SASS Wire Forum

Vexillophile - loves flags

I admit it. I'm a Vexillophile.  I love flags.  I've had a fascination with flags since I was a little boy.  One of the reasons I enjoy miniature wargaming the Napoleonic Wars is because of the plethora of flags.  In the same vein, I love our state flags.  Fifty (50) different flags.  Some I think are more interesting than others.  If you would please, out of our 50 state flags, which are your five favorites?

6SRSlw.png

My five (5) favorite state flags are:

1.  Arizona

2. Texas

3. New Mexico

4. Georgia

5. Maryland

:FlagAm:

You and Sheldon Cooper! :lol:

New Mexico

Arizona

Ohio
Texas

Maryland

I like Georgia. The damn Yankee social justice warriors raised all kinds of hell. "You can't have that awful Confederate states bull crap on the flag. You MUST change it."

So they did.

Laughing dog.gif

Pound on the floor laughing2.gif

Snicker.gif

When we were staying with my sister in law last year in Charlotte, there was a Covid press conference on tv one day. Seeing as how Charlotte  is just a few miles from the SC border we would get a lot of SC stations. Not knowing the local officials while a governor was speaking I noticed the state and US flags on the stage and asked my SIL if that was a North or South Carolina flag. 
“Oh I don’t know, I don’t pay attention to stuff like that”

Knowing she grew up in Florida I asked her if she knew what the Florida state flag looked like. After thinking a few minutes she asked, “Does it have an eagle on it?” I guess she really didn’t pay attention. 
Oy!:wacko:

Hello, everyone.  My name is “Ned” and I am also a vexillofile.  I’ve got about 30.  It started when we were kids playing battle, and my brother designed as flag out of a white sheet.

8F54186E-4017-47D7-BABC-39D21EAE708F.jpeg

3CB3BE7E-B015-4923-BDF2-79137DDDFA67.jpeg

617EBDF6-51F1-4312-BE62-E7918640FB1D.jpeg

A friend of mine's wife has a business restoring museum flags. She learned her trade working for the National Park Service in Harper's Ferry, WV. He ended up buying a new, but unfinished restaurant to house her processing tanks. It is a very slow and precise process. She has done work for some really wealthy folks, including a Texas billionaire who collects US Civil War regimental flags. These have been rolled up for perhaps 150+ years. Some folks take collecting flags to interesting levels.   

I often have an Ohio flag on our guncart when shooting out of state. Most people are unfamiliar with Ohio's swallowtail design and don't realize that it is a state flag.

3 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

I often have an Ohio flag on our guncart when shooting out of state. Most people are unfamiliar with Ohio's swallowtail design and don't realize that it is a state flag.

My wife is from OH, and my first trip to her hometown to meet her parents was an eye-opening, fun experience, including spotting the different shape of the state flag.  Then, I had a buckeye.

On 1/22/2021 at 7:11 PM, Alpo said:

I like Georgia. The damn Yankee social justice warriors raised all kinds of hell. "You can't have that awful Confederate states bull crap on the flag. You MUST change it."

So they did.

And the social justice windowlickers are just fine with the new one. 

Goes to show you just how little American History is taught in schools.  It also shows that their complaints were more about imposing their will on others than any sort of principled stance.

(For those that are confused, if you take the State Seal off the blue field on the current flag and substitute a circle of 13 white stars, you will have the 1st, or Provisional, Confederate National Flag.)

Here's another to consider (unfortunately, I currently reside in Marion County, 15 minutes from Salem)

image.png

State of Jefferson History

Top five favorite state flags:

1). Texas ( because I live here)

2). Ohio (wife born there)

3). Tennessee (born there)

4). Alaska. (It’s cool)

5). Arkansas (because I lived there)

11 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

image.png

Kind of surprised that you didn't go old(er) school with:
Bennington Flag | Florida Star | USA Flags | The Flag Shop

since it dates back to 1810 and the Republic of West Florida.  Also the Republic of Texas "Burnet Flag" (OK, that one had either a yellow or white star, with yellow being more common), as well as the early Confederacy.

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Kind of surprised that you didn't go old(er) school with:
Bennington Flag | Florida Star | USA Flags | The Flag Shop

since it dates back to 1810 and the Republic of West Florida.  Also the Republic of Texas "Burnet Flag" (OK, that one had either a yellow or white star, with yellow being more common), as well as the early Confederacy.

It was also used as a battle flag for one of the Confederate armies, if memory serves.

It's also the national flag of Somalia.

LOYALTY requires that I select Idaho.

:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

It was also used as a battle flag for one of the Confederate armies, if memory serves.

It's also the national flag of Somalia.

Hurrah, hurrah

For states' rights hurrah

Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag

That wears a single star

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Hurrah, hurrah

That wears a single star

We sang that song in grade school. But, in the early 60's, political correctness had not yet run rampant and we sang, "for SOUTHERN rights hurrah"

When living in Alabama, a retired O-6 Army friend of mine said he wondered why so many people had a front license plate of an Air Force Brigadier General's flag.   I got tickled but explained to him about "The Bonnie Blue Flag."

White Star License Plates | White Star License Plate Designs

18 hours ago, Alpo said:

Hurrah, hurrah

That wears a single star

One of the few tunes I can play on my fife.

1. Arizona, because I live here, and Barb was born here.

2. Iowa, because I was born there.

3. Colorado, because I used to live there, and the Denver Broncos football team is there. 

4. Georgia, because I used to live there. 

5. Texas, because Texas just has a really cool state flag.

I used to live in Illinois, but I do not like the state except all of my family lives there and I don't like their flag or anything about Illinois.

3C7ED7D7-B872-4244-AF9C-58327104DF13.thumb.jpeg.870476e3679211d6d437280ae2161b19.jpeg

On 1/24/2021 at 5:23 PM, Sixgun Seamus said:

We sang that song in grade school. But, in the early 60's, political correctness had not yet run rampant and we sang, "for SOUTHERN rights hurrah"

And that is the correct lyric. I’ve never heard “for states rights”.

Archived