driving distance.

Things are just insane right now

Around here all the well known gun stores have .22 single action revolvers and Browning Buckmarks. That’s it except for the occasional Glock, Beretta or Sig that comes in and gets snatched up. 
I overheard 2 guys at the range the other day talking about paying $1000 for a Glock 17 and $1200 for a Glock 19. One guy I know paid $1000 for a Polymer 80 kit gun. 
Weird. 

Local store has guns, mark up is around 10 to 15% of wholesale. Have AR15's, Glocks, and others. Though he seems to be selling them almost as quick as they come in, wait one day and it will most likely be gone. Times like these will make him loyal customers. Ammo is very limited hit or miss and up in price to 1/3rd or more than in past. Also limited amounts allowed per purchase. Primers, if you are lucky you might find shotgun primers from time to time. Powder has some, but nothing I want or use. 

The worst crazy I've seen so far seems to be online - brings together the desperate and the gougers. Have heard/read of some crazy in local stores - imagine that won't wear so well for them though.

In this crazy mess we call the world this last year...things aren't insane.

The people who are paying the prices are insane!

I told my daughter yesterday, while having to eat our pizza OUTSIDE in the wind during our lunch date, that as long as people continue to go 'along with the crowd' that things will not change.

Sad times we are seeing.

The prices of many things on Gunbroker have been plain nuts for months. I paid a small premium for a pistol a few months back...couldn't find it in stock anywhere made a snap decision on the auction to do the Buy It Now price that was right at the MSRP...which certainly isn't the normal selling point of six months prior. Had to pay that extra credit card fee (that should just be rolled in, period) and then the shipping...so it was certainly more than finding something in a local gun store.. But I was willing to pay that price (I had just watched a Joe Biden speech on the news...). During the course of the next week, I watched that same model sell a couple times at prices $500 and $600 more than I paid...kind of made me feel good about that snap decision to buy. In addition to more people buying guns this past year, which kind of started us toward the shortage, as prices went up, every Tom, Dick and Jane figured "why not make some money off this?" and started buying guys that they could resell for a small profit on Gunbroker and elsewhere. Add this extra buy-to-resell on top of the current market shortage and we are seeing the really crazy prices on Gunbroker...and there are people out there willing and able to pay those prices for some of those guns. I have seen people regularly scouting the local gun stores, the gun clubs, the big sporting goods stores, and even the classifieds on sites like this one. I don't expect things to get better any time soon. With some additional bills introduced into Congress...could even get much worse.

4 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

In this crazy mess we call the world this last year...things aren't insane.

The people who are paying the prices are insane!

I told my daughter yesterday, while having to eat our pizza OUTSIDE in the wind during our lunch date, that as long as people continue to go 'along with the crowd' that things will not change.

Sad times we are seeing.

I'm generally not a panic buyer. Problem with this one is no telling when/if it will end under the Communist Occupation. I just bit the bullet (ha ha) and bought a box of 9mm hollowpoints, by the time I paid two prices for the shells in addition to shipping and tax 50 rds cost a whisker over $85.

JHC :angry:

I have a client who just paid $2678.57 for two Ruger Mini-14's. One stainless/synthetic, new, #5817, 5.56 NATO. One used 1996 vintage, #5816, blue/wood, .223 with 1 Ruger 5 rd mag, 2 Western 30 rd, 4 USA 30 rd, and 1 Precision Mag Industries 30 rd. Seems a bit high to me, but he can afford it. :mellow:

48 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Sounds like I did OK getting my Wrangler's for $199.00 each at a LGS.

Yes you did.

Wranglers in my area are still available at prices around $199 to $249. One local dealer selling Wranglers for $195 cash. Ammo availability however...

Another thing I have noticed, revolvers are out selling semis probably 3 to 1 locally. 

My guess people preparing for upcoming semi bans.

I recently met someone who is new to shooting and was quite all right with having to pay just over $1000 for a Sig 365.  She was told by the dealer that this is the suggested retail.  I showed her the same gun on Sportsman's Warehouse website for $499 and she was rather taken back.  Combine  greed and a uninformed consumer and this is what you get.  There are still many ethical LGS that charge a fair price on guns and ammo and have not jumped into the greed express lane.  I will only support the ethical gun and ammo dealers.

10 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I'm generally not a panic buyer. Problem with this one is no telling when/if it will end under the Communist Occupation. I just bit the bullet (ha ha) and bought a box of 9mm hollowpoints, by the time I paid two prices for the shells in addition to shipping and tax 50 rds cost a whisker over $85.

JHC :angry:

We saw that looking for ammo for our son. Amazed.

10 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

We saw that looking for ammo for our son. Amazed.

A friend who doesn't pay any attention to current events or politics and certainly not firearms related issues in conjunction with the above has a son who just turned 21 and they decided to buy a Glock 19. They have not been able to find ammunition to even shoot it once now for 4 months. (Apparently the dealer sold him the gun before they discussed ammunition availability…). He recently contacted me and asked how come there is no ammo to be found.  I asked him if his head had been buried in the sand for the last year ;) and I don't think he liked that. :o  I told him where he could find some ammo locally but he was not going to like the prices. Nor is he going to like being restricted on how much he could buy although with current pricing that's pretty much the restriction in itself. I don't know if he's ever found ammo for his son's new gun but I'm doubting it. 

55 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

A friend who doesn't pay any attention to current events or politics and certainly not firearms related issues in conjunction with the above has a son who just turned 21 and they decided to buy a Glock 19. They have not been able to find ammunition to even shoot it once now for 4 months. (Apparently the dealer sold him the gun before they discussed ammunition availability…). He recently contacted me and asked how come there is no ammo to be found.  I asked him if his head had been buried in the sand for the last year ;) and I don't think he liked that. :o  I told him where he could find some ammo locally but he was not going to like the prices. Nor is he going to like being restricted on how much he could buy although with current pricing that's pretty much the restriction in itself. I don't know if he's ever found ammo for his son's new gun but I'm doubting it. 

Yes, seems everywhere.

We've been there before, yet not under the 'threat' we are seeing today.

Our son bought, was told ammo was coming the following week...he arrived to find the shop owner had sold his entire shipment of the specific ammo to one customer that had been there earlier.

Our son let him know he thought that was poor business!

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Another thing I have noticed, revolvers are out selling semis probably 3 to 1 locally. 

My guess people preparing for upcoming semi bans.

The mag @Lawdog Dago Dom wrote for had an article to that effect. Promoting lever action rifles and wheel guns. Just hope the grabbers don't come to a match:ph34r:

None of the gun shops around here are gouging on gun prices but they’re all selling at full retail and not giving any discounts at all, police, fire, military etc. Ammo is another story:angry: 

if you have to buy 9mm or other ammo right now, the best value buy is the premium defense rounds.  The mark up on those is much less than FMJ.  What used to be 8 to 10 bucks for 50 is now 30-40.  A 50 round box of HST is maybe 60-70 bucks now on GB.  Might as get the good stuff....makes more sense.

Howdy,

I may have done something wrong but I did a locate for 10/22 on gb.

They show four of em for sale.

Hard to believe that.

4 ruger 10/22 on all of gunbroker?

Best

CR

I plugged in "Ruger 10/22" and it gave me 184 pages of 10/22's and related items. Twenty of twenty four listings on the first page were 10/22's (Not magazines or accessories)

Archived